What have you done that's STUPID?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ummmmm... bought more cars than I could *ever* finish in this lifetime!

BoB

Boy do I feel your pain............I have five right now that all range from 70% to 95% done and keep taking on new projects that keep me from finishing any of them. I do plan to get three of them done this year.

That is if I don't run upon a nice project for sale.................[dr

Opening my mouth usually qualifies. :D

Last motor I was putting together, I put the first rod cap on backwards. Took a few to figure out why it was getting so hard to turn as I was putting them on. [S

And I often leave the rotor out of the distributor when I put the cap on and wonder why it won't fire off! Anymore that's the first thing I check.

Last year we were loaded and ready to head out to the hunnert car pileup, of course i was installing a different size lowering block on my 47' because when i had my 3 kids and my wife and all our luggage loaded up it was to low and might rub. Well, my dad was in a real big yank to leave and was getting impatient as i worked hard to get done. We hit the road, way behind schedule of course, we got on the interstate and started the trip. We made it about 4 miles down the highway in the pooring rain when my dad pulls over in his big block powered 32 high boy. Guess what? He ran out of gas. Needless to say that set us back another hour. Guess he forgot to fill up the night before. HaHa, boy was he humble!

Just remember this one - the all time dumbest I've ever been:

Years back I had a 76 Honda Civic. One day I locked my keys in the car in front of my apartment building. OK, had to borrow a screwdriver from the shop across the street. Honda hatchbacks had those pop out side windows and they were fairly easy to get apart - the 2 front hinges had C-clips holding the glass.

Round 1:
Pop the C-clips off with a screwdriver and the window came off. EASY!
Reach inside and unlock the door.
Put the window back together. 15 minutes - done!
Take the screwdriver back to the shop.
Come back, lock the car and head to the apartment.
No keys - still in the ignition - DOH!

Round 2:
Go get the screwdriver again - shop owner gives some ribbing.
Take the window out.
Unlock door.
Take keys out of ignition this time!
Replace window. 10 minutes and done.
Lock car.
KEYS ON SEAT!
Least I still have the screwdriver...

Round 3:
Remove window.
Unlock door.
Take keys out of car.
Replace window.
Lock car.
Where are the keys?
Search in vane for keys.

Round 4:
Remove window.
Unlock door.
Search for keys for a half hour.
Leave car unlocked.
Take screwdriver back.
FIND KEYS IN BACK POCKET!
Lock car.
Go to apartment.

Moral of the story: DON'T DO DRUGS

A buddy and I were swapping out some 35" tires (at home-at night-by hand) and using the old starting fluid inflation method. Its a precise amount of fluid-too little and it just goes poof and burns out. Too much and the bead blows off the outside of the wheel and makes the loudest noise you've ever heard (at night)-in the middle of a large city. After just getting the hang of things (45 mins later) we notice a head peaking around the neighbors house. A few minutes later the phone rings. It was the bomb squad. They wanted to know if we could run across the street to safety. We said yes. Around the neighbors house the entire swat team was there-and geared up for action. Behind them were two fire trucks-also ready for some kind of disaster. Across the street from them parked the K-9 unit, 7 cop cars, and an ambulance. Turns out the concusion from the tire kabooms was setting off the alarm at the school down the street. Far down the street. That, with the calls from the neighbors claiming they heard bombs go off was enough to warrant a full scale invasion. After the police swept the house to look for blood traces and a stern lecture, most of them left. One car stayed down the street and watched us the rest of the night.

stupid things

I once drove two cars alone about 4 miles to my house get in 1 car drive a mile get out walk back to the other car drive it 1 mile past the car you just get out of and so on. Was young and stupid then.[S

Just remember this one - the all time dumbest I've ever been:

Years back I had a 76 Honda Civic. One day I locked my keys in the car in front of my apartment building. OK, had to borrow a screwdriver from the shop across the street. Honda hatchbacks had those pop out side windows and they were fairly easy to get apart - the 2 front hinges had C-clips holding the glass.

Round 1:
Pop the C-clips off with a screwdriver and the window came off. EASY!
Reach inside and unlock the door.
Put the window back together. 15 minutes - done!
Take the screwdriver back to the shop.
Come back, lock the car and head to the apartment.
No keys - still in the ignition - DOH!

Round 2:
Go get the screwdriver again - shop owner gives some ribbing.
Take the window out.
Unlock door.
Take keys out of ignition this time!
Replace window. 10 minutes and done.
Lock car.
KEYS ON SEAT!
Least I still have the screwdriver...

Round 3:
Remove window.
Unlock door.
Take keys out of car.
Replace window.
Lock car.
Where are the keys?
Search in vane for keys.

Round 4:
Remove window.
Unlock door.
Search for keys for a half hour.
Leave car unlocked.
Take screwdriver back.
FIND KEYS IN BACK POCKET!
Lock car.
Go to apartment.

Moral of the story: DON'T DO DRUGS

Sam, that there's fun I don't care who ya are !!!!!!!![cl:D

no fire

l was about 25 and my friend had a 1962 toyota truck.
spent the day out cruzin around one fine summer day. about
8pm the tuck started missing and spitting. looked under the cap and rotor, burned points. we limped to my house and called schucks to get a tune-up kit. in those days schucks stayed open all night. jumped in my car, ran down grabbed what parts we needed. it was dark by the time we got back home. changed out the bad, put in the good, no spark. 2 hours later called it quits for the night. at that time l had no garage and we were doing it by flashlights. next morning walked out to the truck and DUUUHHH, sitting on the log we had for landscaping, there sat the new points. put 'em in, fired right up, boy did i feel stupid.

Later[dr

Dang this is a great thread! I can relate to LilD...I'm afraid to tell all!![cl Sam I can relate to you too. Had a big argument with my wife and jumped in the Vette and roared away. Stopped to get gas at the local conveniece store. Finished pumping gas and went to gey back in the car....you guessed it, I'm lookin at my keys on the console! I knew my wife wouldn't bring me the spare set after our last conversation...Tried to get in without any luck...Had to call a locksmith. He made a door key on a portable machine while he looked at my door key in the car...It worked, now I carry it in my wallet....Cost me $75.00 for that lesson!:(...CR

I have a list of them.

This one is funny. One day I was trying to kick my triumph chopper which always started on the second kick.

That day I went out to start the triumph I was kicking it and it would not start. I kept checking the fuel valve to make sure it was open and would hit the trickle valve. after about 1/2 hour of kicking I finally looked down and here I never turn the key on.

The second one.
Back in the 70's I had a 1965 Mustang that every winter was hard to start. One day it was giving be trouble so I got out of the car and left the hood to see what was going on.

After checking everything I shout the hood and here I forgot to put the car in gear and the drive door was open. The car starting rolling down the drive way backwords . About half way down the driveway the drivers door hit a tree and wrapped the door around and up against the fender, I just sat there and cried.

rebuilt the dana 44 on my 63 willys cj5
(they have left and right lug nuts.)
got em swapped and had a heluva time putting tires on!:)

attempting to replace a window motor one time in a chevy beretta-pulled the whole regulator out, and found it had been done before(bolts were loose) so i proceed to remove the loose bolts, and when the motor comes loose from the regulatr the clock-spring-powered regulator whacks the end of my right ring finger across the finger nail......
an emergency room trip and a broke finger, lost nail, a big slice of humble pie

.........and the "best" part?
had to go back and put the car back together

and yes i knew that could happen-it was just a "duh" moment:confused:

HRPs busted finger brought up a memory from the 'way back' machine. Not my 'duhh' moment, but I was watching as it went down.

1st--theres something mezmerizing about a spinning shaft. They call to you--(Pssst--over here)---.I've heard the call....

I was working on an old combine for an old widow woman I farmed for, and was under the contraption troubleshooting, with the machine running and all operations functioning. Combines are amazing machines--a factory on wheels--hundreds of belts pullies, gears, augars, clutches, etc. As I was under the running machine in the shop, my employers Sunday school group came in for a tour, and an old genteleman toddled over to a very busy side of the thresher and stood there a little too long so I rolled under the machine and looked up as he stuck his finger in a sight hole of a belt guard..

Obviously--the guy pulled back a stub--a belt/pully pinched it off--didn't hardly bleed at first.

Remember those slow motion scenes in a movie when something bad happens? It was like that. I knew what he was doing when he stood there too long. He was captured by the siren song of the spinning machinery, and I was stuck in a slow motion film..

Lifes weird.

PA41

old genteleman toddled over to a very busy side of the thresher and stood there a little too long so I rolled under the machine and looked up as he stuck his finger in a sight hole of a belt guard..

Obviously--the guy pulled back a stub--a belt/pully pinched it off--didn't hardly bleed at first.

I think thats the dumbest thing I have herd yet.[S

Hang out on a forum with a bunch of guys who won't even paint their cars! [ddd

What forum is that?! Must be a bunch of fools. :D:D:D:D

Hey PA41 - my Dad told me my G-pa did the same kinda thing. Reached over to pick something up in front of the sickle mower - came up 2 fingers short. Dad says he never did know what he was reaching for?

A split second of not thinking can really ruin your day.

rebuilt the dana 44 on my 63 willys cj5
(they have left and right lug nuts.)
got em swapped and had a heluva time putting tires on!:)

I broke two studs trying to take the wheels off the barracuda when i first bought it.......Righty tighty lefty loosey didnt apply......hahahahhahah

SIC

Latest posts

Back