You want HOW MUCH for it ???

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Theres a guy about an hour and a half from me (mohawk ny area)....he is always trying to sell really really rusty stuff for huge money. He has a boat load of stuff for sale. I would easily say his prices are at least twice what the stuff is worth if not more. The sad part is we both live in the upstate NY area....it is very wet here so the stuff is just rusting away. He isnt a kid either so he'll probably die at some point and then one of his next of kin will auction it all off for whats it worth. I just hate to see the stuff rusting into the ground....funny how people think all their stuff is rust colored gold...

Theres a guy about an hour and a half from me (mohawk ny area)....he is always trying to sell really really rusty stuff for huge money. He has a boat load of stuff for sale. I would easily say his prices are at least twice what the stuff is worth if not more. The sad part is we both live in the upstate NY area....it is very wet here so the stuff is just rusting away. He isnt a kid either so he'll probably die at some point and then one of his next of kin will auction it all off for whats it worth. I just hate to see the stuff rusting into the ground....funny how people think all their stuff is rust colored gold...

Sounds to me like the same guy here. There is very little on there that is anywhere close to being a reasonable price. I've bought a few old cars for under 500 bucks that ran and drove all within the last 5 years. A few examples:

4406882409_b90e286a64_z_d.jpg

54 Packard, bought it for 450 bucks and drove it home.

4477783788_278513ba67_z.jpg

53 Willys, $450 runs and drives (sorta).

4059253944_9b2fda6a35_z_d.jpg

51 GMC, was 450 bucks. Ran like a top and drove it all over the place in the county forest.

4691959762_f72e462182_z.jpg

51 Chevy Dump Truck. Runs and moves. Paid 500 bucks.

m199805444.jpg

63 Rambler I used as a daily driver last year. Bought it for 500 bucks and the only thing I did to it was rebuild the generator and give it a quickie spray can job. I drove it over 2 hours home.

m137766227.jpg

65 Rambler I bought for 300 bucks. Drove it for a while although the drivetrain was in pretty bad shape.

m217448593.jpg

Another 500 dollar gem. This is a 50 Coronet. Runs like a champ and has working brakes. I still have this one.

My 650 dollar daily driver truck:

4839034167_33e65f1a4f_z.jpg

Compare that to this 1500 dollar gem:

64fordcrew18.jpg

I can't believe that guy sells anything. I've had a tough time unloading most of my cars for what I paid for them. I've been trying to sell the Willys for a while now for 400 bucks with no takers. He had some Willys Aeros that were in even worse shape than mine and he wanted 1500 dollars or more. He keeps using that Old Cars Report to base his prices on. I think that Old Cars Report is a bit unrealistic on their prices. If he gets these stupid high prices just by putting crap on Ebay maybe I've been going about selling old cars wrong all these years :confused:

There are two guys running the place. This IS the same place your thinking of

It's funny to read this thread and see the same poor logic over and over again. I tripped over it looking for something else, but I see this a lot, people find something they have a problem with and post on a board to whine about it.

First of all you can't compare apples and oranges - what you're saying is "I got this old car for cheap so all old cars should be cheap" then you list off a bunch of cars no one cares about, like 46-54 Mopars, Rambler anything, or a '53 Willys, plus throw in an AD Chevy dump truck you paid scrap price for because it's too darn big to haul very far. (Rambler?? Ever visit an old junkyard? They were picking on those to scrap when they brought $2 a ton over the scales, the only yards with any left are the ones that never scrapped out).

It just doesn't work that way - why don't you try that argument on a new car: "Mr. Chevrolet dealer, I can buy a new Hyundai or Kia for $14,000 so I think you should sell me a new Camaro or Corvette for that money." See how fast your behind hits the pavement when they throw you out the door.

If those cars had been a '50 Merc coupe, '57 Chevy Nomad, '59 Cadillac convertible, or a '32 Ford coupe - they would not have been cheap. Even a piece of crap '32 body shell brings a couple grand. One of those cars you're going on about is a real steel '36 3-window coupe - didn't a guy overseas somewhere and a guy here each build one of those from SCRATCH because they couldn't find a real one? Both were chopped, dark red, and in the magazines a few months apart. One was a Rod & Custom cover car.

Next, it's "I got this old car in nice shape for cheap, so all old cars that look ugly or don't run must be worthless" (and often "and should be scrapped" follows that). Sometimes the same guy will brag about the money he made ruining the car by parting it out. Again it just doesn't work that way. Just because one guy had a '57 Chevy FI ragtop in a barn and sold it for $1500 doesn't mean they're all only worth $1500. Some people just want to get rid of stuff and don't care, some people don't make any effort to check into value, and all you were when you buy it is the guy who was in the right place at the right time. It has no bearing on the value of a car, because it might sell for 20 times that the very next day.

The ones who go on about should be scrapped are apparently too dumb to understand even the roughest of carcasses can often yield impossible to find, not-reproduced parts; they just want to cut their nose off to spite their face.

And anything can be restored. I've seen a lot of cars that were just as bad get built - convertibles that were broken right in half, or so close to it only the door latches held them together. One that was wrecked, then flipped upside down in the junkyard and the front frame torched off, then left to rot for 40 or 50 years - it took the guy about a year and two more parts cars, but he had it in primer ready to paint. Some people aren't afraid to take a car apart to the factory stampings and rebuild it from the last nut and bolt, and fabricate parts from scratch if necessary. A guy who's idea of a fuel pump repair on his GMC truck is to drive around all summer with a boat tank strapped to the cab roof gravity feeding the carb, is never going to understand that.

The same guys complaining about price have no idea how to negotiate a purchase, either. They don't even try to make an offer. Often it's because a lot of them are so broke they can barely afford to pay scrap money for a car. It doesn't matter that you could waive half an asking price in front of a guy and probably buy yourself a vehicle, if you have no money in the first place. They're also too dumb to try a trade. Sometimes the same $500 running clunker you use to justify the "all old cars should be cheap" opinion could be swapped for the more expensive car you really wanted in the first place. All you have to have is something the other guy likes better than what he has now.

These complainers also never seem to realize that not everyone is in dire need and must sell that old car so they can eat tomorrow. Not everyone with something for sale needs to sell it. I know I have things I like, but they're all replaceable, if you wave enough money at me I'll sell and go buy another. So I set the price based on what it would take for me to let it go, not what a book says it's worth. If that's too much for you, buy a different one. And not everyone is completely ignorant to what their car is worth, or what the parts on it are worth. So what you don't think it's worth what he wants - again, buy another one. Why should he sell for less just because you don't want to pay what he wants? There is nothing wrong with making a profit. Sometimes the accusation is that a guy is trying to rip someone off - which is also funny because no one's holding a gun to anybody's head to make them buy that old car at that price.

I've come to the conclusion that it's just a bullying game - these guys see something and they're so bitter and emotional they just get all ticked off about it, and post it on these boards to try to get other people to join in, thinking that maybe they can drive the guy with the high priced old car off the internet by bullying him enough with nasty and stupid comments. Or maybe they just want a couple parts off a car and hope that by constantly telling someone a car is junk, he'll give up and take it apart and sell what they want. They never stop and think or give any consideration at all to anything but themselves and either satisfying their emotions, or getting that part they want. It's hard to blame a guy for not being nice to selfish jerks like that.

The reason I know it's a game is because you can look and see people saying the same nasty things about cars be they rotted, broken in two parts donors, or complete cars that run and move. And because I've seen the same people fooled - they say a car that the paint's worn off from and is all surface rust is junk; a guy takes the time to throw some primer on it and suddenly it's a great restorable car. That's when you know you're dealing with someone that's a few bricks short of a load.

It's funny to read this thread and see the same poor logic over and over again. I tripped over it looking for something else, but I see this a lot, people find something they have a problem with and post on a board to whine about it.

First of all you can't compare apples and oranges - what you're saying is "I got this old car for cheap so all old cars should be cheap" then you list off a bunch of cars no one cares about, like 46-54 Mopars, Rambler anything, or a '53 Willys, plus throw in an AD Chevy dump truck you paid scrap price for because it's too darn big to haul very far. (Rambler?? Ever visit an old junkyard? They were picking on those to scrap when they brought $2 a ton over the scales, the only yards with any left are the ones that never scrapped out).

It just doesn't work that way - why don't you try that argument on a new car: "Mr. Chevrolet dealer, I can buy a new Hyundai or Kia for $14,000 so I think you should sell me a new Camaro or Corvette for that money." See how fast your behind hits the pavement when they throw you out the door.

If those cars had been a '50 Merc coupe, '57 Chevy Nomad, '59 Cadillac convertible, or a '32 Ford coupe - they would not have been cheap. Even a piece of crap '32 body shell brings a couple grand. One of those cars you're going on about is a real steel '36 3-window coupe - didn't a guy overseas somewhere and a guy here each build one of those from SCRATCH because they couldn't find a real one? Both were chopped, dark red, and in the magazines a few months apart. One was a Rod & Custom cover car.

Next, it's "I got this old car in nice shape for cheap, so all old cars that look ugly or don't run must be worthless" (and often "and should be scrapped" follows that). Sometimes the same guy will brag about the money he made ruining the car by parting it out. Again it just doesn't work that way. Just because one guy had a '57 Chevy FI ragtop in a barn and sold it for $1500 doesn't mean they're all only worth $1500. Some people just want to get rid of stuff and don't care, some people don't make any effort to check into value, and all you were when you buy it is the guy who was in the right place at the right time. It has no bearing on the value of a car, because it might sell for 20 times that the very next day.

The ones who go on about should be scrapped are apparently too dumb to understand even the roughest of carcasses can often yield impossible to find, not-reproduced parts; they just want to cut their nose off to spite their face.

And anything can be restored. I've seen a lot of cars that were just as bad get built - convertibles that were broken right in half, or so close to it only the door latches held them together. One that was wrecked, then flipped upside down in the junkyard and the front frame torched off, then left to rot for 40 or 50 years - it took the guy about a year and two more parts cars, but he had it in primer ready to paint. Some people aren't afraid to take a car apart to the factory stampings and rebuild it from the last nut and bolt, and fabricate parts from scratch if necessary. A guy who's idea of a fuel pump repair on his GMC truck is to drive around all summer with a boat tank strapped to the cab roof gravity feeding the carb, is never going to understand that.

The same guys complaining about price have no idea how to negotiate a purchase, either. They don't even try to make an offer. Often it's because a lot of them are so broke they can barely afford to pay scrap money for a car. It doesn't matter that you could waive half an asking price in front of a guy and probably buy yourself a vehicle, if you have no money in the first place. They're also too dumb to try a trade. Sometimes the same $500 running clunker you use to justify the "all old cars should be cheap" opinion could be swapped for the more expensive car you really wanted in the first place. All you have to have is something the other guy likes better than what he has now.

These complainers also never seem to realize that not everyone is in dire need and must sell that old car so they can eat tomorrow. Not everyone with something for sale needs to sell it. I know I have things I like, but they're all replaceable, if you wave enough money at me I'll sell and go buy another. So I set the price based on what it would take for me to let it go, not what a book says it's worth. If that's too much for you, buy a different one. And not everyone is completely ignorant to what their car is worth, or what the parts on it are worth. So what you don't think it's worth what he wants - again, buy another one. Why should he sell for less just because you don't want to pay what he wants? There is nothing wrong with making a profit. Sometimes the accusation is that a guy is trying to rip someone off - which is also funny because no one's holding a gun to anybody's head to make them buy that old car at that price.

I've come to the conclusion that it's just a bullying game - these guys see something and they're so bitter and emotional they just get all ticked off about it, and post it on these boards to try to get other people to join in, thinking that maybe they can drive the guy with the high priced old car off the internet by bullying him enough with nasty and stupid comments. Or maybe they just want a couple parts off a car and hope that by constantly telling someone a car is junk, he'll give up and take it apart and sell what they want. They never stop and think or give any consideration at all to anything but themselves and either satisfying their emotions, or getting that part they want. It's hard to blame a guy for not being nice to selfish jerks like that.

The reason I know it's a game is because you can look and see people saying the same nasty things about cars be they rotted, broken in two parts donors, or complete cars that run and move. And because I've seen the same people fooled - they say a car that the paint's worn off from and is all surface rust is junk; a guy takes the time to throw some primer on it and suddenly it's a great restorable car. That's when you know you're dealing with someone that's a few bricks short of a load.

welcome and what a fine introduction, got any pics of your projects???????????????????

Pee> Post Toasties= long boring story, and definitely no personality
He must be the guy with all the rust for sale in New York. hahaha

Old crap

BlackSheep,I agree ,a long boring line of crap and definitely not an intro. The only way to buy any thing you want is make an offer,if the sellers says no,move on,but as said earlier ,a bunch of rusty stuff in New York is not going to bring those prices.Its his crap and the longer its sits through the NY winters hes losing money but by the looks of it he must have plenty so when the local Gov gets on his case about the clutter,as they are doing everywhere in every state ,then he is up the creek .:cool:

BlackSheep,I agree ,a long boring line of crap and definitely not an intro. The only way to buy any thing you want is make an offer,if the sellers says no,move on,but as said earlier ,a bunch of rusty stuff in New York is not going to bring those prices.Its his crap and the longer its sits through the NY winters hes losing money but by the looks of it he must have plenty so when the local Gov gets on his case about the clutter,as they are doing everywhere in every state ,then he is up the creek .:cool:

Exactly. It is all in the eye of the beholder. I have a buddy down in Texas who when he looks at stuff to buy it is junk. But, IF he is selling it is a whole other story. And, just to add, I kinda digg the older Ramblers, and the old dump truck. It reminds me of the old Texas State truck I bought years ago. It was a 71 Intl with a 348 in it. You couldn't tear that thing up. I do hate to see good stuff go to waste though.

How bad do ya want it!!

The Bradly GT seems somewhat reasonable

I thought that was reasonable too, looked at the pics, and there is an A model Ford in the background that is not listed. Looked like a depression era doodlebug (tractor conversion)

64fordcrew18.jpg

I can't believe that guy sells anything. I've had a tough time unloading most of my cars for what I paid for them. I've been trying to sell the Willys for a while now for 400 bucks with no takers. He had some Willys Aeros that were in even worse shape than mine and he wanted 1500 dollars or more. He keeps using that Old Cars Report to base his prices on. I think that Old Cars Report is a bit unrealistic on their prices. If he gets these stupid high prices just by putting crap on Ebay maybe I've been going about selling old cars wrong all these years :confused:

Old Ford Crew Cab isa terd that shoulda been crushed IMO . But if someone wanted to build a custom ,[;) here are the parts LOL ! A Pickup should not have a back seat , that's what the bed is for, If they don't wanna ride back there they can walk![ddd

Hey guys, its the oldest trick in the book, i've seen hundreds of times, the guy is an avid collector, hates to part with any of his treasures, wife says "either the junk goes or i go" the guy not wanting to breakin a new wife says " look honey its all on e-bay, not my fault no one is buying, bad economy you know".

Those old Ford crewcabs are somewhat rare and sought after. Just the back doors off that truck would be worth a couple hundred each. I don't see much else good on it but it would sure be a shame to crush it.
I had a 69 crewcab and it was a pure joy to drive. I regret not having it anymore, but it needed attention I couldn't give it so I passed it on to a friend.
I had the back seat out and found it to be a great place to keep stuff dry and locked up. Plus I as able to move the seat back a few more inches for more legroom.

the rents too god dang high

Old Cars Report???? Nada is smoking crack i think NADA is just there to support dealers pricing cars well over what they are actually worth. some guy has 3 66 mustangs on his lot... tornado comes through... insurance values the cars at 30 grand apiece and settles for 20k per...the insurance company pays the dealer... the underwriter pays the insurer...the money launderer pays the underwriter...cmon here who are they kidding?
if I see the word NADA in anyones ad I close it and move on I can't respect someone without the nads to at least tell me what HE thinks his car is worth without trying to justify it on someone elses opinion. fact is usually they cant. they throw on a gold chain and think the act of dragging the pig across their property and walking around it 3 times somehow magically turned it into a silk purse.
At least be honest and say hey...I want to make a little something off it what's wrong with that?

Here's an example I have this 62 galaxie convertible
Before I got it it was on the HAMB and I got it off Ebay...
I paid $750 for it and spent around $300 towing it home.
I changed my mind on what I want and I've had it listed for $3000 to see if I get any offers and dropped it to $2,000. maybe I'll make a little something off it maybe somebody has something I want more. I know their going to want too much for what they got so i have to want too much for what I got. I know they are going to want to haggle so why start with what I paid and go down?

I don't have to sell one to everybody i just need to sell this one to the right guy. if I ask too much no-one is even going to nibble on the line.

Well i found the right guy (I hope) he has a rusty galaxy 62 500 xl convertible he's restoring and doesn't want to patch one up he wants virgin factory tin...cheapest rust free one i saw in the last 3 years was 5,000 for a burned out one.
And my guy located me through the guy I bought it from.
he knows what I spent...he's going to give me what I paid for it and spent getting it home and bring me something rust free from out west to play with that I don't have here and he can get cheap there.

If the deal goes through, we both win...He gets more than he was hoping for... and so do I.

On to the next deal...

It's fine yard art... Moving it disturbs the aging process.

I was at this guys yard last summer. He seems like a really nice guy to me. He does think all his stuff is rust colored GOLD. I went looking for a vintage racecar stuff. He has a little bit of everything. It'll be neat to see what happens when he dies and all his stuff gets auctioned off. He does have a bunch of stuff. Too bad it is in upstate NY and the weather isnt helping it age at all. Wish I could get him to come down on his prices tho...
MikeC

if it IS rustynewyorker, i can tell you 1 thing, he's a COLOSSAL douchebag! but i discovered thats the case with most of the guys on the HAMB. they spend way too much time belittling other peoples efforts and playing style police. not to mention sounding like yet another faction of the "we're better than you" hotrod culture. i learned a ton of stuff on there but i got tired of all the crybabies bitchin about how NOT to build a car.

Latest posts

Back