Worse driving day ever!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

21willys

I just dropped a 27' travel trailer in Sioux Falls SD. Steady cross/head winds at 25-30 and gust up to 45 mph. Made for a adventure just going down the interstate. And my truck went from 13-15 mpg to a average of about 5 mpg and was getting as low as 1.8 climbing the hills.

If I didn't have a mini vaca planned with the family I would of just stopped for the day!

Lucky that trailer didn't blow over. Those things are notorious for that - assuming it was a new RV (cheap boxes of pressed wood & plastic).

Reminds me of the time we went to San Antonio Tx to race in the holloween specials they put on (asphalt circle track)
The wind was blowing from the south at around 40 to 50 miles an hour creating a head wind for us going south. We participated for three days which was just long enough for the winds to start coming from the north (go figure).
We could only run 50 flat on the floor with my 95 Dodge dually (180 horse version) and enclosed car trailer.
When I got home, I went to a friend who owned a diesel shop and had a 125 horse kit put in the injector pump. With the added horses I never had that problem again.
The fuel mileage was only 1 mile per gallon less on average.
Nowadays the horse power is not an issue ;)

Latest posts

Back