Rat Rods Rule / Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Rat Rods Rule / Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Flatheads: 4 - 6 - 8 - 12 bangers!

Flatheads: 4 - 6 - 8 - 12 bangers! Flattie Talk - Q&A! Dude... that's a funny lookin' engine!

Old 11-29-2015, 12:11 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21willys View Post
I kept waiting for him to catch a rod with his face, had to settle for a belt to the hand tho.
Yeah--me too. I'd like to see that for real. I've built a couple turbo motors, and things will go bad REAL fast. I'm kinda suspicious the thing was way over carbed, and it was falling on its face and flooding out. I blew up a 5.0 twin turbo ford and it went from predetonation to a messy pile of parts in a fraction of a second. I do like what the guy did though and would replicate his work, but would downsize the carburation and look real hard at the turbo size. I have a draw through system from a SBC bob truck that has a very large turbo that makes great torque at 3500, but the boost gets too big past that. Great for towing, and makes a super muffler, and looks interesting. Needs some sort of rev limiter. I wonder if the guys still messing with it.

r
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 556948_177933429002853_1983812726_n.jpg (183.1 KB, 14 views)
Old 11-29-2015, 06:08 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

PA41; I wasn't trying to discourage you. I like different and odd also. That is why we are all hanging out here isn't it?. If you want to come to Rhode Island or can talk someone into it I will give you the one in my parts machine.
Old 11-30-2015, 08:34 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA41 View Post
There's a group called the Flat Earth Society. They suspend reality (on purpose) and live in their own weird little world. I think guys that run flat head motors might live in the same neighborhood. The guy in the corner of the room dancing by himself when there ain't no music playing. The guy on the 3 wheel bicycle with whip antennas and streamers coming out of the handgrips that waves at everyone and smiles. The guy that picks up aluminum cans along the highway. The guy that throws aluminum cans out of his truck to support him (a community service). The guy that spends 10-15 K$ building a Ford flat head with a blower. I'd like to see that supercharged Red Seal, or even better do it.. Weird is interesting.
PA .. not sure to be honored or insulted by you statement above but I have 6 flattys in my shop and do not have 2 grand in all of them [ all run ]
.......come to think of it I am genuinely flattered by your observations ..

http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30537 1966 truck build .. STILL working on the knowledge to make it work ..

http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=322801953 Chevy one ton Panel restored

https://www.facebook.com/stopmichigan.rinos
Old 12-01-2015, 03:09 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddRodsGarage View Post
PA .. not sure to be honored or insulted by you statement above but I have 6 flattys in my shop and do not have 2 grand in all of them [ all run ]
.......come to think of it I am genuinely flattered by your observations ..
I'm mostly describing myself--(except for the blower on a flathead Ford), so its all flattery.
Old 12-01-2015, 11:40 PM
"There’s nothing new in originality"

This summer put a crank and new lower end bearings in my sons SA200/
Continental F162,The only real issue was the end play shims for the crank,was a little tricky.

'53 Build Link

"Its a catastrophic success"
Old 12-02-2015, 10:42 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakysnake View Post
This summer put a crank and new lower end bearings in my sons SA200/
Continental F162,The only real issue was the end play shims for the crank,was a little tricky.
What's the application for the engine ? From your experience, do you think it would run a speedster?
Old 12-04-2015, 10:58 AM
"There’s nothing new in originality"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA41 View Post
What's the application for the engine ? From your experience, do you think it would run a speedster?
This was in a 1960 lincoln red face welder. They're pretty tough little motors.
I know 8&9N tractors run a similar motor and rated about 25hp

'53 Build Link

"Its a catastrophic success"
Old 12-04-2015, 04:48 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

The CJ2A I had would do a smoking 45mph(real deep geared), the 36 hp 1100cc 50s VW I had would not hit 55 (needed rings) and the 49 chevy 216 I drove of and on in high school, claimed 60 hp and would run about 60--but it was heavy. So in an ultra lite 1600 pound single seat speedster running a 25 hp L4 continental with 'hi way' gearing, you probably might hit 60 on a cool night with a tail wind, and couldn't get much of a ticket.
Old 12-04-2015, 05:11 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

You may be surprised at the power you can get out of one with a little work. The 6 cylinder was supposed to have 71 hp if memory serves. I also don't think that the stock compression was very high so with a little head shaving and a decent intake with down draft carb(s) and a free flowing exhaust you shoulud do ok.
Old 12-05-2015, 09:09 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny c View Post
You may be surprised at the power you can get out of one with a little work. The 6 cylinder was supposed to have 71 hp if memory serves. I also don't think that the stock compression was very high so with a little head shaving and a decent intake with down draft carb(s) and a free flowing exhaust you shoulud do ok.
Yeah, that's true, the compression on flat heads can be real low. I was tinkering with an old tractor a few years back, and replaced the head (had a crack), and the tractor really ran great. Turned out it had a tractor fuel (kerosene) head that was 4-5 to 1 compression, and I accidently replaced it with a gasoline head. Rather be lucky than smart? Also I think fuel quality in the old days was real irregular and they designed the engines to run off the worst by lowering the compression. I bet the CJ I owned was one of the low compression 'multi fuel' wheezer motors. I put pistons and rings in it but didn't consider the compression. Cool old CJ--wish I'd have kept it. Found a pic of it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00003.JPG (103.0 KB, 9 views)