Not rat rod but auto question.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timbo

I was wondering about about the decals with the VIN # and year/month production in the door jamb. If you do a complete paint or replace a door, can a person get a replacement decal for you car/truck maybe from the dealership? I will eventually paint my truck and was wonder about that. Anyone here ever heard of it or done it? :confused: I would like to keep the info there for a daily driver. Thanks.
Tim

decal

Tim my 04 caddy was painted on the side before I bought it, no door tag, I have a good freind that works in the caddy parts department here, tried to get a new one and was told no way from GM. he was told there body shop could not even order it and they only fix caddys.

i'm thinkin' the reason no "vin" info decals are available is because of the (perhaps supposed) risk of theives using them to hide a stolen cars info.....

if you are really careful the decals can be taped off and painted around (i've done it) if the door is replaced though, that's a different story.... the older rigs had metal tags on the doors with the info-they can eaisily be taped around, or if you aren't concerned about "johnny law" then you can drill out the rivets and replace them after painting--there have been rebuilders i've seen that had no info on the door whatsoever.....

maybe some of that ramble helps :eek:

I see lots of the early ones are just faded and gone. If a vehicle is old enough there might be a place that repops them. If you have an old Ford, you can get the metal plates made new I think and at least one Mustang supply house has the correct hollow rivets.

I was wondering about about the decals with the VIN # and year/month production in the door jamb. If you do a complete paint or replace a door, can a person get a replacement decal for you car/truck maybe from the dealership? I will eventually paint my truck and was wonder about that. Anyone here ever heard of it or done it? :confused: I would like to keep the info there for a daily driver. Thanks.
Tim

Hey Tim. If it is the "decal", when replacing the door, I have removed a couple of them with a heat gun....very carefully! Re-glue with good glue....but ya gotta make it look original. Mr. Law doesn't need to realize its been changed!....even though the numbers match,

If you order parts for that vehicle at a later date, sometimes you have to have the "birth date" from this tag.

Shakey

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back