.45 Kimber??

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PA41

About 30 years ago I had a guy visit me with a jug of homebrewed whiskey and a new .45 Kimber he was hiding from his wife.

I was making unbelievable shots with the gun--(yes--I am a redneck--whiskey and guns in the same breath).. The thing was built for me --all I needed to do was just point the gun and pull the trigger and will the bullet to a destination. Amazing gun.. (pretty good shine too) I've got a couple good .45s--but no Kimber.

I'm looking at a trade for one -- 5" wood grips Stainless, like new-he claims it cost $1250. About the $ value I'm wanting to trade for.

It seems guners often hot rod too. Any you guys have a Kimber? Any opinions on em. Where do they come from?

Thanks for the input.

PA

they run around a grand depending on the model
-- never owned one personally -- think
a few hundred of that is in the name -- but thats ok too
sometimes -- if you really like the gun then go for it -- come
with any extra magazines?? that would be a bonus -- last i
checked they were like 50 -75 dollars a piece -- but i do know
a few folks that own one and they seem happy with them..

The Kimber is an awesome gun, one of the best 1911 .45 cals ever made. I've carried a 1911 for years and have several other handguns with more features but none that shoot better or are more reliable than the 1911.

My Dad was a .45 man... I love 9's & .223's & ummm... 12 gauge! [ddd

BoB

i really liked my 1911 .45 AND my 9mm ... but have reduced my handguns to .38 specials (snub noses) only now --- easier to buy ammo for one caliber than 3 -- and theyve always been my favorite :)
never ONCE had a misfire with my .38s
i am thinking of getting a .22 lr pistol again though -- just bc the ammo is sooo incredibly cheap.... can shoot a .22lr all day for what it costs for a box of .45

As others have said the Kimber out-did themselves with the 45. I don't know about the old ones but the new ones are right on! It's one of the best .45's if not THE best made now. Me and a friend were just talking about this yesterday. It's the next handgun on my list.

I have the pro Carry II and i love it . dads got the full size . the full size have better balance with a full clip and the pros shorter size and smother corners does make it easier.
only thing id change is i would not have spent the cash for night sights i would have used the cash for a laser .

Being a Colt fan I was skeptical on the fancy Kimber 1911 variants but have shot a friends Tactical series on several occasions and they do very well in the accuracy and function dept. All 1911`s have to be matched to what ammo they like and the Kimber is no different. The original goverment military .45 would only cycle 230 grain jacketed round nose reliably but the newer guns are much more forgiving. It shot as well as my $2000 Wilson custom.
The only weakness is the magazines.Buy Wilson or McCormick mags and all is good. About $35 from www.midwayusa.com

The retail on these guns are fairly high but can be had second hand for a bit less. Should save about 20%.
Look on www.gunbroker.com for a feel of asking & selling prices.
Hope this helps.

I think Kimber is the only gunsmith that manufactures a slide action pistol designed specifically for the 357 magnum round. That's the one I want.

CORRECTION... It's been along time since I looked at one...
I was thinking of the COONAN 1911 based 357magnum automatic.
alumgrip600.jpg

Nice simple gun. I like the old browning 1922 but in 32 acp it's a plinker

220px-FN1922.jpg

and the makarov

BulgarianPoliceMak.jpg

Last edited:
Gastrick has badass toys.

Never had a Kimber. Heard their costumer service sucks.

I guess you just have to ask yourself "What am I going to use it for?"

My Pro Carry II HD

KimberjpgBW.jpg

+1 on the Origanal factory mag comment. I run wilson mags with out issue. A few years ago Kimber came out with a 2nd GEN mag. I've not personaly used them.

The external ejectors have been problematic. Also, the model I own seems to be hard on springs. I do like it. I've got a over 1000 rds through mine.

I would advise anyone buying a used Kimber to run a full box of ball ammo through it...then run at least one mag of HP rounds. Keep in mind all mass produced firearms may have some issues just like cars & trucks.

Last edited:
Not a Kimber or even a 1911. This is my S&W Peformance Center 44 Magnum, 1 of only 200 made like it in the world.

Attachments

• IMG_1466_1.jpg
    IMG_1466_1.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 9
My Pro Carry II HD

KimberjpgBW.jpg

I had this one for sale at a local gunshow last Sunday. Funny how the guys with grey hair loved the grips and all the "kids" wanted to know why it wasn't made of plastic. :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back