cam ??

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yankee Transplant

He started out with nothing, he still has most of
Ok , fellas . Ive asked this before and got some good answers by a few fellas that seemed to know there stuff on cams . but I misplaced that imfo . so here I go again ,, I have a 305 chevy nothing special about it at all, everything is stock ... all I want to do is to put a cam that when at an idle it really thumps ... I dont want to race it I just want to hear it .. I know its only a 305 but it runs good and thats what I want in it :) I bought a cam from a man and We got it out of one of them racing parts book.. I dont remember what book either . but the book read , this is the biggest cam you can put in a stock engine without getting a stall converter , big springs studs , exc. , .. well I bought it and I am not happy one bit with it . Ive got a bigger cam in my 31 chevy and it thumps when it idles , but I have no clue on what it has in it .. it was put in over 25 years ago .. the number on the cam I bought is
ELGIN PRO STOCK
E-1065-P cam lift .305 int. .305 ext. valve lift .458 int. .458 ext.
.050 Dur. .218 int. .218 ext. lob. ctrs. 105 int 105 ext

this is what i read off the box the cam came in I am no mechanic Im a parts replacer .. can any one tell me how much bigger I can go and the number of the cam to order ? I think the last I had the timing was on 6 before t/d it ran the best there and Ive had it everywhere .

i took my heads off today and getting them re-done , valve guides are worn out . smoke when you start it up . I figure im this deep in to it , it will be a good time to swap out the cam .. you could move the valves a tad side to side , thats not good . I have a good friend that will take them to a machine shop in Montgomery (no charge ) for the trip as he will be going that way any how .. hopefully this will be my last time going in this engine ..

Smallfoots cam looks good. I ran a 272 in the 302 in my Maverick, it thumped pretty good. Anything from the 268 to 275 duration should do it. Just need to watch the total lift, not sure what you can get away with on the Chevy. Mine was 498/512 IIRC. If you go with a high lift, you probably want to check it with some clay or play dough to see how much clearance you have. I'd go with a good steel timing set, roller chain if you can afford it. The factory style nylon coated gears break down over time.

Is this the 305 in the Ford-o-let pickup?

If you're asking about mine bama, no it's in the motor that was used at first when I put it on the road. The crate I have right now in mine will get a cam change soon...I was just waiting to see how the crate worked with whatever they put in from the factory. It runs well but may be just a tad over carbed without a performance cam. Doesn't want to run well if you don't run it hard. Doesn't do anything but try to load up at idle or slow in town running....

Bama you are correct this is in the 97 F-150.... the engine swap went perfect . couldn't have asked for an easy-er swap , but I've cut corners on the engine, because it was (supposed) to be low miles on this engine. so I just freshed it up. (bearings , seals , rings timing set exc. ....... and have been paying for it ever since . The engine runs out grate but dont idle worth a crap it will just shut off like you chocked it down .. you have to have 2 feet to keep it running when you stop. maybe this head job will improve this [S

Rex I just saw that mother thumper advertised , but I dont know any thing about the numbers and what does what .. thats why I'm asking .. I done the same thing on my 351 W in my 65 ,, the sales man on the phone told me this will sound awesome !!!!!! well his awesome and mine are way !!!!!!!!!!!!! different .. but im leaving that one in and just drive it .

Latest posts

Back