Before the internet?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmw56

Busted and Rusted on Route 66
Been doing some heavy reading. I have these covering late 30s to the 80s. Lots of invaluable information!

Attachments

• IMG_20210307_123139161.jpg
    IMG_20210307_123139161.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 34
I've got a stack of them. 32 to late 70s, I believe. The print is a lot smaller than it used to be. When I was writing manuals for Freightliner, I always tried to pattern my instructions after these fine books. We did tend to go into more detail though. As a matter of fact, we went into so much detail that a lot of techs laughed at us for it.

I think I have a couple of those out in the shop too. I was going to take pictures of them today, but forgot all about it. Is memory somehow tied to the shrinking text size that you speak of?

I think I have a couple of those out in the shop too. I was going to take pictures of them today, but forgot all about it. Is memory somehow tied to the shrinking text size that you speak of?

Yes. Diminishing eyesight, memory, strength, hairline, hearing etc. Advancing arthritis, joint pain and wear, hair growing out of ears and nose, etc. are all related to an allergic reaction to the smoke from birthday cake candles.

still got a bunch and still use them once in a while. Black stains on many pages bring back memories.

Driving old mopars in this country was true passion back then... [S
The only parts in stock were spark plugs... no one knew what you were talking about and the ones that did would rob you. Ordering and paying parts in the usa was challenging to say the least. :rolleyes: I spent a Hemi Cuda worth in phone bills to get info and parts...

Attachments

• tumblr_px8ijo9CRf1wjpbtro1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_px8ijo9CRf1wjpbtro1_1280.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 13
wait???!!! there was a time before the internet?????

hahahaha, I remember. it was a better time and place!!
my dad has a huge collection of shop manuals!

I use to have a few.

But right now I do have the online manual for my Chev. I can use the keyboard and no greasy ripped pages..:rolleyes:

Had quite a few myself.
I also remember when your local parts counter had 2 or 3 Books on it that were twice as thick as any Big city Phone book(Remember those).:eek: :p [ddd
Feeling old.......
Torchie

Had quite a few myself.
I also remember when your local parts counter had 2 or 3 Books on it that were twice as thick as any Big city Phone book(Remember those).:eek: :p [ddd
Feeling old.......
Torchie
I remember those days, and the guys behind the counter actually knew how to look stuff up in those books.

We still have a couple parts suppliers with books and people who know to use them...

If you go to one of those suppliers and ask for a phone book, however, you might get a blank stare. :p

Last edited:
I picked up about 8 or so of the Motor Manuals in an auction a few years back - just kept the two oldest ones (52 & 56, if I remember correctly), and gave the rest of them to my brother to sell for me. But he collects every manual he can get his hands on, so I don't think any of them went back out the door.
Speaking of the catalogs in a parts store, my dad was a service parts man (worked the counter that served the service department - the mechanics) from 56 until 91, and when I was in HS I skipped school a couple of times to help do inventory - counted every bolt & washer. Anyway, they had a rack with the rods running through the books, probably around 3 or 4 feet long. They were just getting started using computers when I was in HS (early mid 70's) - the data was stored on a tape that looked like a cassette. I don't know if the actual tape in those was a different material, or not. Maybe some old-time computer tech would know.

We still have a couple parts suppliers with books and people who know to use them...

If you go to one of those suppliers and ask for a phone book, however, you might get a blank stare. :p

My local guys still have books under the counter, and still drag them out when I stump them with my oddball requests.....:D

I’ve got a couple of Motors manuals and some Haynes and Clymer manuals for different models too. They are real handy to look up firing orders when you haven’t worked on something in a long time. I like the grille pics in the Motors manuals. I have caught an error in them a time or two, but most time they are spot on.

I had forgotten about the parts store books. The last of the Mom and Pop closed a couple years back. Now getting parts is all by vehicle. I had a lifted 4x4 and needed shocks. Did research and found the part numbers. Go in the chain store and guy asks vehicle and tells me they wont fit my truck. Jim

Latest posts

Back