Building headers, it's easy.............

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T2T

Still running with scissors!
the smallest town in the smallest county in the s
It's really not difficult to build these..................We used SCH 10 stainless steel tubing and 90* elbows.
100_3648.jpg

The first thing we did was cut out these flanges, 3/8" SS. Cut these on the band saw and Bridgeport.
100_3651.jpg

Nice Job........

Wow, very nice looking headers....:cool:
If it was only as easy as you make it look.....;)
I need to redo the header on the 22 Dodge when I get a chance,
or at least change the flanges to something close to the port size.
I have the new flanges, just need a "round to it". '22

That looks great.
I'm agona have to try that.:eek:
You certainly have tubes runninnnnnnng everywhere.:eek:
Do you attempt to make them equal length?
How important is that equal length thing anyway?

How important is that equal length thing anyway?

I think it's more important on higher revving engines. It'll make your motor breath better, which in turn boosts HP, and may help efficiency a bit too. If you were going to get new headers anyway, go for it, but it probably isn't going to be worth replacing a perfectly good non-tuned header.

I don't recall how it affects torque at the moment.

My understanding is as one pulse of air leaves the headers, it creates a vacuum behind it that helps suck the exhausted air out of the next cylinder. If the headers aren't tuned, that pulse or vacuum may be at the wrong time and will not help or even hinder the next cylinders evacuation.

EDIT: Started thinking about this. May even help low end torque more than high end HP as I think it will help scavaging at low speeds more.

Last edited:
T2T,
That is awesome work & I love the Nailhead! I've been tryin' to put a round pipe in a square hole all my life & just found out... all I really needed was a tool!!! Hummmm!!! :eek:

I have the new flanges, just need a "round to it".

Er... see below!!!

Attachments

• tuit.jpg
    tuit.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 5

Latest posts

Back