I miss the old days...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bamamav

I miss the old days when places worked normal days and hours. Around here, banks were closed on Wednesdays and Sundays, but open on Saturdays half a day so that working folks could do their banking without having to take off work. Jobs worked common shifts, 7-3, 3-11, 11-7. Stores opened up at 7 or 8 and closed at 7 or 8, except for some smaller ones who opened up at 5 and closed at 5 or 6. Everybody had pretty much common hours, and you knew when you could go somewhere and find it open. Not anymore....

The transmission shop I want to take my trans to works 6-2, M-F. OK, so I decide to try and just load yesterday so I can take my trans to the shop......no, that didn't work out since the plant was so busy I didn't get loaded until after 12, too late once I got home to go, so it will sit until I get another chance to try and go or I talk my wife into carrying it up there for me. If the trans shop had of worked regular hours of 7-3, I could have made it. GRRRRR! It aggravates me, I had to let it sit until I had the money I felt safe in spending to get it fixed, now that I've got it, it has to sit because I can't get it to the damn shop! Damn! warmer weather is here, and I'm ready to get the old girl back together! She has sat long enough!

Just a little rant to start the weekend off with, LOL

I miss the old days when places worked normal days and hours. Around here, banks were closed on Wednesdays and Sundays, but open on Saturdays half a day so that working folks could do their banking without having to take off work. Jobs worked common shifts, 7-3, 3-11, 11-7. Stores opened up at 7 or 8 and closed at 7 or 8, except for some smaller ones who opened up at 5 and closed at 5 or 6. Everybody had pretty much common hours, and you knew when you could go somewhere and find it open. Not anymore....

The transmission shop I want to take my trans to works 6-2, M-F. OK, so I decide to try and just load yesterday so I can take my trans to the shop......no, that didn't work out since the plant was so busy I didn't get loaded until after 12, too late once I got home to go, so it will sit until I get another chance to try and go or I talk my wife into carrying it up there for me. If the trans shop had of worked regular hours of 7-3, I could have made it. GRRRRR! It aggravates me, I had to let it sit until I had the money I felt safe in spending to get it fixed, now that I've got it, it has to sit because I can't get it to the damn shop! Damn! warmer weather is here, and I'm ready to get the old girl back together! She has sat long enough!

Just a little rant to start the weekend off with, LOL

I hear ya, listen to Travis Tritt's new single, https://youtu.be/YDBTlv1z0dA

I miss the old days when you had several choices for a transmission shop or any service shop for that matter.

I used to know somebody in every trade and automotive business. All gone now, except for one and he'll likely retire soon. :(

I'll be 64 this year and just wish we could go back to the slower times. Everything moves so fast. Everyone seems to be in such a hurry. One highlight for me this past week to slow things down for me a bit, I have been working part time 8-12 for a small electronic company since July. I was 2 miles away but moving 14 miles away, not the good part. I asked the boss if on Wednesday I could come in early so I could leave early on Wednesdays because I volunteer at the covid clinic. He is like yea no problem do whatever you want. Kind of nice to be able to not have to rush a little. Jim

i know what your saying, and since this covid started it has gotten bad. no one wants to work. help wanted signs everywhere. what transmission shop you gonna use?

Our local bank here closes at 4:00 PM Monday - Thursday, open till 6:00 PM Fridays for working people to get their banking done. Open Saturday till noon.
The deal about the mechanics shop hours reminds me of how it was back in my home area in Oklahoma in the 60's. My Grandpa's third cousin (on my Dad's side, but also my Mom's sister-in-law's brother) had a shop in the little town closest to us. He was the kind of guy that you couldn't just walk in & say I want so and so done, blah, blah, give me a shout when you're done. No, you had to warm up to it, shoot the breeze for a while till you gradually worked your way in to what you were there for. And that was good. Business is business, sure, but the social end of things has been left out too much.
Or like the little shop my brother had in rural Nebraska (where my younger brother & I helped out for a few months one winter, must have been around 1980), the local sheriff would come in and hang out sometimes (only law-man I ever knew personally, on friendly terms, so to speak).

... what transmission shop you gonna use?

Using Burgess in Winfield. They're supposed to be good from what I hear, and they build a lot of racing transmissions. At one time, the owner was 1/3 owner in I22 Raceway, and had a badass early 60's Vette. He recently passed away, but I think it's his son who has the trans shop. Wife is going to take it over there for me next week since I can't seem to get home early enough to go. :(

Found out yesterday I ain't as strong as I used to be. :( I used to be able to pick up a automatic transmission and put it in the bed of a pickup, not any more. I had to rig up my come a long off the rafters of the new carport and pick it up and then back the truck under it. Sure glad I didn't put a ceiling out there, lol!:rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back