`54/`90 shop truck / bike hauler

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I made the rear fenders, they were the first panels of considerable size I made. I made a few mistakes on the buck and screwed up the lower rear, shape-wise. They dropped off too straight down and it`s been an itch ever since. There`s only one thing to do when that happens... start over.
I still have to finish the welds , but the shape is a lot better.
When I grow up I want to be able to this sh!t done in one try... :rolleyes:

Attachments

• IMGP9688.jpg
    IMGP9688.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 56
  • IMGP6775.jpg
    IMGP6775.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 50
  • IMGP6773.jpg
    IMGP6773.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 53
In the first pic, I thought there was a style line over the top like a 37 ford, etc. But no... Just the lighting.

The original fenders looked great. These look even more so. [cl

i get that naggy voice saying "fix it" too, but usually my second fixes arent even close to your first attempts needing the fix. its really sobering how much talent is here. [cl[cl[cl

thanks all... :eek: don`t overdo... it`s all pictures! There`s a whole lotta ding and dangs left to work on... :eek:
My biggest problem with big projects like this is to stay focussed. It often feels like running around all day and get crap done. I`m very jealous of Torchie :) You don`t wanna know how much time is lost due my ADD. Stupid mistakes, thinking how to build this and that, walk over to the shears to cut a piece of sheet and be like;

Attachments

• 120145341_768006374033542_5329051422325842763_n.jpg
    120145341_768006374033542_5329051422325842763_n.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 31
Dutch, I'm glad you touched on how long it takes to 'imagineer' something. It gives me a new platform to rant from. Imagineering takes time, and if you only look at the first three quarters of the time spent you may see nothing accomplished, so you sweat and curse. Wrong Mistake! --- Ideas that wouldn't work were eliminated and appropriate materials were found. ----- Then look at the last quarter of the time spent and see that you figured out a good solution that will work nicely. Good for you.

Nice work, man. :cool::cool:

thanks guys.
Torchie, that would be a Discovery channel worthy co-operation... or Disney... :D
Mac, you are absolutely right but there must be some space left between thinking and not getting things done [S thanks for your support :)

Slowly working my way to the front of the truck.
When I put the cab in place I fabbed new mount with rubber blocks. No problem there. Can anyone shine a light on how the front sheet metal should be connected to the frame? I have to build the front panel with radiator support and inner fenders. They didn`t come with the parts and won`t fit on the C1500 frame anyways, but how do I bolt this to the frame?

Hi Dutch. Regarding the front sheet metal question - it's all hung from the rad support and the firewall. There aren't any connections to the frame at all, at least not on my 48. This is my first AD build and I put mine back on the original, albeit heavily modified frame. I didn't make any changes to any of the cab, box or sheet metal mountings. If I look back in my thread I might find some pictures that may help? Joedoh has done so many that he can probably offer more information.

hey Bill, how is the rad support connected to the frame? just bolted on or is there any kind of silent block inbetween? I didn`t tear the c1500 or the`54 down so I`m in the dark here... [S

hey Bill, how is the rad support connected to the frame? just bolted on or is there any kind of silent block inbetween? I didn`t tear the c1500 or the`54 down so I`m in the dark here... [S

Here's what I remember from my 50 GMC panel truck.
There is a radiator support brace between the frame horns in front of the crossmember that the radiator support frame bolts to. Just a thin rubber insulator between it and the brace. As I recall.
The cross bar that goes across the top of the U shaped radiator support bolts to the fender/inner fender on both sides.
Then in front of the radiator support you have a Panel that fill the gap between the radiator and the grill. It also has the hood latch mechanism on it as well.
Like Bill said. Maybe joedoh will weigh in...
Torchie

Latest posts

Back