'34 Dodge Brothers, double build.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Motivation, ha!
I took the raggedy '34 Dodge Brothers grille and the beat-up '33 Plymouth grille and fixed up a ratrod grille that's 2" too short.

Attachments

• IMG_2239.jpg
    IMG_2239.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2237.jpg
    IMG_2237.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2260.jpg
    IMG_2260.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_2261.jpg
    IMG_2261.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 35
There will be a little bit of the top header plate peaking out under the grille shell, and quite a bit of the bottom header showing too. It will take me too long to make a Dodge Brothers grille for this play. Pictures to come later.

Here is the picture of the short grille in the Dodge Brothers grille-shell.
The grille is not only too short, it is also a wee bit too wide.
Any how, I always wanted to make a grille, so now I get my chance when I convert this truck to a ratrod.
The Grapes of Wrath Lady is coming out on Monday to inspect my progress, and introduce me to the boss man.

Attachments

• IMG_2262.jpg
    IMG_2262.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 141
I cut it three times and it’s still too short! :D[ddd
Like Dr C said, should be close enough for stage work. Most of those folks won’t even notice the truck, they’ll be watching the actors.

I started painting my wheels with a flat off-white, removable coating. It goes on pretty shiny, and not too white, first picture, but dries fairly dull, picture two. The grille is now bolted in and repainted a flat reddish light brown, picture three. Picture four is the red copper that I had painted the wheels.
The Grapes of Wrath people came today and inspected my progress. They were really happy with the truck, and I was happy with them, so the meeting was a success.

Attachments

• IMG_2264.jpg
    IMG_2264.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_2263.jpg
    IMG_2263.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_2265.jpg
    IMG_2265.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1593.jpg
    IMG_1593.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 32
Thanks Dozer, it was more fiddling around than I thought.
You know how you guys sometimes say, "pictures or it didn't happen", well, these pictures aren't going to be enough, I'll have to tell you the story too.

The pictures shows the '34 up at the front of the shop. That's a long, long way from the back of the shop surrounded by years of stuff. I pumped up the tires that would hold air and weren't that scary, put one wire wheel on, and pulled the truck with a garden tractor, out from between two other cars, on a twisted route up under the raised hoist. Then I dragged the back of the truck sideways on a floor jack and lined it up under the hoist and pulled it the rest of the way out from under the car lift. Now I'll wash it and push it back onto the lowered car hoist and take the motor and transmission out.

Attachments

• IMG_2266.jpg
    IMG_2266.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_2268.jpg
    IMG_2268.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 41

Latest posts

Back