What drives you to build a ratty?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I personally like the looks of the so called "Ratties". They are usually low, innovative by the designs of the frames and body parts, plus they can be done relatively inexpensive and that part contributes to their rising success in today's economy. Not everyone can build a safe and dependable ratty though and that fact contibutes to the "looked down upon" view by a number of streetrodders and those who only see money as the way to build a car!

I come on this site as a regular to see the builds and hear what the Ratters have to say and after being in this sport for a number of years, I find these people to be some of the friendliest, intelligent and out of the box thinkers I have ever met and that is another important reason I believe helps the continued rise in popularity of Rats! Long live RRR!!![cl...CR:D

I never have been one to color inside the lines, or follow the rules. A rat build allows me to do what ever I want, after all... it is all about me.

I'd have to say that for me, this is the only way short of winning Powerball that I will get a hot rod, especially the ones that could be on the cover of Rod & Custom magazine. By not having rules, and being able to employ creative solutions to NOT having money, I may actually be able to build something that works for me. I dont really care that it wont shine, actually I like not having to worry about scratching the paint. And bling just costs more than 'natural finishes'. Plus I love being able to do for myself what many would have to pay someone else to do. Dont get me wrong, there will be lots that I will have to pay for, such as machine work and associated parts, but the build is on me.

All of the above and the attention, smiles and thumbs up i get from guys that are thinking maybe i could make something like that and have some fun too. The street rodders ignore it. The trad nazis hate it. Some of the ordinary guys tell me it's their favorite out of a group of $50,000 built from recipe cars. Most of these rats should be dead and crushed but they live on from the passion re-infused into them and that's a beautiful thing. The older that Detroit tin gets the more precious it becomes. It has history. It has roots that help me feel grounded in this throw away culture.

1. RATS are cool
2. Wanted to build a rod all by myself without having to "farm" out anything .
the way of the RAT allows for things to be a bit ruff around the edges and still be cool as i see if i can find, learn or develop any skills .
3. The other big drive to build the rat is the "havenots" (they are people who dont have a rig that they put there heart and soul into) .these people will show no regard for a nice paint and body work, lean, on drag there hand down ,walk the dog next to ect . makes it hard to really enjoy the shinny ones when out and about.

Sanding sucks.
Driving a car is more fun than having it sit in the garage in pieces for 10 yrs.
No worry's about about fingerprints, etc.
Affordable- budget is part of the challenge.
Originality - in design and engineering.
I have a thing about finding a use for old junk.
Sanding really sucks.

It defies explanation. I am no different than most people, I am just attracted to grass roots cars more than I an the high dollar, overdone credit card cars.
But I also have to say that not all ratrods turn my crank either. I'm not much into the goofy, absurd or extreme types. I still just like a good solid traditional hotrod

My son is the reason I started our build, he’s wanted one for a few years now.

Now that I’m into it, I’m REALLY having fun. :D

Most people I know (ones with nice cars) think that these things are just thrown together.
Unfortunately, I’ve seen several that are, but the ones done right are harder to build than an old muscle car in my opinion.

These cars take a lot more imagination, engineering, and effort to build.

I’ve done several “pre-engineered” cars over the years and they were all very easy compared to getting this rat done. [ddev

For me the challenge is half the fun. [cl

Oh, there’s also the $4,000 budget issue. ;)

I just do it for the chicks... Im not even into cars[S
But i try to get into the chicks and the car helps alot..

I dont like the cars but the cars like me[;)

budget is key

the look and style of a rat is what first drew my attention. i love the look of something that shouldnt be able to drive down the road but has the ability to blow your doors off.

As stated above, i dont want to have to sit and polish a paint job either. i just want to be able to take her out and not have to worry about it.

I have vehicle A.D.D. so I love the instant gratification of the fab work and dispise the finish work so there you have it! I guess mine are all 1/2 finished street rods which = rat rod? I'm no mathamatition (or speller!)[cl

I spent years building cars that were painted, smoothed, and plated to excruciating detail. Every bolt machined to exact length and polished with all the heads aligned and so on. Guess what? It wasn't any fun. It took too long for me to do and it was darn near impossible to keep the cars clean and polished. I still like to pay attention to detail, but almost all of my stuff is what I consider to be rough around the edges now days. It's loads more fun and I don't care at all when I scratch them or get them dirty.

There is way too many pieces of American auto history rotting away.[dr
Its up to us to keep it from the "instant gratification" generation and prove that WE THE PEOPLE can still build anything from anything.

We are the ultimate recyclers , Think about that next time someone turns thier nose up at your ride . Be proud of who you are and what you represent ! I love my car and have a wonderful time everytime I get behind the wheel . It's FUN !

I just do it for the chicks... Im not even into cars[S

All good answers, but JGs is the best..:) :)

A few years back I had 2 26 Ts--a painted up glass roadster with shiney wheels and a cammy 455 Pontiac, and a $1200 Ratty primered piece of junk RPU with a tractor grill and a smoking, knocking 250 6 cylinder on a Mini truck frame. The wife and her sister took the roadster to a parade/cruze one night, and I came home late from work and decided to show up by myself in the rat. Duering the parade part of the cruze I picked up a group of 5 teenage girls--2 in the front and 3 in the PU bed, and met my wife and her sister at a Sonic afterwards--haulin my load of high school chicks.. :) I'm a big old fat Grandpaw-Santy Claus kinda guy, but I've convinced My Wife I'm a dead wringer for Tom Sellick, so she didn't take it well. :D

Rats--especially RPUs are just rolling parties--and ya know about girls--they just wanna have fun..

I'm with JG..

PA41

Like most have said its fun! I love driving my car down a gravel fire road and not worrying about it. I was at a local show and got parked next to a guy selling a 32 roadster for 70K, beautiful car but the stress & worring about it drove the guy crazy. I tried to get him to come & do burnouts behind the building with me..you know some therapy.

Attachments

• DSC_0003.jpg
    DSC_0003.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 35
  • DSC_0132.jpg
    DSC_0132.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC_0169.jpg
    DSC_0169.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 29

Latest posts

Back