Another thoughts and prayers thread, this time for me

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Home, finally! Got here last night, more dead than alive. They called in a respiratory DR, he did another CT, kept me on oxy, upped the antibiotics, and drained every bit of energy I had. Last night, he came in, said he saw no blood clot, I did have pneumonia, did not have covid, didn't even see covid antibodies ? Yet I was told by two other DR's that I definitely had it last year. Who to believe? Whatever, I'm home now!

All this started with a sharp pain in my right chest. Went to Emergercare, got checked out, Dr wanted a chest xray because my lungs sounded colluded. Went over to the local band aid station disguised as a community hospital and got that done. About as soon as I got done, wife called squalling saying they were fixing to transfer me to Tuscaloosa for a blood clot they thought they saw on my xray, She knew it before I did! So, off to the ER I go to wait on an ambulance transfer. And wait I did, over 4 hours! I was po'ed, no sense in it taking that long. Later I found out they only have two ambulances on duty, and transfers are lower priority. If I had been real serious they would have had to airlift me. Finally got to Tuscaloosa ER, waited 45 mins on a room that was supposed to ready before I got there. In the meantime, got covid swabbed again, again negative.

First night wasn't bad. Next day they got serious, IV's, blood samples, etc. Slept very little due to them checking me every 30 minutes. Third day , I was tired, napped a little during the day. That night though, was living HELL!!! When I closed my eyes, I started getting wild, crazy hallucinations. Open my eyes, they'd stop for a while, then I'd see them eyes open and shut both. Crazy stuff that would morph into other unworldly things. Once, I was lying there, eyes open looking at black scratch mark on the wall, when suddenly it opened up and a big brindle house cat came through the wall and jumped on the bed into my lap! I actually felt it's weight when it landed on me! I threw my arm to shield my face and it vanished! A while later, I felt something in my left hand, I had it down by my side as it had the IV in it. I felt it a few seconds, ran my fingers over it, it was my phone. Only problem, my phone was to my right on the table, and when I raised my left hand up, there was nothing in it! Weird I tell ya! I stayed awake ALL NIGHT!

Next day, another covid test, positive this time. They yanked me up and transferred me to the covid ward. When I got in the room, first thing I saw was a huge flex hose going out a blacked out window. I joked, what was that, a Homer Simpson AC unit. Nurse Kratchen snapped back it was a special air filter. My nurses on 2nd floor were great, 5th floor I was soon to find out were mostly crabby unfriendly people that seldom spoke. Then the poking and prodding got serious . I bet they got a gallon of my blood. Next morning, another covid test, negative again. WTF?

As the days wore on, I was getting weaker and weaker. Food was awful junk I wouldn't feed a dog. Didn't matter much, by then my mouth had gotten so sore I could barely eat anyway. Two more days passed, I was so weak I could hardly walk to the bathroom. Oh, did I say I had only had one shower in all this time? I was miserable. Days were fair, nights mostly sleepless except for a few hours, even after they finally started giving me zanax. Yesterday, after another xray, Dr finally came in and said we're sending you home. Said all they found was the pneumonia, sent some scripts to the drug store, told me to schedule a office visit in two weeks. I was glad to get outta there!

About the best thing has been they put me on a nicotine patch, I haven't smoked in 8 days now, maybe I can actually quit this time. Thanks for the thoughts and prayers, without them I wouldn't have made it.

Glad to here you're home.[cl[cl[cl Some of the hallucinations may have been from withdrawal from the cigarettes. Still they suck. Why anyone would purposely do drugs to make that happen is beyond me. Get plenty of rest. We need you around here.

Glad to hear that you are home Bama, but that sounds like an aweful ordeal in the hospital. Get some rest and keep us posted on how you are feeling.

Latest posts

Back