I hate the mva (dmv?)

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat'l Trap

I got a notice in the mail last week (mailed Sunday 8/28) from the Motor Vehicle Administration telling me that my registration was cancelled on a truck I traded in back on Memorial Day. 5/27/11 to be exact. That happens to be 90 days back. Why? I neglected to return the plates, but the insurance was discontinued. The plates sat in my garage for the last 3 months. So today I turned them in and they said I need to prove when the insurance stopped, and pay a fine. How much? $150 for the first month, and $7 per day after that. So by waiting for 90 F*ing days to bring this little-known law to my attention, I may owe around $575.00 !
That might be an appropriate fine if I were to, um let's see..., I dont know, heave a brick through their front window or something. But for an oversight? Doesnt the lack of intent to defraud carry any weight? Hell, half the country drives without any insurance and doesnt get into trouble. Who here has had an accident with an uninsured motorist and got nothing out of it? WTF? I wrote my Congressman and state Senator. Doubt that'll get me anywhere though. Not very happy with those knuckleheads on a good day, and now this? Let's just say I wont be sending any birthday wishes their way anytime soon. :mad:

same here

l feel for ya, every 7 years we have to get new plates because the reflectiveness supposedly "wears out:rolleyes:".

yet the contractor who is 9 monthes behind on a highway program and should pay 12 million in late fees gets a pass 'couse if he has to pay, they claim they'd go bankrupt and walk off and leave the job not finished[S

gotta love our "guberment" :eek:

Later:cool:

I got a notice in the mail last week (mailed Sunday 8/28) from the Motor Vehicle Administration telling me that my registration was cancelled on a truck I traded in back on Memorial Day. 5/27/11 to be exact. That happens to be 90 days back. Why? I neglected to return the plates, but the insurance was discontinued. The plates sat in my garage for the last 3 months. So today I turned them in and they said I need to prove when the insurance stopped, and pay a fine. How much? $150 for the first month, and $7 per day after that. So by waiting for 90 F*ing days to bring this little-known law to my attention, I may owe around $575.00 !
That might be an appropriate fine if I were to, um let's see..., I dont know, heave a brick through their front window or something. But for an oversight? Doesnt the lack of intent to defraud carry any weight? Hell, half the country drives without any insurance and doesnt get into trouble. Who here has had an accident with an uninsured motorist and got nothing out of it? WTF? I wrote my Congressman and state Senator. Doubt that'll get me anywhere though. Not very happy with those knuckleheads on a good day, and now this? Let's just say I wont be sending any birthday wishes their way anytime soon. :mad:

So what you're saying is that they are no longer on your Christmas Card List? :D I'm originally from MD and I got to say I don't miss their DMV or MVA or whatever the heck they call themself! Might be worth taking a trip down there and try to talk to one of the head guys...CAUTION!! Be prepared to pay the whole fine before you go! :eek:

Good luck with it...that would chap my "A-Double Dollar Sign" as well!

-Troy

Latest posts

Back