front suspension

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

31chevrod

I have a question about front single spring suspension, do I need to run shackels on each end of the spring? Or can I just build a bracket to mount straight to the axle? Thanks for any input. Mike

As your leaf spring gets a load on it, it will flatten out and become a longer distance from end to end. If you don't have shackles it can't do this. Your shackles should be at a 45* angle when the car is ride height.

You DO NOT need shackles on both ends of the spring - just on one end. Most guys on this forum are too young to remember when hot rodders ran "dead perches" instead of panhard rods. A dead perch is simply a solid shackle that doesn't move - all the spring elongation is taken up at the opposite side of the spring where the single shackle is. I used one very successfully on a '31 Ford pickup I built. I bought it from The Deuce Factory. Here is a photo:

khv2.jpg

Attachments

• 3-28-11 016.jpg
    3-28-11 016.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 20
you will need shackles on both sides of the spring. since the spring is bolted to the chassis in the center, you need allow roof for the spring to move equally on both sides. unlike how parallel leaf springs work, having a solid point to pivot and the shackle on the back.

there are 2 types of dead perchs, the one already mentioned and one usually located on the center on the chassis and comes down to the axle like a tuning fork that rides on a stud with a bushing, keeping the axle from moving side to side. they were commonly used on vintage sprint cars, and have been used on the street but either design can give a rough ride

i like to set my cast angle up 6*-9* depending on WB, motor, and front end weight

Yep, and they also keep the axle from tipping forward or back - when you hit the brakes, the top of the axle wants to tilt forward.

Latest posts

Back