suicide awareness

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the reverend muddy grimes

Brother Binder
Ok, so i keep getting told that today, Friday the 10th is suicide awareness day. They are asking that we write "love" on our arm and leave it there all day. I did. Personally, I think "dont jump off a bridge" would be more to the point, but hey, im on board with this.

Attachments

• love.jpg
    love.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 13
Funny you bring that up Rev, two weeks ago a young lady jumped off a bridge not far from our home, yes in Florida there are bridges high enough to easily die from. Through the grace of GOD and two brave guy's she survived the plunge. The story was on the cover of the local paper. My wife being the exact same age as the homeless woman, it really struck a chord. My wife then called the paper, and after several exchanges, we will meet with the woman on Saturday. We both, my wife primarily, help out at the homeles shelter, and my wife is on the board for the Mental Illness Foundation here in our area. With your prayers, maybe we can get her the help she needs. Thanks REV, for all you do here, and everyone on the RRR for the prayers when needed by others.

Last edited:
Back when I was an EMT, I worked 4 attempted suicides. All through the grace of God were failures. I will never forget the devestation that came to the families. I can only imagine what it would have been like had they actually did it right.

I can kind of "get" how a person can end up at the point where they can no longer stand to go on. Life can be very tough sometimes, and we have all had periods where there seems to be no way out of a hole. But it not only affects the person who tries it, it also affects the loved ones and friends they have or who they leave behind.

An ex GF of mine found her Dad who had hung himself in the basement. The impact and pain it left her with scarred her for the rest of her life. In that regard, suicide becomes a selfish act as it hurts so many others.

The one that is hard to figure out is when some young kid attempts it. How can life get that bad when you are 16 that you want to end it? The human brain is a difficult thing to understand sometimes.

Don

Don, one of the attempts i worked was a 16 year old boy. Good looking kid, had lots of money. popular in school. His parents grounded him, so he ate an old jar of fly poison. He wanted to show them....and he almost did, we lost him 3 times. That was the one that got to me.

The one that is hard to figure out is when some young kid attempts it. How can life get that bad when you are 16 that you want to end it? The human brain is a difficult thing to understand sometimes.

Don

My best friend in high school he was 16, We rode to school together every day. Sawed off a 12ga and put it to his heart and pulled the trigger. He and his girl friend had an argument that day at school.

I've known a few work friends and back in the 80's a couple farmers that took their own lives. Lost all respect for every one of them. Call me hard jerk, but suicide is selfish and weak. All those guys had better lives going than I did at the time!?

Don't get me wrong though, I've offered my hand out to help a fella out of the depths more than once. It usually doesn't take much more than really listening for a few minutes.

People that really suffer from bi-polar type depression, etc.... well, that's a whole nother thing. That can eat a person up like cancer. Very sad.

This thread just kinda depressed me... :(

I can kind of "get" how a person can end up at the point where they can no longer stand to go on. Life can be very tough sometimes, and we have all had periods where there seems to be no way out of a hole. But it not only affects the person who tries it, it also affects the loved ones and friends they have or who they leave behind.

An ex GF of mine found her Dad who had hung himself in the basement. The impact and pain it left her with scarred her for the rest of her life. In that regard, suicide becomes a selfish act as it hurts so many others.

Don

You stated how young kids are do it. Being a fire/Ems Instructor. This is a heads up. They are now making suicide packs and getting in a car rolling all the windows up and mixing two chemicals ( I will not name them for reason should should know) And it is killing them fast. If you happen to come across a car with a bunch of of people or a couple that are not moving. Don't open the the door or you will be right a side of them. One breath and your gone. Call 911 and stay away.

Don I can see what your X is going through. She has a form of PTSD from what she seen. Being trained and seeing it make you think real hard about things.

Not much to say on this subject. Only have sympathy for the family. There are people out there who dont have that option and go thru more than most to take another breath. Here on earth is only the journey and by taking your own life you will never reach your distination. Wish theese people would see that.

lost a friend about 10 years ago to drug add. and eventualy suicide .

a bad deal for the folks left behind
..... A perminat solution for a temp. problem..

I personally have gone through this on more than one occasion. And I think anyone who decides that is the way out is not thinking clearly. Most cases are caused by depression, something if you haven't gone through is really hard to understand. So before you judge someone, think about what they may be going through.

It's a very strange world these days. When we were 16 we were going crazy about getting our drivers licenses, chasing girls, building cars, dates, etc. Our biggest worry was where to get a few bucks for Saturday night so we could take some cute girl to the drive in or out for a few burgers. Now we have suicide pacts, kids taking guns to school and killing as many other kids as they can, and horrible stuff like that.

We've really left a hell of a world for the next generations, haven't we? :(

Don

I have to deal with depression and at least weekly it comes to mind but its just what I deal with and must go on ,no stopping must go on...............even those wasps that got me yesterday dont hurt like depression

I have to deal with depression and at least weekly it comes to mind but its just what I deal with and must go on ,no stopping must go on...............even those wasps that got me yesterday dont hurt like depression

Hang in there Anvil.

...........DISIDERATA

Go placidly amid the noise and the haste,
and remember what peace there may be in silence.

As far as possible, without surrender,
be on good terms with all persons.
Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
and listen to others,
even to the dull and the ignorant;
they too have their story.
Avoid loud and aggressive persons;
they are vexatious to the spirit.

If you compare yourself with others,
you may become vain or bitter,
for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.
Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.
Keep interested in your own career, however humble;
it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.

Exercise caution in your business affairs,
for the world is full of trickery.
But let this not blind you to what virtue there is;
many persons strive for high ideals,
and everywhere life is full of heroism.
Be yourself. Especially do not feign affection.
Neither be cynical about love,
for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment,
it is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years,
gracefully surrendering the things of youth.
Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune.
But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings.
Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.

Beyond a wholesome discipline,
be gentle with yourself.
You are a child of the universe
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God,
whatever you conceive Him to be.
And whatever your labors and aspirations,
in the noisy confusion of life,
keep peace in your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.

I have had PDSD (Combat Vet) for along time now. When the depression part kicks in I get quite and distance my self from everyone. Some time I can not be found. I never thought about hurting myself but when I am in this mood I thing about hurting others. And have.

I have seen depression were they think about hurting themself. I can see were they are coming from and how they think there is no other way. Some of my buddies go through it all the time. It sucks to see them in that state. Two of them are Unemployable. Three of them are not with us anymore from it.

I kind of fall in the unemployable group. Ever since I retired from the Fire Department and can not hold a job other then Instructor. The game people play at work get to me. I also have a hard time with people that never got pass high school (never grew up).

I guess I'm the lucky one.

Those of you that have shared your personal stories here, thank you.
We always have to remind each other not to get too caught up in it because after all, we are spirits just having a physical experience.

Last edited:
As a firefighter EMT for Orange County (working in the Ghetto, station 50 on OBT and 29th for those from around here) I have seen my share of attempted suicides. I have also seen a few successful suicides. I cant say that there is any one "party" that is more apt to attempt something like this.

Unfortunately, i have also had two close friends take thier lives. One was about 5 years ago now. He just came back from the war, started college, bought a new truck and was getting his civilian life back together. He then recieved word that he was being deployed back to Afghanistan, that sent him right over the edge and he decided to swallow a bullet. The second life that was taken is one of my best friends. It was about 2 weeks ago that he took his life. There is no reason that we can think of that he did this. I spoke to him two days before and he was going to be moving in with me, moving back to Orlando from Chicago. It was a normal conversation and the usual jovial banter that we always have. I was speaking with his brother and his brother said that he had the same conversation with Steve, saying that Steve was happy and was going to be moving in with me; then Adam told me that Steve took his life. I have no clue why he ate a bullet since he has so much going for him and he has ALWAYS been able to turn to me and his brother for anything, like he has done many times in the past. Steve's passing hits me the hardest since there is no reason that any of us can think of as to why he would do something like that.

This is the first that I have spoken about Steve (other than to his brother and my girlfriend) and to be honest, i still dont believe that it has happened. In my mind, i think that Steve is still going to be moving in with me at the end of the month and all will go on like normal. Not really sure when or if it will really hit me.

Latest posts

Back