67 impala SS with three on tree?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

21willys

A friend of mine over seas is looking at buying this impala. It's advertised as a SS. I don't know anything about these cars. Did they ever make a SS with a three on the tree? Says it has a 350 engine.

I have read that you could get the SS package on anything back then, 2 door, wagon, hardtop, sedan, 8 cyl or 6 cyl, didn't matter. I saw a SS Chevelle a while back with a bench seat and auto on the column , supposedly a factory car, so I'd say if it is a 3 on the tree SS, it's probably a rare bird, but not impossible.

Did they ever make a SS with a three on the tree? Says it has a 350 engine.

Not likely. In '67, the 350 was not available in the Impala, nor three on the tree to my knowledge. (I owned a '67 Impala SS for 22 years and never saw one without buckets, console and floor shift, regardless the motor/trans combo.)

I'd have your friend check the body ID plate on the passenger's side firewall. It should tell the tale, though the info may only relate to cars built on this continent. (Model 167-16887 depicts SS sports coupe, any number otherwise is not an SS, besides the convertible which is model 167-16867.)

All that said, I'd be interested in what your friend finds... pictures, numbers, anything at all...

The 350 was probably swapped in later, since they didn't come out with them until what, 1970? And then again, to some people, every first gen Chevy V8 is a 350 because they all pretty much look alike!

My mistake... the tag is on the driver's side firewall. (Red face.:eek:)

VIN doesn't tell much, 21. The body tag lends more and that info will narrow it down considerably...

The first 350s were in the 67 Camaros only as an option. I had one, not the Camaro but the motor in a ragged T bucket in the 80,s.

0BE1ED94-C951-4CA9-B95A-9927A653DE61-4317-000001C8998EF379_zps0b0f994c.jpg

I didn't get a pic of the vin, just the body tag.... At 4 am lol

When we were in high school a friends brother had a 65 Ford two door hard top with a 390 and three on the tree. It was pretty dang fast.

Decode:

05B - 2nd week of May

67-16887 - SS sport coupe

Jan-7137 - built in Janesville WI - sequence #

813-B - Trim - Black - bucket seat

N-N Upper and lower body paint colors - Madeira Maroon/Madeira Maroon

Unfortunately, there's no accessory/option codes on this tag... some have 'em, some don't...

It would be my humble opinion, the bucket seats make the "tree-speed" unlikely... if you see this car again, take some interior pics, will ya?

I have a picture of the interior. My photo bucket won't work for some reason tho. It does have bucket seats with a console and column shift.

Thanks for the info.

Latest posts

Back