2 piston master cylinder from Chevy PU

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lowtech

On ebay you can find a brake - clutch bracket to use an early 60 Chevy PU 2 cylinder common reservoir master cylinder as brakes and hydraulic clutch.

Anyone used this setup? Not common, so I'm thinking it might be marginal for brakes? It is a neat compact way to do it in a T bucket

LowTech

If you're talking about this thing, it's been popular for ages. I have no idea how effective it is for brakes...

s-l300.jpg

I used one in a '34 International Pick up Had drum brakes all around and a 250 Chevy six with a Saginaw 4 speed. Still on the road since 2008 with the same set up.

They used them on the 1960 Chevy pickup and they actually worked quite well.
Dodge also use the same type of master cylinder on their pickups in the 60's

International used them also. The Chevy units have the brake cylinder to the outside and the clutch to the inside. You must move the check valve in order to use the inside cylinder for the brakes. International master cylinders are set up right for hot rod use but they are hard to find. Rock Auto has the Chevy units.

The Chevy units have the brake cylinder to the outside and the clutch to the inside. You must move the check valve in order to use the inside cylinder for the brakes.

This.

Grind the "brake" and "clutch" castings off if you're easily confused, or leave them to confuse onlookers.

Also, they work great. As far as the bracketry, I can't speak to the eBay item. However I have used the Tardel swing-pedal setup it is copied from, and it worked out very well in a tight space.

I drove an old 61 or 62 Chevy pickup with that setup for a while, worked good with the drum brakes on it, would lock up the wheels if you needed to.

I've been running that exact master cylinder under the floor of my 27 for over 30 years. Works flawlessly and is very compact. Mine is turned around backwards but the clutch part works fine for the brakes and the brake part works fine for the hydraulic clutch setup.

I know some people feel you need one of the new style master cylinders that separate the front and rear brakes, but these are not cars where we drive them 30,000 miles a year. As long as you maintain your brakes and keep an eye on things, a single master cylinder is fine.

Latest posts

Back