Post concussion syndrome...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had it many years ago when I fractured my skull. (Don't ask.) I had dizziness on and off for about a year, but no lasting pain that I recall.

Sorry, I'm no help but I can relate and hope you find some relief!

If there is a solution, it's at your finger tips. All AMA doctors are allowed to do is surgery and medicate so I'd dig in on the internet and look under holistic solutions. There are also alternative medicine practitioners.

Maybe you'll be lucky and it will go away with no long term effects. I was not lucky and have pretty severe problems...that's why I'm not on the forum much anymore. Some days my brain won't work well enough for me even spell the most simple words. Today I'm doing pretty good.

I had it pretty bad in the Army...five concussions in six years, but did O.K. for a long time. Finally, at about 62 yrs old, it started getting bad again. I went to many, many VA doctors and was finally told that they really couldn't help a lot...once brain cells are dead, they're dead, but they did put me on a medicine called Donepezil HCL that is normally used to slow alzheimer's. I've been taking it for about a year and it does seem to help some.

My advice is to find a really good doctor and get started on something before it's too late...as is my case. Good luck, Bill.

Medical marijuana could be your answer for chronic prolonged pain. And yes there is all kinds of pros and cons and dumb ass remarks etc....
When the pain gets to the unbearable point you might consider checking into it.

Been there and done that. Good luck Bud.

Maybe you'll be lucky and it will go away with no long term effects. I was not lucky and have pretty severe problems...that's why I'm not on the forum much anymore. Some days my brain won't work well enough for me even spell the most simple words. Today I'm doing pretty good.

I had it pretty bad in the Army...five concussions in six years, but did O.K. for a long time. Finally, at about 62 yrs old, it started getting bad again. I went to many, many VA doctors and was finally told that they really couldn't help a lot...once brain cells are dead, they're dead, but they did put me on a medicine called Donepezil HCL that is normally used to slow alzheimer's. I've been taking it for about a year and it does seem to help some.

My advice is to find a really good doctor and get started on something before it's too late...as is my case. Good luck, Bill.

Thank you for your service sir.

This is where I'm at now. Simple task turn into a major problem to get done because I can't focus on what I'm doing. It's a very depressing and overwhelming feeling to know that it may be awhile before I'm back to normal if ever.

Right now I'm focusing on short term. I have a vacation planned with my boys to go to Moab Utah for Easter jeep week. It's going to be a struggle to get the jeep done in time now even if I get better soon. Plus I'm not cleared to drive yet. It just sucks.

Medical marijuana could be your answer for chronic prolonged pain. And yes there is all kinds of pros and cons and dumb ass remarks etc....
When the pain gets to the unbearable point you might consider checking into it.

Been there and done that. Good luck Bud.

As of now it's not a option because of my cdl and if I fail a **** test I loose the lease where I haul campers for.

Thanks for the post and suggestions guys. I wasn't able to find a acupuncture place near me and traveling is a problem right now. I will call a chiropractor tomorrow if I can focus enough.

Eric

Yeah, sucks bigtime, but hey, it is what it is. Let's try to make the most of what we've got while we've still got something. Good luck. :)

Thanks, that's all we can do!

I posted some good deals for sale in the parts section if anyone's interested!

I've been going to a licensed massage therapist for 2-3 years, once a month. She has several modalities she can use and one she is just getting into is called quantum energy.I don't know the nuts and bolts of it but she can nail some things and reset you, make adjustments or give you home remedies. It's actually pretty amazing how screwed up some of us are and don't even know it half the time.

I was going to ask how soon the symptoms appear after the initial injury, but I see in the article that it is within months. I was in an accident back in around 89, and I suspect that I was knocked out for awhile. I was driving alone, and collided with another car. (Someone had chopped down the stop sign - wooden posts in Brazil. The pavement was level through on my street, and the road way was wider, but the other way had the right of way, which I didn't know.) I sort of remembered putting my head down on the wheel (VW microbus) after I pulled over to the curb. When I left the vehicle, there was already a crowd gathered at the corner, and I asked Where is the other vehicle that was involved? They thought I was talking about my vehicle, because no one knew. (The Fiat I hit was upside down, down the street a ways. The driver had to have been really moving along.) Anyway, I had bad headaches for some weeks after that, & couldn't stand to be out in the sun, which I had to do anyway. (Sometimes felt like I was going to pass out.) I never saw a doctor. Now I've been having sudden dizzy spells, and feel vaguely dizzy most of the time. But according to what I read in the article, that accident was way too long ago to be the cause of my issues.

I also vote for Chiropractic treatment. I was in agony and walked out feeling on top of the world. But it's like anything else. Some are much more capable than others. I worked with a guy who had been in a MC accident and had to struggle to think clearly and MDs couldn't do anything. He finally found a Chiropractor who popped his skull back into alignment and he was good as new. You have us worried here Eric. Hope you get the help you need.

I was going to ask how soon the symptoms appear after the initial injury, but I see in the article that it is within months. I was in an accident back in around 89, and I suspect that I was knocked out for awhile. I was driving alone, and collided with another car. (Someone had chopped down the stop sign - wooden posts in Brazil. The pavement was level through on my street, and the road way was wider, but the other way had the right of way, which I didn't know.) I sort of remembered putting my head down on the wheel (VW microbus) after I pulled over to the curb. When I left the vehicle, there was already a crowd gathered at the corner, and I asked Where is the other vehicle that was involved? They thought I was talking about my vehicle, because no one knew. (The Fiat I hit was upside down, down the street a ways. The driver had to have been really moving along.) Anyway, I had bad headaches for some weeks after that, & couldn't stand to be out in the sun, which I had to do anyway. (Sometimes felt like I was going to pass out.) I never saw a doctor. Now I've been having sudden dizzy spells, and feel vaguely dizzy most of the time. But according to what I read in the article, that accident was way too long ago to be the cause of my issues.

I've been reading what I can manage to and in some cases it's permanent. I've read a ton of people's story's and most have learned to cope with it and to manage the pain. Of what I've read there's more people who are permantely effected by it then people who get better.

It's my understanding that's the pain comes from the layer between your brain and skull being damaged. This area will not see any relief from pain meds. They have gave me a few things including a drug that is ten times stronger then morphine and all it did was make me vomit and have flu like symptoms on top of the head pain. Nothing fazes it and they told me to stop taking the hydrocodone that I was prescribed cause it can make things worse. They say to take Advil... IMO it's like putting a bandaid on a stabb wound.

Latest posts

Back