Anyone here had open-heart surgery?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A child and modern medicine can defeat anything. When my son was 2 years old, we took him to hospital with a high fever and a sore leg (strange, but true). Two hours later, they were prepping him for emergency surgery. Shortly explained, he had a serious infection somewhat related to Necrotizing Fasciitis. (The flesh-eating disease, a genuine threat to life and limb). "The next 24 hours will tell". We were absolutely stunned.

Aside from one crabby nurse (seems every ward has one) they did a wonderful job saving his leg and quite possibly his life. He turns 20 in a few weeks and lives a happy, healthy, normal life despite his ordeal with a rare and relatively unknown illness.

Today's medicine performs miracles daily. I expect tomorrow to be one of those days. From me and my family, our thoughts are with you and yours.

Today is the day. Hopefully Rat'l Trap can share some good news.
SHE MADE IT WITH FLYING COLORS!! We were up at 4 and at the hospital by 6. Everything was fine until my daughter had to hand over the little one to the anesthesiologist, then she lost it. We did our best to distract her in the cafeteria. Even that was a bit difficult so I took a good long walk around the entire 4 hospital complex.
The ordeal took 4 hours plus another for them to get the baby to where we could see her. Tubes and wires and bandages and tape nearly covered the little thing. The doctor was Australian (love how they talk) and the cheif of pediatric cardiology who said he did about 350 of these operations each year. Great googleymoogley. He said that of all the kinds of heart defect to have, this is the one. He was happy with how it went and said he might need to fix something later but wanted to wait and see. So my good men, you were right and thankfully so. Modern medicine and youth teamed up to bring this one to a positive close.
Thanks to all your tremendous support, I may have lighter gray hair, but still have it all! [cl

Thank God, that is such great news. I'm telling you, these little ones are tough critters. :D It's the parents and grandparents who take a beating when this stuff happens.

So glad for all of you.

Don

I went to visit the prescious little lady, along with my daughter today. Keep in mind it has been roughly 2-1/2 days since the baby had open heart surgery. Breaking the breastbone open, rib spreaders and the whole deal. She has stitches from roughly between her nipples to almost her navel.
I actually had the girl smiling today. She was originally on morphine, then oxycontin, and now she isnt even on Tylenol and was mesmerized by a mobile hanging over the bed she was in. They moved her out of the ICU today which is about half the time they thought it might be. The pain meds were to last two to four days.
Whoever said kids were tough made an understatement of epic proportions. Any of us in her shoes would be laid up for weeks on the heavy stuff. While my hat is certainly off to the health care professionals, I am in awe of how resilient babies are. Just hard to fully comprehend.

Amen!!

God bless that little one......kids heal so quickly....don't remember a darned thing about it and other than a scar...not even a memory...she is a beautiful little girl....I'm sure you are one proud Grandpa!!! So good to hear she is doing so great....:D

I hadn't bothered opening this thread until now since I never had heart surgery.... Glad it is turning out so well. Amazing!!! (Cool pic too)

Latest posts

Back