Rat rod JEEP's

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Found another pic of the other side. By the size of that pipe, I'd say it's a 12V-71 Detroit. :D

ratjeep.jpg

It is a Honda leaf blower. Some ricer kids use them to supercharge their Civics to get them over the 100hp mark![cl

Hello to all. Just an update of whats been going on with the old willys. Finaly got the proper windshield on it and I think i've stealed on the tire wheel thing?
If you wake up on the top side of the sod it's a good day.
see ya

Attachments

• Build 082.jpg
    Build 082.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 61
Hello to all. Just an update of whats been going on with the old willys. Finaly got the proper windshield on it and I think i've stealed on the tire wheel thing?
If you wake up on the top side of the sod it's a good day.
see ya

That thing is sweet!!! What kind of frame you got under that??

thanks "neverdone". it's the original 1945 willys some what modofied. Pinto front suspension with an 18" lengthing. stock rear springs moved from under the rails to the outside and a 62 galaxy 9" and short spacers. Quick steering at speed but it's pretty solid above the "Ton".

I need some help... I'm a JEEP guy to the bone... I LOVE the Willys trucks rat'd out... and there are a few sweet flatfenders out there... the red one posted above is coming along... and Soltz's looks cool (I admit I'm struggling with the IFS), but I've really only seen a few that seem to bridge the JEEP/Rat gap... then again who is to say what or when or IF there even is a gap... would a newer vintage work (there is a postal above also)??
Is there a limit on vintage (sorta like the S-10s guys have done... newer trucks with a vintage style)??
I saw a Tundra at SEMA a year or so ago the was kinda cool... too tall, but it had a murdered out rat look to it. I've seen a CJ-7 attempt and I think a Wrangler... is there a definite FAIL ! ?? I've wanted to give it a go, but other things are taking my time (& $$$) right now.
Just so everyone knows that I know that I really have NO room to criticize cause I don't have a build to post and I'm by no means trying to cap on any of these builds... I'm just struggling with what works & what doesn't. And as much as the rat rod vibe is a "what works for you" thing I think we all know there is a threshold where a fail is apparent... Like I said I'm just struggling...
I'll shut up & sorry for the length...

Thanks...
Curt

Hey Curt, you can check out my build for a Willys truck w/IFS.

MyWillysLarge.jpg

It's on a Chevy Luv chassis with torsion bar IFS so it is a little cleaner since there are no springs showing. It really does boil down to whatever works for you though I think. Most of the fails (in my opinion) I see are the open wheeled ones where the grille is way out in front of the wheels giving it a 'front heavy' look. In my defense I put the IFS under my Willys in 1983.......before everyone started saying 'dont do it' [ddd

OK, here my two cents. A "rod" wheather you call it hot or a rat is what the builder see's. Do some look better than others in the eye of the person that did not do the building, sure. (my wife is the most beatiful girl in the world, in my eyes yet other might not agree with me?).
The idea of a rod is that we all have our own idea of whats Kool. I wanted to build some thing born the same year i was, a roadster would be best, so the Willys was what I had to do. I looked at the start car for a long time until I could see what was at the end, looked at lots of picture along the way. I actually thought i have a novel idea before i goodled "jeep rod". Not a lot but there out there. Most people like how it ended up and thats cool, but what matters is that i like how it ended up. Most say the pinto front end is ugly? my thought was,, rack and pinyon steering, disc brakes, independent susp. and how may CJ's do you see with a pinto front end? (I interpet CJ and Crazy Jelopy).
Ok, i'll stop and by the way"snakefarm" i think your ride looks great, in my eyes.
Build whats in your minds eye, if you don't like what turned out just do it again
Just one more thing, i get asked a lot is it a rat rod or a hot rod? rats have patina as in rust, hot's have some kind of paint any paint, and hopfully no bondo on either in my opinion.
see ya. [P

Thanks for the thoughts... Snake's is cloaked well...
Soltz... I thought my wife is the most beatiful girl in the world... HA !!!
You've got to be one of only a VERY few if not the ONLY guy to put a Pinto IFS on a JEEP... again I'm not criticizing... just try'n to make sense in MY mind what works... whats a given fail and such.
Actually I'm over the hill from you Soltz, in the Coachella Valley.
I also don't see the IFS set up as a fail... see the Eights & Aces truck... [dr
I think I'd hide it more, if possible if I were to use it... actually I like the elliptical front springs...

Hopefully I'm not coming across wrong... at least y'all are build'n & drive'n them.

Curt

Latest posts

Back