check list before first freeway trip...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mashori

It's all done. Have taken it for a few short trips and it has done well. Wondering if there is a check list that you guys recommend I check off before taking it on the freeway.

Fluids of course but i recommend checking all nuts on the suspension & especially cotter pins on the steering! Last thing u want on the freeway is to lose steering! Mite wanna ck all lug nuts too! When going out of town I always take a spare set of keys!

BoB

Start at the front and work your way back. Check every bolt and nut. Even the ones that you know are tight. Don't be in a hurry.

Have fun:D

A tool box with the essentials, flashlight, blanket and a friend.
The blanket is to keep warm while the friend walks to get help [ddd
You didn't say how long the trip was goin to be.
This may sound stupid but, in the excitement of the moment, you can forget to put fuel in it.

Last edited:
Well it won't be a long trip, 30 miles. I will make sure I have some tools which I totally didn't think of. I will take an extra gas canister and will have my paperwork.
I think going over every bolt is a really good idea. And blanket. ...why didn't I think of that.

Cell phone and AAA Gold Plus card will get you out of most on the road problems and get you back home again.

It is impossible to carry all the tools you might think you need, especially big stuff, like a jack and something to hold the car up while you work on it, but a good supply of hand tools will solve most minor problems.

I also like to carry vice grips, wire ties, some electrical tape, and some stainless steel wire and electrical wire.

Don

leaks

drive it some short hops and look for leaks.

l drove mine to the gas station, fine getting there, once there blew out a freeze plug, luckily it was just 2 miles home.

Later :cool:

A short stretch off electrical wire is always handy also. It can be used for several things. I keep about a 6' piece in my box.

Ammo boxes make awesome tool boxes/glove boxes btw.

On my 23 I used the empty space under the passenger seat for my tools. I was able to get quite a bit in there. I didn't put any good tools in there, just extras, because I knew they would be getting wet when it rained.

tools008-1.jpg

My 27 has nowhere to put any tools, but I was able to put one of the vinyl tool kits that Sears sells under the seat, so a least I have a couple of basic tools that might help in a jam.

Don

A short stretch off electrical wire is always handy also. It can be used for several things. I keep about a 6' piece in my box.

Ammo boxes make awesome tool boxes/glove boxes btw.

I use a flat ammo can for a tool box. One that looks like this:
0203.jpg

It's water tight and very sturdy. When I used to be big into Jeeps and off-roading, I even used it as a base for my hi-lift jack when I was on soft ground.

It's amazing how much you can fit in one. Basically, if I had used the tool to build the Jeep, it was in the box (except the welder). I even was able to fit the hub socket I needed for the Dana44 Scout axle. It was as large as a big apple.

When I first get a car built I drive it around the neighborhood in ever increasing circles. Once the bugs are worked out of it I just get in and go. The only thing I bring along is a Diet Pepsi.

30 miles is not a very long trip, but we always have some food and water. If you were to break down and help took awhile to get there.

Latest posts

Back