Carlisle: Not sure I'll ever go back

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat'l Trap

I drive from 20 minutes south of Frederick, MD and it normally takes me about an hour and a half. Today I left my house at 7:20 AM expecting to get there around 9 AM, walk the grounds (all 158 acres...) for about 4 or 5 hours, and roll out. Well, since last fall, evidently they have changed the traffic pattern thru Carlise on rte. 34/11. Well boys, today it took until 10:30 to get there. That's twice as long as in the past. 5 miles of stop and go on a 2 lane road, and I dont have a GPS. And I went on a Friday to minimize the crowd effect. Guess what?? SO DID EVERY OTHER PERSON ON THE EAST COAST! Then, to make it a complete day, the traffic leaving was nearly as bad as getting here. GOOD possiblility that I wont go back. I didnt find one thing that I couldnt live without on top of it all. Sheesh! [P

Last edited by a moderator:
Having a bad day?
I was hoping to give my opinion of the new traffic pattern to one of the local constables. They basically changed two lanes both ways to one lane both ways and a center left turn lane. There is no good reason to cut the amount of traffic a road can handle by 50%. Yeah, I guess you could say it started out bad and went downhill from there. But now it's all over with, and I would like to add that Scotland does a fine job with distilling spirits! [cl

Did you partake in a little Glenfitich???

I was hoping to give my opinion of the new traffic pattern to one of the local constables. They basically changed two lanes both ways to one lane both ways and a center left turn lane. There is no good reason to cut the amount of traffic a road can handle by 50%. Yeah, I guess you could say it started out bad and went downhill from there. But now it's all over with, and I would like to add that Scotland does a fine job with distilling spirits! [cl

My guess is the PoPo had nothing to do with the traffic changes.... probably some council person complained that they "were nearly killed" by speeding traffic so the city paid some "traffic engineer" who decided it was too dangerous to allow traffic to flow smoothly....so decided to put a bottle neck to make sure nobody would speed thru..... You probably were so upset by the time you got there that nothing looked good..... been there and done that.....
I've had to deal with political persons putting their noses where they have no business..... :eek: Hate politics..... Hate it hate it hate it..... whew....I feel so much better...:D

It's strange, but for all the years I lived in Pennsylvania, I have never been to Carlisle or Hershey swap meets. Not sure why, but now that I'm 1500 miles away I would love to go. :confused: They tell me it takes days to see Hershey and I bet Carlisle is pretty good too.

Don

Center turn lanes and round abouts are the new fads for traffic engineers. Fine for low density areas, but lousy to just plain stupid for anywhere else.

I even heard our local 'traffic guru' say that "they are safer because they confuse drivers, so therefore the drivers will be more alert." WHAT?

Latest posts

Back