Dream Shop

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shop is really looking good! It always makes a big difference when the roof work starts and a more finished look starts taking over...

You're right there smallfoot ... starting to look more and more like a complete building every day. Shingles, doors, windows next. :D

I am soooo looking forward to the day this is finished and I can start moving in.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1098.jpg
    IMG_1098.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_1101.jpg
    IMG_1101.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_1102.jpg
    IMG_1102.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 81
Don't know if this question has been asked but, how do you plan to finish the interior ? [P[P[P

I'll be sheeting the walls and ceiling with 7/16 osb and painting it white. All the wiring will be inside the wall and I'll be using a 170,000 btu natural gas furnace for heat. Main lighting will be 9 evenly spaced fixtures with 6 "daylight" 5000 lumen T5 florescent tubes in each for a total of 54 neon tubes. Should be bright in there! I am also looking at adding some task lighting over the workbench. I'll have a couple of ceiling fans in there as well. There will be 3 220V outlets (one compressor and two welder plugs on opposite sides of the building) as well as a 220V outlet in the ceiling for a planned 2 post hoist. A total of 14 110V outlets are planned for the walls, mostly in the "project area".

I'll be sheeting the walls and ceiling with 7/16 osb and painting it white. All the wiring will be inside the wall and I'll be using a 170,000 btu natural gas furnace for heat. Main lighting will be 9 evenly spaced fixtures with 6 "daylight" 5000 lumen T5 florescent tubes in each for a total of 54 neon tubes. Should be bright in there! I am also looking at adding some task lighting over the workbench. I'll have a couple of ceiling fans in there as well. There will be 3 220V outlets (one compressor and two welder plugs on opposite sides of the building) as well as a 220V outlet in the ceiling for a planned 2 post hoist. A total of 14 110V outlets are planned for the walls, mostly in the "project area".

Heck yea [cl[cl[cl
:cool::cool::cool:

Shop is really progressing well. I was planning for the same sheeting for walls and ceiling, till some one told me to check with my insurance company. Seems it does not pass their fire code as a fire stop. May not apply to you but worth checking.

I am so jealous right now! Shop is looking awesome. My project have been pushed off probably till spring. Can't wait

looking good [cl

so, you have 110v and 220v available in the US? Just wondering since it`s 220 and 380 here. 380v sure helps powering heavy stuff and big welders.

Shop is really progressing well. I was planning for the same sheeting for walls and ceiling, till some one told me to check with my insurance company. Seems it does not pass their fire code as a fire stop. May not apply to you but worth checking.

I asked my insurance agent about it ... they didn't seem to care. The "outbuildings" are a rider on my house policy so I just increased the coverage value of the rider.

looking good [cl

so, you have 110v and 220v available in the US? Just wondering since it`s 220 and 380 here. 380v sure helps powering heavy stuff and big welders.

I'm in Canada Dutch but yes, the North American residential standard is 110 and 220.

I'd go LED on the lights. Cost less to use, and a whole lot brighter.

I looked into led's Bamamav ... they are significantly more expensive to put in. The T5's I'm using are 5000 lumens per tube which is the same as the led's and are much cheaper for the initial purchase. I likely won't live long enough to recover the difference in purchase price. :D

.... And, it looks like I managed to get a decent match to the house on the shingles. The house had been done 4 years ago but I discovered that the model of shingle had been discontinued by the manufacturer. Their current offering seems to match pretty good though. :)

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1107.jpg
    IMG_1107.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_1109.jpg
    IMG_1109.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 87
The Dream Shop is looking great! I built mine a few years ago and went with T5 lighting as well. Before I ordered I looked at used T8 fixtures thinking maybe I'd convert them to LED. I couldn't justify the extra expense to re-furbish old fixtures to convert. So... I bought T5 high bay fixtures, 4 lights per and put nine of them in. My shop is 28X36 and I couldn't be happier with the light. The lights have been up 3 years and the only thing I've noticed with them is they take a few extra seconds to reach full brightness. I put some nice LED fixtures under the cabinets at the bench to light that area up when needed. Thanks for sharing this build, I enjoy seeing shop builds as much as car builds.

That's good news SC.
Saskatchewan offered a rebate to switch to LED's a while ago, and I did a couple lights in the house first, our power grid is so dirty the lights blinked constantly like a strobe and drove us nuts, so we switched back. I did a search on google and I guess rural power and LEDs don't work in a lot of areas.

Got a little more done today ... the entry door, windows and ridge vent are installed. The balance of material to finish the building ... soffits, facia, siding, etc. ... will be delivered in a few days. Not to much longer now I hope. Still have to get the electrician and the gas fitter here to do their bits.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1110.jpg
    IMG_1110.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_1111.jpg
    IMG_1111.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 71
Haven't posted anything for a little while ... but the end is in sight. :D

Doors and windows are in. The vinyl siding will be finished in a few days. And the heater has been installed and gas lines run. Still have all the electrical to do.

When we did the trenching we decided to install an extra hose for water to the shop so I will have running water as well once everything is completed. Hadn't planned on that so its a bonus.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1122 (1).jpg
    IMG_1122 (1).jpg
    106 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_1121 (1).jpg
    IMG_1121 (1).jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_1120 (1).jpg
    IMG_1120 (1).jpg