Snowball

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

21willys

That's what a simple exhaust manifold leak fix did to me today. My last trip out to Cali and thru the mountains while there worked my truck pretty good. It saw 230 degrees on more then one mountain. So on my way home the exhaust manifold gasket on the rear Cyl gave away. (I made it to iowa atleast before it blew apart). It lost just a little power and mpg buT made it home just fine. Today I figured I would just buzz the bolts loose and put new gaskets in and be good to go. WRONG! It turns out that the manifold on the little cummins like to shrink and warp up. By shrink I mean it's now about 1/2" to short to bolt on. This is the front of the engine while the rear Cyl has one bolt in it.

you can see how far off the bolt holes are. I tried a manifold spreader with no luck and at last resort ended up buying a new manifold. So $560 later I still don't have my truck fixed but will have a upgraded manifold that should keep egts down and help the motor run cooler.

Let me know how much of a difference the new manifold makes. I have wanted to put one on my first gen for a while now. But mine hasnt broke yet ( knock on wood )glad you made it home safely and didnt break anything else

Let me know how much of a difference the new manifold makes. I have wanted to put one on my first gen for a while now. But mine hasnt broke yet ( knock on wood )glad you made it home safely and didnt break anything else

If your truck is stock it's a waste of money. This truck is stock but I need my truck ASAP as it's my income. So they $500 for the manifold that was in stock ten miles from my house was a no brainer. Eventually I will swap this manifold for one on one of my other trucks that has had some mods done to it.

Would not have believed that was possible :eek:

Tomorrow once I get the old one off I will take a pic of the new and old one beside each other. You will be able to see why they shrink up. Most of the big trucks are three piece manifolds so they can move on eachother. My new one is a two piece so hopefully no more problems.

Yeah, no brainer. My truck is far from stock so im sure it would be good for it.

Did you get one of the ceramic coated manifolds? I hear they flow really well and help keep the exhaust temps down.

Did it shrink because the bolts were gone? Or do they do that and when you take the bolts out you just can't get them lined back up?

Did you get a comparison picture for the old and new manifolds?
I would think cast would break before it shrinks but I'm always up for seeing strange but true stuff. :)

Did it shrink because the bolts were gone? Or do they do that and when you take the bolts out you just can't get them lined back up?

They shrink and then the bolts don't come out. The bolts on the rear port had a stagger in them from the old manifold trying to shear them. I will get a pic of this tomorrow if I have time. When removing the bolts they wouldn't turn out and I just went ahead and broke them with hopes that I could remove the piece from the head. Once the manifold was removed I removed the remaining piece of the bolt by hand since it wasn't under pressure any more.

If I had a repair shop tell me the manifold shrank, I might have been prone to challenge that.
Now that I see yours, there's no denying what the eye can see.

If I had a repair shop tell me the manifold shrank, I might have been prone to challenge that.
Now that I see yours, there's no denying what the eye can see.

I'm the same way. I would of told the shop they was crazy. But as soon as I started to remove mine I knew something was messed up. A quick google search confirmed that it's common for them to shrink and warp.

21willys, did you get this bad boy installed? If so did you notice any difference, powet, egt's, milage? Im tearin into 93 sooner than expected, still debating on new manifold or not

Latest posts

Back