Changing rod bearings with the motor still in the car?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haven’t done it myself, but watched a old mechanic change the bearings in one of my semi diesels one time. He made it look easy....

Mechanics used to do it in big trucks all of the time. I had it done four or five times on one truck over 35000 hrs. There's more room to get the pan off, under a truck that usually has a straight axle. So that's one question, can you easily get the pan off. Another question is how clean do you want the job to be. These are just thoughts to consider, as I have not put bearings in a motor, in a car.

Back when we were racing, all eight after every run.

Otherwise, I've done a few repair jobs. If the crank journal isn't buggered up, polish with some emery cloth, check clearance with plasti-gauge and screw it back together. Of course, you need access as Mac said!

Sounds like Steinbeck's "Grapes of Wrath".

I never did it but I recall people pulling shims out of the rods on early Chevy 6's.

Never done it, and cannot imagine what it's like to hold a crank in one hand while trying to get a main on and a bolt started without dinging the crap out of the journals [S

I think the real question isn't can you do it, but should you do it. What is it that leads one to consider this job - like, someone said "oh it's just a little rod knock, new bearings will fix it right up". Or is it because of low oil pressure? You really don't know until you take a bearing cap off how bad the wear is or if the journal is damaged. If the journal(s) are grooved or have anything more than normal wear, new bearings will go bad quickly, putting even more junk into the oil system and causing even greater damage.

Latest posts

Back