Bug to Butterfly

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sc5080

Look what followed me home today.

Not entirely sure where this will end up but I'm planning to use a T bucket style frame that I have and one of these engines that I have in order of probability .. a 355 sbc with dual quads and a th350 trans, a 200 Ford inline 6 with c4, a 302 Ford with c4, or a 460 Ford with c6.

The body will likely be cut down to make a pickup style cab or a roadster pick up. I could even be convinced to do something similar to the one that Ben Modified is building as I think that one is major cool. (http://www.ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35459).

Be a while before anything gets done as its in cold storage until "Sheets and Giggles" is completely finished.

I'll be very happy to receive suggestions as to which way I should go with this.

Attachments

• Homecoming.jpeg
    Homecoming.jpeg
    71.2 KB · Views: 225

Attachments

• hot rod vw.jpg
    hot rod vw.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 145
  • hot rod vw.jpg1.jpg
    hot rod vw.jpg1.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 149
  • hot rod vw.jpg2.jpg
    hot rod vw.jpg2.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 148
  • hot rod vw.jpg3.jpg
    hot rod vw.jpg3.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
You guys are cuttin' bob w's grass again!

Super Comp: When I read the thread title, I was expecting something to do with Enderle injection. Thanks for the disappointment. ;)

vw2.jpg

b66984bc8932e2f4cd22f2cde92a1375.jpg

You guys are cuttin' bob w's grass again!

Super Comp: When I read the thread title, I was expecting something to do with Enderle injection. Thanks for the disappointment. ;)

vw2.jpg

b66984bc8932e2f4cd22f2cde92a1375.jpg

Building another race car would be to expensive right now what with the cost of divorce lawyers and such. I do like the idea though! :)

I really like the look of this one that I found on the web. Have to try ignore the model though .. look hard and you will see there is a car in the picture.

Attachments

• s-l1600 (1).jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 160
  • s-l1600 (2).jpg
    s-l1600 (2).jpg
    106 KB · Views: 152
  • s-l1600 (3).jpg
    s-l1600 (3).jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 137
  • s-l1600 (6).jpg
    s-l1600 (6).jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 161
  • s-l1600 (14).jpg
    s-l1600 (14).jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 150
  • s-l1600 (7).jpg
    s-l1600 (7).jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 147
  • s-l1600 (15).jpg
    s-l1600 (15).jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 126
Building another race car would be to expensive right now what with the cost of divorce lawyers and such. I do like the idea though! :)

I really like the look of this one that I found on the web. Have to try ignore the model though .. look hard and you will see there is a car in the picture.
The VW looks to be about a '65 or '66 model. The distraction is much much newer.

I keep thinking about a VW for the altered chassis, but there are so many out there. It would be so easy though. I'll think more after the 39 is done.

I keep thinking about a VW for the altered chassis, but there are so many out there. It would be so easy though. I'll think more after the 39 is done.

A VW bodied altered would be pretty cool. I think there were a few running as funny cars way back.

and a couple more

i really dig this one

These are kind of what I had in mind originally. Push the body back a little bit, shorten the bed a little bit and there it is. Maybe delete the hood and put a tractor grill on it. Glad I'm going to take some time to decide before I take out the sawsall. :) It's like a Chinese menu .. so many good ideas! Thanks for the input.

Small start on collecting all the parts that will be needed. Old school Offenhauser 360 intake, dual 450 Holley carbs, and a Hilborn style scoop.

Attachments

• IMG_0945.jpg
    IMG_0945.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 54
In my search for headlight holders/adjusters for putting in old headlight cans, I was chatting with a lad that has built a few v-rods. He said a 40-ish Chevy PU cab back panel is a very close match to the bug body shape when you cut it (the bug) off behind the doors. Maybe not the easiest part to find compared to VW bodies, but something to think about.

Thanks Skip. I had seen pictures of that being done but didn't know what was needed for the donor cab. Maybe I'll have to start looking for a cab that has only the back left .. if it was in good shape I'd have to start another project :)

Sure hoping I won't regret this but I bought this kit on ebay ... complete front axle, suspension, brakes and steering for $600 US. Just to good a price to pass up .. unless it turns out to be junk.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-4...t&_soffSubType=SALE_EVENT&_trksid=p5731.m3795

While shopping for disc brake spindles and brakes for my Model A axle I found and I bought one of these too. I received four boxes with no packing list. Eventually I figured out that some parts were missing. After some back and forth with them I was told the fifth box was on back order and would be here on the 9th. I'm missing the steering U-joint, steering box mounting bracket, steering arms, and kingpins. Later they said they didn't have a firm date when they would have my parts and since they needed to close the Ebay resolution case offered a partial refund. After some negotiation they refunded $140.

I bought the kingpins for $40 from Speedway and since I plan to use cowl steering I will need to make the steering arms and I don't need the rest.

BTW, I was reluctant to use the Chinese bearings that came with it but the bearing numbers directly cross over to National or Timken. I bought Timken Set 2 and Set 17.

I'm really happy with what I have and really really happy with the final cost. Hope your experience goes as well.

Latest posts

Back