eBay parts prices vs parts store prices

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

21willys

I finally had a few minutes to work on my project el cheapo trail rig. Its a 97 jeep cherokee with a 4.0. It would randomly just die so I ran the codes on it and it came up as a crank position sensor. The local parts stores wanted $90. That's not happening for this turd... I jump on ebay just for my own curiosity and find one that's made in the USA for $11 with free shipping! Now how is that possible? Makes me want to check on ebay for American made parts every time I need something.

stuff

for the stuff l don't need right at this moment in time l E-bay almost everyhing.

the parts for Jimmy's truck and the race car to rebuild the front suspension was almost double if purchased at the local stores.

small stuff is 0K, like brake lines, spark plugs and most fluids from the local stores, but l save so much $$$$$ it is astounding.

l have no clue how come it is so much cheaper, but l will use it as long as it is that way.

Later :cool:

I buy lots of parts from ebay but you kinda get what you pay for sometimes. I bought front wheelbearing/hubs for my Aerostar and one of them didn't make it 15,000 miles. Bought an IAC, guy swore they were oem but somehow he had more than 10 without the boxes. They had the right parts numbers and markings but next to the original it was obvious they didn't come from Ford. I bought a shift cable for the Aerostar and it was such junk I had to pitch it and get the correct factory part. I guess I've wasted more than I saved trying to use that cheap junk

If I am planning on doing some maintenance on one of my cars and dont need the parts today then I check Rockauto or ebay. I just ordered 2 big orders from Rockauto this week. I always check my order and see if the warehouse im using has bulbs or vac/fuel hose in stock. You can get bulbs very cheap and tubing / hoses for cheap and buy by the foot. I also get my heater hoses cheap from rockauto. Even with shipping its alot cheaper than buying locally from Autozone or O'Riellys.

Eric, IMHO it's all about profit and the fact then can :mad:

I too buy lots of stuff from e-bay, every thing i do has to be well priced (cheap). some times cheap means not so good, that said, if there advertised as American made they should pretty good. [S

It's confusing on prices sometimes. I have ordered lots thru Amazon too and you can compare prices with lots of dealers there. Usually, I'll make a price list between the trusted dealers and then do the ordering. It varies so much, I just go with the better price...

yep spent the afternoon looking for a cheap set of spark plug wires for my parts chaser,, rockauto can supply and send them over here for a bit less than half the price of a new zealand equivalent ... Im patient. I can wait for 9-15 days.. including exchange rate even....

I've bought some junk on dabay and bought some good stuff.
If ya look on the box from the local store you'll most likely see it came from Israel (barely better than India), India (the worst), china, Taiwan and so on. In most cases you're not buying American made anyway.
Use your head about the parts and you'll do better on average.

A lot of Rock Auto's stuff is closeouts and store brand labeled stuff that is the same as a brand name. Ebay, well, you never know. It's like gambling, you pay your money and take your chances. If it's a NOS part in the original packaging, most times it's OK unless it's one of the con sellers trying to pawn off China junk.

A lot of Rock Auto's stuff is closeouts and store brand labeled stuff that is the same as a brand name. Ebay, well, you never know. It's like gambling, you pay your money and take your chances. If it's a NOS part in the original packaging, most times it's OK unless it's one of the con sellers trying to pawn off China junk.

be wary of nos soft parts
for my latest project i would end up with 60 year old seals
these days double lippers new production is all the rage[cl

True dat Billy. Lots of people don't realize NOS parts have been around a long time, generally have shelf wear, scratches and scuffs or the soft part has deteriorated. Seals are a great example, which do you want, 60 year old parts made with 60 year old technology or new parts with modern materials.

I wouldn't trust any rubber parts more than a few years old, for sure none 50-60 years old. I see now wiper blades on eBay all the time that age. I bet they would either scratch a diamond being so hard or fall apart into a ball of mush the first time you tried to use them.
Hard parts nos would be OK unless they were rusted solid.

Latest posts

Back