53 Chevy rebuild

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
some suspension work

Most of the suspension parts I ordered towards the end of December have arrived. Strangely rear shocks made by Western Chassis are still back ordered... not a big deal. The front springs were the holdup. They arrived a week ago so with my schedule finally clear I got to do some work. The front spring perches needed quite a bit of clearing for the mono springs to fit. Here's a quick pic of where it's at. Most of today was spent bolting things together. The front disk brake kit is next.

Attachments

• IMG_0936.jpg
    IMG_0936.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 17
Like how you are going back to an inline 6 Klink. I have found myself with three SBC engined rats. I would gladly trade all of them for Chevy 250 sixes.

That was the plan, but two of the four machine shops I've contacted can't get all the parts needed and they don't want to start without all the parts, which I can appreciate. And both shops said if they had them it'd be a year before they could even start. The third shop took my info and basically said no thanks and the fourth may no longer have their 235 expert due to an accident... and they are a year behind as well.... so today I ordered a 383 from Blue Print Engines and they are 3-5 months out... which probably works well for me.

Got a little time in the shop tonight, my wife is out of town... so I pre-assembled the disk brakes... and I had to do a little grinding... all in all the kit fits pretty good.

Attachments

• IMG_0939.jpg
    IMG_0939.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0940.jpg
    IMG_0940.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0941.jpg
    IMG_0941.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 17
Newly assembled front end...

Had a pretty productive day in the shop. The front rotors and brakes are assembled. The steering arms have been modified to accept a tie rod end with a taper.... I ordered the tapered reamer last night around 10pm and it showed up today around noon... amazing. Still waiting on the new tie rod assembly though, for some reason I forgot to order it when I ordered the power steering kit. One of the holes on the steering box didn't land in a good spot on the frame so I made a spacer with an offset mounting hole. All in all I would say that the power steering kit and disk brake kit from Performance Online is pretty good. I had to remove some material on the calipers and the caliper brackets, not much though. I may need to add a little material to the over steer stops because the banjo fittings may touch the axle when fully turned... not sure yet.

Attachments

• IMG_0946.jpg
    IMG_0946.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0948.jpg
    IMG_0948.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0949.jpg
    IMG_0949.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0950.jpg
    IMG_0950.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 10
This is looking very sharp! I ordered a blueprint engine a while ago and it took 8 months to get it. Hopefully it's not that long of a wait for you. Keep us posted

All of your build looks great! I also hope you don't have any more delays on the motor. I went thru much the same problem with a motor ordered thru Jegs last year. It took a year or more just to get a motor built. Their answer was no blocks available to build...huh? I'm not sure how many sbc motors were produced since their entry on the market but I find it hard to believe there are no blocks available!

All of your build looks great! I also hope you don't have any more delays on the motor. I went thru much the same problem with a motor ordered thru Jegs last year. It took a year or more just to get a motor built. Their answer was no blocks available to build...huh? I'm not sure how many sbc motors were produced since their entry on the market but I find it hard to believe there are no blocks available!

I ordered cross members for the SBC and 700r4 but didn't order the "kit" because they were back ordered; they didn't have the mounts... I ordered the mounts from Summit...

I'm not sure how many sbc motors were produced since their entry on the market but I find it hard to believe there are no blocks available!

A friend, who owns a dirt modified) came by yesterday and picked up a 4 bolt main 350 block and mains. He said they are getting harder to find even the 2 bolts.
I can only imagine trying find enough blocks to mass produce rebuilds.

Spent about 5 hours in the shop today. I got a lot done but it doesn't look like it. I removed the original trans and bell housing cross members; 22 rivets. My goal was to remove them without destroying them, just in case their needed in the future. Next up is the master cylinder. Should get that started this week...

….Their answer was no blocks available to build...huh? I'm not sure how many sbc motors were produced since their entry on the market but I find it hard to believe there are no blocks available!

You have to remember, it’s probably been 20 years or longer since the last gen 1 small block Chevy was put in at the factory. Go to a junkyard, you’ll find some Gen 2 and a lot of LS engines, not to mention all kinds of 4 and 6 cylinders. The stuff we like is getting harder to find used. I have been sorta halfway looking for a late 90’s V8 Explorer or Crown Vic with the 5.0 302 roller cam motor, they are scarce as hen’s teeth around here anymore. I’d like to pick up a running, driving vehicle to strip for parts for the 82 F100 I have sitting in the woods, but all I’m finding are 4.6 mod motors, even if they have a motor. I spotted a big Mercury or Lincoln from the 70’s recently with a 460 in it, I may end up going that route if I can’t find a 302 .

You have to remember, it’s probably been 20 years or longer since the last gen 1 small block Chevy was put in at the factory.
There are plenty of companies making them though. For example Blueprint engines doesn't start with a rebuildable block. It's all new parts. There's plenty of sources for the parts, for examle, https://www.originengines.com/engines/5-7-liter

Well I suspect during the span of the last few years when scrap prices were high we lost more iron than I thought. Most of the scrap yards here that still had some vintage stuff scrapped all their stuff and closed down. We have a few left but it's very hard to find anything back in the 80s. Sorry state of affairs...

Moved the '53 to the shop today. Pulled the rear out; more work than I was expecting... always is. Everything came apart fairly easy. This rear was completely rebuilt about 15 years ago, I only put about 3000 miles on it but I'll still pop the rear cover off and have a look. It's a little wet around the lowest cover bolt but no drips. It also has some blow by mist around the vent and again no drips.

Attachments

• IMG_0958.jpg
    IMG_0958.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0959.jpg
    IMG_0959.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 36

Latest posts

Back