9-11

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the reverend muddy grimes

Brother Binder
well, the aniversary is in 2 days. What were you doing? I was a fire fighter. That day is one I will never forget. We were all called to the station for a prayer meeting, and warned of weird terrorist plots that im sure someone thought was accurate, but never came about, like stealing ambulances and using them to bomb schools. I am a man in the the most cliche ways possible, but I am unashamed to say i cried from 8 am on that day.

I was gettin' ready for work when my sister-in-law called & said turn on the TV. I knew immediately it wasn't an accident... shortly thereafter the 2nd plane hit. I still can not comprehend to this day how human beings could ever think of killing innocent people like that! Only a devil could even conceive something like that!!! :eek:

BoB

Grandmother-in-law called and woke me up. I watched the live broadcast for hrs. Heart wrenching. I recall the rebroadcast of that day a year later - they sanitized out the shots of the many jumpers. How soon things are washed over, distorted, and forgotten.

May God be with those that died that day and their families.

i still know were, when, and what i was doing when the plane hit . dept heads
called everyone out of the field back to the shop .about then they started showing live tv of the towers just as they fell .

I was on my way to pick up a set of plans for a job we were bidding. My brother called me and told me about the planes hitting the buildings and the guy I was supposed to meet didn't come in because he was so upset. I went home without the plans.

I was a paid fire fighter at that time.

I was up working on the satellite dish we had on the roof of the fire house. The chief called up to me on the two way and said that the twin towers were just hit be a plane. Being that I was working on the dish I through he was kidding at first. Then I came down and seen the second plane hit the towers. My heart just sunk. The hole station was quite. We just stood there what seem like hours looking at the TV.

I lost two fiends that day on the FDNY and a hole lot of brothers. My one good friend was lost in the mess and came out hours later. He was one of the guys on ladder 6. He told me later that they were in the stair tower on the six floor helping an older lady out of the building when they heard want sounded like a train going by and there was so much dust that they could not see. When the dust cleared all they seen was sky above them.

Last edited:
I was also getting ready for work when my sisterinlaw called to tell me to turn on the TV. First tower was already hit. Then I saw the second plane hit the next tower.

Something I will never forget. So many lost their lives that day.

I drive a dump truck and that day we were grinding a few city streets in Cleveland. After the attacks trying to get into downtown Cleveland to dump was nearly impossible. All of us drivers just listened on the radio and could not believe what was happening......

I was building homes and I remember exactly where I was on that day! My whole crew stopped and listened intently. We thought it was a joke at first! My brother in law was working near the towers and saw the 2nd crash. It was a sight that he said will be imbedded in his mind forever!:(...CR

I was working on a copier and it was in a home which is unusual. The customer called me into thier living room and showed me what was happening and I told them I thought it was muslims. I went about my work day after, I felt it honored our people that they did not stop our work. It is one of the most cowardly things you could do ( what they did). To lighten the mood I like to think when they get to heaven and get thier 70 virgins they will be 75 years old and 500 pounds, you know the ones that have a reason to be virgins. I don't like modern country music but that song, " have you forgotten" really gets to me. If I was a single man I would have enlisted in the military the next day. I still get angry when I think about it.

:( Brace yourselves for my experience that day....

................... for starters, I will never forget that morning for the rest of my being.........:eek:

I am a building engineer in Manhattan, 20 years straight at the same place. I had an awesome view of The Towers from my building. I can recall times I had to work nights and I would head to the roof to soak up the view. I was a country boy workin in the Big City enjoying life. I even recall wondering what it would be like to be the engineer of one of The Towers :eek: :eek: :eek:

That morning was beautiful out, it was starting to get a little cooler compared to the hot summer days. I remember my calling the alarm company to take my sprinkler system off line for my servicing of the system. We do this so the FDNY doesn't get sent to buildings for no emergencies, so we take the systems off line and do our servicing. I hold multiple FDNY Certificate of Fitness licenses. I work with Sprinkler Systems, Compressors, Standpipe Systems, Class E Highrise Fire Alarm Systems, Low PSI and Hi PSI Boilers, E.A.P./F.S.D. which is Emergency Action Plan/Fire Safety Director. I hold other licenses needed from the D.E.P. and the E.P.A. I also repair the elevators....

Anyhow, that morning I called and went off-line just after 8- I made the call in my office marked my logbook and went up to the deli to get a fresh cup of hot tea before I headed to the sprinkler tanks which are up in the tankroom on the roof.

When I get to the roof- I unlock the tankroom and climb in and opened the valves and fired up the air compressor to pump up the system. I listened to the compressor and checked my gauges and stepped out the tank room. I got to the third step and heard something really loud, as my head snapped up I saw the belly of an airliner- if I had enough time I damn well could have thrown my tea at it !! H-O-L-Y C-H-I-T I thought as I ran toward the 5th Ave side of my building. When I reached it, I saw what I will never ever forget in my life. I watched it plunge into the side of the North Tower and the huge fireball that erupted..... then it was office papers, which was odd at first as the papers looked like confetti floating in the air. Black smoke poured out and I could see the fire burning up thru the opening.....

I stood there dumbfounded, it was like you were watching a movie- unreal. :eek: it was then that I started to see them.....the jumpers.... :(

I ran to the tankroom to shut the compressor down and climbed down the elevator shaft to the freight elevator, where I called home to tell my girl to turn on the tv- a jet just struck one of the Towers. We talked for a few and then I climbed back to the roof. I couldn't believe that people were breaking out windows and jumping from the upper floors of the tower. :(

.......I watched in disbelief and then noticed another Jet coming into view and screamed as I watched it disappear from view and boom- another fireball and what looked like and one of the Jets engines streaking in a fireball from the South Tower.......my view was opposite the impact point- my view was the exit side if you will.....

I take the elevator to the street and I see everyone on 5th Ave looking up at the Tower, I see a couple of my buddies there and ran over to them. We stood there for a few seconds and all we could each say cannot be posted on this forum. ... My one buddy tells me he has a Police Scanner and a pair of binoculars, I told him to grab them- and told my other buddy(a 'nam vet) come on- we'll go to the roof. We listen to frantic calls for emergency on the scanner- Then it was an ALL CALL BACK, meaning all personell back to their stations, it was all hands on deck. By the sounds of the sirens we noticed to be never ending at the time.....

The view that was seen from the binoculars...... thier faces........... them standing in the windows waving out for help....... alot of them jumping...... one after another....... I get goosebumps everytime I have these memories..... I watched their faces as they contemplated their fates, wishing I could reach out and help them, but couldn't...... We passed the binoculars back and forth........ We saw a man climb out of the building he was trying to scale his way out, holding onto the outside of the building.... he actually did manage to hold on waving at a helicopter flying overhead......he managed to hold on for a few moments til he slipped off and.......

My last view through the binoculars, I watched a man and woman kiss each other and embrace, after a few moments the man helped the woman up, and climbed up next to her.......both holding hands..... and they jumped that way- holding hands........ I tossed the binoculars at my buddy and told him I effing seen enough through them..... :mad: .......

I could go on about every minute of that day, you guys get the idea. I'll never forget any of it. God Bless all those souls there.

For weeks after that day you could smell "it".....the burning.... sometimes "it" would be a plasticy stench mixed with-"it"..... if you smelled "it" before then you know you will never forget that smell, "it" being death. yes you could smell "it" and we knew what "it" was......... having no appetite many days when "it" got bad......

I still get chills hearing bagpipes..... we would hear them for weeks after, knowing why they were playing.....

I know a lot of you saw it through the tv..... it doesn't compare to what I witnessed being here......

NEVER FORGET........:eek:

Its now 12:09 and I'm sure the sites we all witnessed that day will never leave our minds. But let us never forget the ones who lost their lives that day and the families they left behind. God Bless!!

12:18 AM. Let have a moment of silence for every one that gave there all that day.

All gave some. Some gave all. 09-11-2001

God bless all of you.

Got my local morning paper.
Front headline: " Local Muslims Celebrate Their Faith"

I just e-mailed them and canceled my subscription immediately and let them know exactly why.:mad:

I'm not simple minded to bow to bigotry, etc. BUT out of respect, some lines shouldn't be crossed. That crossed it. :mad: Right up there with protesters at military funerals. :mad:

I was a Vol. Firefighter back then. Was asleep and our fire pager sounded off, and of course that makes you jump straight out of bed, wide awake, and start rushing clothes on to head out the door. Then the dispatch let us know that it was not a fire, but an awareness alarm. Well that calms you down just a little bit, but now you wonder what the awarness is. They start to let us know whats going on and while im rushing into the living room and notice that dad has it on the tv. I, like many others, thought it was fake until i saw the second plane hit. I went back into my room, while im still hearing my fire radio sound off numerous alarms, all repeating that its not a fire and then letting everyone know whats happening. I turned on the tv and just sat there and watched everything unfold. And yup, just like muddy grimes, i had tears rolling down my face.

Pookie, i couldnt even begin to imagine what it was like on site. I choked up just reading your experience that day.

NEVER FORGET! 9-11

At the time i was still a student at UCF and was listening to Howard Stern. I thought he was joking until my mom called me crying. Right now I am actually on shift with Orange County Fire Department. Best job I have ever had and there is NO WAY I will ever forget the events of that day...

Latest posts

Back