Hercules

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Frame construction done, getting started on building the cab, 1x1x.063 tubing [;)

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_3711.JPG
    IMG_3711.JPG
    148.1 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_3712.JPG
    IMG_3712.JPG
    148.4 KB · Views: 87
Headers showed up today, they fit right in, 'cause they're made to fit the F100.
Clutch linkage is no problem but may need to move one pipe to get the steering shaft through - have to wait 'till the steering column goes in to sort that out....

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_3716.JPG
    IMG_3716.JPG
    134.4 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_3717.JPG
    IMG_3717.JPG
    141.3 KB · Views: 71
I'm glad you kept that 'pipe' gismo that goes across from the bracket you made on top of the frame to a ball on the motor. That 'pipe' takes the problems out of having a vertical rod going from a hanging clutch pedal to the throw-out bearing lever. When your motor mounts get stressed up under torque, that side of the motor and transmission rises, but the cab does not, so either the vertical rod has to get shorter quickly or the clutch will engage abruptly. Kenworth trucks suffered this poor engineering all through the seventies and first part of the eighties. Abrupt take-offs are only good on TV or the movies. Real truckers don't do 'abrupt', well.
Ford had engineered this little pipe gismo to counteract this physics problem. It looks like you were smart enough to realize that.
Keep up the good work. Bang-up Job, ZZ. [cl[cl

Had the grille shell sandblasted and tried the brass 'plating' thing by heating it and brushing with a brass wire brush. Splashed on some flat brown Tremclad and tomorrow I'll try rubbing it off the lettering - fingers crossed....hopefully it works

attachment.php

Putting together the bones of the cab, I predrilled the flat top plates to screw up into the wood framing of the roof. Looks all square and weird at this point but once the wood goes on and some sheet metal skins get there, it'll start to look more normal - whatever that is...[S.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_3721.JPG
    IMG_3721.JPG
    121.5 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_3724.JPG
    IMG_3724.JPG
    148.4 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_3725.JPG
    IMG_3725.JPG
    163.2 KB · Views: 72
Looks a little wide?:confused:

Compared to say, a Model A, yes it is at 59" wide. But then the rearend is also wide in comparison to an A. Driving comfort is important 'cause my butt 'aint as skinny as it used to be. Once you subtract the thickness of the walls and the driveshaft tunnel, I still need fairly narrow bucket seats. The Hennway is the same width too - once the fenders and running boards are on, it won't look out of whack.... I think.....[S:cool:

zz, I cant read as fast as you build. :eek:[cl I know this build will look right, be built right, drive right and not cost an arm and a leg.

Thanks guys.

man you have some hi speed progress going on there.... Must be great to actually know what yer doing.... :)

Don't confuse knowledge with blind ambition...:D This is all I have going on at the moment and in a couple weeks action will shift to the Packard Gasser for a bit, getting the body on the frame.

When the paint was still tacky, I took some QTips dipped in Acetone to rub off the lettering. Paint is more semigloss than flat, but Tremclad usually dulls after a while in the sun - or maybe I used too much hardener?? In my excitement to paint it, I forgot to weld studs on the backside to mount the grille... :(

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_3727.JPG
    IMG_3727.JPG
    136.1 KB · Views: 61

Latest posts

Back