A Hupmobile ???

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you for following along, guys. I appreciate it.
Today I tacked the deck lid skin to the frame. Got the tail pan on it too. There's tons of welding and grinding, but that's no fun so I'm putting it off. My friend Titus was at French Lake Auto Parts today and got a pair of '49 Ford trunk hinges for me. Nice guy.
The gaps are uneven and the tail pan is not level. All this is because the quarter panels are not identical, and the builder is suffering from age related diminished skills.

Attachments

• deck lid tail pan 001.jpg
    deck lid tail pan 001.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 42
  • deck lid tail pan 004.jpg
    deck lid tail pan 004.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 41
  • deck lid tail pan 002.jpg
    deck lid tail pan 002.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 44
  • deck lid tail pan 003.jpg
    deck lid tail pan 003.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 42
  • deck lid tail pan 005.jpg
    deck lid tail pan 005.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
I dispute the "Diminished skills" comment, bob.
Work looks great and you are still my hero.[cl :cool: [cl :cool:
Glad the 49 Ford hinge idea worked out for you. Should have had Titus grab some Dodge parts for me while he was there.:eek: [ddd
[P [P [P
Torchie

Geez Bob, that's looking really good. Gaps not perfect? - hell that's what they call "period correct"! Of the few old ones I've done, I could never find any similarities between the two sides of any car. I don't know how many hours I've wasted checking, measuring, splitting differences to try to satisfy myself - only to find another point to measure from that would be totally different again! It drives me crazy!!! You finally have to just say, "that's close enough"!

Looks great! No two sides are the same. Even on newer cars. I give you credit for making one car out of two different makes and mismatched quarters. I say if you can't tell at 30 mph it's good enough for the girls we date.[ddd[cl[P

Bob, you're making a car; a dang fine car. Ninety nine percent of the population couldn't do what you do; couldn't harrow what you plow. So don't judge yourself so harshly.
Keep up the good work; we're all watching.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not whining about diminishing skills. At my age I'm just happy I'm still in the game. Doing what I most want to do in my dotage.
Sometimes reposition your work to weld the inaccessible.
Second pic is the stock dashboard. Needs to be trimmed to fit. The gauges were shot but I managed to save the bezels. Such a unique shape I want to use this dash. Will try to fit round gauges behind these brass bezels.
The windshield frame and stanchions dictate a lot of the style of a roadster. How upright of slanted it is. Duval style with two panes of glass. Etc. So far I can't decide what would look good on this body. Here's a pic of the windshield on my RPU for reference.

I've got some huge Hoosier rear tires and a high HP 406 Chevy engine and could go with a competition look. Or, the roadster could look old timey with narrow skinnys and a stock 305 sbc. Can't decide.

Attachments

• pot poury 002.jpg
    pot poury 002.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 46
  • pot poury 001.jpg
    pot poury 001.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 49
  • pot poury 003.jpg
    pot poury 003.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 51
That first picture made me smile, bob.
If this was my shop it's about at this point where the wife would say." Couldn't you at least have pulled my car out so you don't get crap all over it."[ddd
I'm for the skinny tire/old jalopy look.
The Duval styled windshield is cool but just the lower half of something like a Model T Roadster windshield would work as well.
[P [P [P [P
Torchie

I can't believe I'm saying this... no fat tire, no competition look.

I'm not feeling a Duval windshield, either.

I vote "hot jalopy" with the 406, skinnys and positraction... a real "sleeper" until you step on it. [ddd

Latest posts

Back