A Hupmobile ???

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The late 1920's Dodge steering box was not working at all. Very stiff, not smooth. And heavy. I dug out a late Corvair box, the housing is cast iron instead of aluminum. Reversed it and mounted it as shown. Made the mounting bracket a bolt-in in case this arrangement didn't work. The rest of the parts were left overs from other projects. Spent quite a b it of time finding a good location for the box. This was the least bad location. Fortunately an early Chevy pitman arm fit so I was able to use the ball and socket tie rod ends that fit the image. There is a world of difference in how it steers. Got a scorpion belt buckle on the steering wheel hub.

Attachments

• IMG_3281.jpg
    IMG_3281.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_3282.jpg
    IMG_3282.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_3283.jpg
    IMG_3283.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 41
I mentioned I drove it to a show. On the way I realized the seat back was too thick and limited leg room. I had a couple theater seats and some rusty angle iron so the roadster has those seats. Now I can't reach the pedals! The gray seat was made from two school bus seats. See before and after.

Attachments

• IMG_3163 (1).jpg
    IMG_3163 (1).jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_3311.jpg
    IMG_3311.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 36

Latest posts

Back