When is it gonna stop..

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

21willys

Blowing like crazy?!?! I'm heading to Utah and have been driving into a 20-30 mph head wind all day. Doing 55 mph to safe on fuel is getting very boring!

At least you're working. I've been down what will be three weeks come Friday.:( Gonna have to do something pretty quick.:(

Why is it always a headwind? (Seems I can drive west in the morning, east in the afternoon and fight both ways.)

Once, and only once that I recall, I caught a strong tailwind and figgered my fuel gauge was broken!

At least you're working. I've been down what will be three weeks come Friday.:( Gonna have to do something pretty quick.:(

Do you have a reliable pick up that's 3/4 ton or better? You can make ok money running campers. We have drivers from all over the country and canada who drive for us.

Why is it always a headwind? (Seems I can drive west in the morning, east in the afternoon and fight both ways.)

Once, and only once that I recall, I caught a strong tailwind and figgered my fuel gauge was broken!

Agreed! I just checked the weather here. 39mph out of the west, I was really hoping by getting up at 2 am that I'd catch a break.

Apparently the wind is all east of me now. Clear blue cold sky's in Nebraska.

Do you have a reliable pick up that's 3/4 ton or better? You can make ok money running campers. We have drivers from all over the country and canada who drive for us.

No, my pickup is 1/2 ton. I like where I'm at, been there for 20 years, just got to get another truck, engine is down in mine. Having a hard time finding anything with decent miles and pre smog that I can get financed. Found one, but since I do a lot of cash business, having a hard time with stupid finance co's that want a bigger down payment. :mad:

I understand that completely. Would you be interested in replacing the engine in your truck? I have a few connections with guys who part out big trucks.

I've been trying to get a medium duty chassis truck to build what's called a "tow n haul". Shopping for big trucks isn't any fun. I've finally found exactly what I want but it's consigned at a dealership that has zero interest in actually helping the seller. I was able to do some investigative work and find the owner and have been trying to get our schedules to work together for about a month now so I can buy it. Here's the truck.

I'm not a fan of international engines but it has everything else that I wanted.

I can tell you the wind is northeast of you. Windy as heck in Minni.

Yesterday I picked up a livestock trailer straight south of Minneapolis on the state line just off of 35 at the featherlite factory. You could actually feel the wind slow you down when it would gust.

I understand that completely. Would you be interested in replacing the engine in your truck? I have a few connections with guys who part out big trucks.

I've been trying to get a medium duty chassis truck to build what's called a "tow n haul". Shopping for big trucks isn't any fun. I've finally found exactly what I want but it's consigned at a dealership that has zero interest in actually helping the seller. I was able to do some investigative work and find the owner and have been trying to get our schedules to work together for about a month now so I can buy it. Here's the truck.

I'm not a fan of international engines but it has everything else that I wanted.

The local Dodge dealer usually has a couple of those but around here they are 4 door and not a huge sleeper. IH, Freightliner and KW mostly.

The sleeper is what I'm after. This one has bunks, fridge, microwave, and sink. I need more comfort then what the crew cabs can offer lol. I stopped at the dodge dealer and looked at what they had for sale when I was in town. I think the market in your area has a way higher demand then around me as the trucks where priced way higher.

I could have my engine inframed, but that would be about $15,000 to $20,000. Then I'd have a new engine with a drive train with 1,100,000 miles on it, waiting on the trans or rears to fail. :(

I thought about a used engine, but that's a crapshoot for sure. A supposed good engine will run $7500 to $15,000, then again I still have the tired drivetrain to consider. And you don't really know the history on the engine.

The biggest problem is I'm broke.:( My current truck has used up all my savings to keep it going the last year. It has been a real money pit, it's probably cost me more to keep up than any I've ever owned.
And I haven't even got anything to sell that would bring in enough to help.:(

As much as I hate it, I'm probably going to end up doing a lease purchase from my company. I despise the trucks they have, but at least I can get back to making a little money.

Good luck on that IH 21. Some people have good luck with the IH engines, some don't.

Good lord! What engine do you have? That seams crazy expensive for a in frame IMO. What is wrong with your engine? I didn't know if a band aid could be done to it to atleast give you a runner to trade in.

The words "lease purchase" make me want to up chuck. I couldn't do it.

My brother n law is certified in everything international and can build the motors in his sleep. If it wasn't for him I would be skeptical to buy it.

The sleeper is what I'm after. This one has bunks, fridge, microwave, and sink. I need more comfort then what the crew cabs can offer lol. I stopped at the dodge dealer and looked at what they had for sale when I was in town. I think the market in your area has a way higher demand then around me as the trucks where priced way higher.

Because goat ropers and barrel racers love them

Eric, I've got a Series 60 Detroit 14 liter, 490 HP. It's getting oil in the coolant, just got it out of the shop where they removed and checked the oil cooler as the probable cause. No dice, cooler was fine, I'm out $2800 for nothing. Something internal, head, cylinder liner possibly. No way that I know of to patch it. It runs and drives, but it fills the coolant with oil. I'm trying to trade it right now, the dealer found the oil :(, it knocked the trade value way down. :mad:
The financing is what's giving me problems. Just because I don't put all my money in the bank and then draw it back out as I need it, some are saying I don't have enough cash flow. I just don't like banks, and only deal with them when I have to. I prefer cash. Got a good credit score, just can't show them I can pay for it I reckon.

My excavator is financed thru pacific finance leasing or something like that. They do "contracts" for equipment and trucks. Might be worth a call. They financed me for my equipment when others wouldn't because of it's age. Here's the number. (253) 568-6000 might be worth a try.

I would think the liners would make it burn coolant and get coolant in oil. Not oil in coolant. The leak has to be where the oil is under pressure if oil is in coolant. Have you checked the air compressor? Any oil/coolant in the air tanks? Just thinking out loud here...

Latest posts

Back