Scored some new seats !

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donsrods

I have a 93 Fox Mustang that I am building to become my daily driver. The 351 roller cam motor is in the machine shop and is almost done, so I am about to start getting the body ready for paint.

It originally was a 4 cylinder car with not many miles, but since it is almost 20 years old the interior is a little aged. I plan on putting a 6 point cage in it, eliminating the back seat, but I want the front seats and dash to stay pretty stock. I was going to order an upholstery kit from one of the aftermarket companies and do the seats myself, but my Son Don saw a set of brand new Mustang seats in the same color I have on Craigslist for $ 150 for the pair.

Today I drove about 30 miles to the guys house and bought them, and they are absolutely in mint shape. The guy pulled them out of a brand new Mustang in 1987, covered them with plastic, and stored them all these years. :eek: There is no damage, dust, or anything on them and this will save me so much work recovering my old ones. :D

mustangseats.jpg

Don

Nice score Don....even if they are for a Rustang...Uh....I mean Mustang :D. Seriously though, you can't beat that kind of rare find. As an unrelated side note, you might remember this being a Florida guy. For a while back in the 80's (or was it the early 90's[S), FHP was using notchback Mustangs as pursuit vehicles. You could pick them up cheap at auctions. Here, quite a few local fellows were picking them up up at auctions because they were fast, light, and cheap. Then they made the appropriate mods from there and had some fast street cars for a decent investment.

Last edited:
Yep, Bill, there are a few of those ex cop car Mustangs still running around here. For some reason, they fetch big money these days. I just saw one for sale somewhere and although I can't recall all the details I was shocked at the price.

In the late 80's I was in a Ford dealership having some work done on my daily driver and there was a cop Mustang sitting there with the motor torn down. I asked the mechanic what he was doing to it and he said the cop was having a hotter roller cam installed and some "extras" installed to make it even faster ! :eek: I guess they wanted to keep up with some of the hotter cars the civilians were running around in.

I'm pretty stoked about those seats. The reupholstery covers cost more than the $ 150 I paid for the two seats. I didn't even dicker with the guy when I saw the condition, even the metal framework has the original black paint on them so all I have to do is bolt them in and go.

Don

Hey Don you got a picture of your stang that you can upload...I've been thinking about buying
one to horse around with.

-Troy

Last edited:
I'll take some pictures as soon as I get it uncovered. It's sitting in our parking lot now and I am going to move it into the shop as soon as I can make some room. Right now it is just a plain Jane blue ex four cylinder car, but that is what I wanted to start with. The four cylinders aren't beat on as bad as the 5.0 cars and the torque boxes are usually mint instead of beat to death.

Dan and I are going to go to the Mustang Nationals March 2nd, and there are always vendors there selling Mustang parts. I am looking for a 3 or 4 inch cowl induction hood to clear the 351 and Performer RPM intake my Son Don bought me for Christmas. There are always deals there on used stuff too.

I lucked into this Mustang because I gave Don the machined 460 Ford motor I had sitting around for the past 7 years or so plus a Jackson Racing C6 trans. He is building an 84 Capri with that setup and in return he gave me this Mustang that he bought a while ago. It is pretty much a solid, unmolested Mustang that should clean up pretty well. I've been wanting to build something fun to drive on a daily basis.

Don

Latest posts

Back