Welder status

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gonegonzo

I have a 110volt Hobart Handler and running .030'' wire with gas .

I'm Zing the frame on my 50 Chevy truck and welding it with the Hobart . I'm getting 100% penetration with the welds .

OK , here's the problem : My son (38yrs old) came in on the project and started ranting about the welder no being capable of this type of work . He claims that it should be welded with either an arch welder or a 220 mig machine .

Am I in danger here of weld failure because of this portable welder ?

Thx
Gonzo

Maybe..... just having 100 percent penetration does not make a great weld. If it is cold, it is the weld just laying between two pieces of metal. Can it be done? Yes, but it is probably a borderline job for a 110 welder. What is the thickness of the frame? Stock frame? Pictures would be great.

If you know your welds are penetrating then you are ok. I did my frame with a gas 110 welder. On thicker steel you might have to build up some heat. People also crap talked my welder. If you wanna be totally sure you can bevel the spot your gonna weld to assure penetration.

I do bevel my welding areas .

The metal is 1/8th thick .

Would I be wise to pre heat ?

Gonzo

Tell your son to buy you a new 220 for Christmas, or kiss off, or you've forgotten more than he will ever know.

Ive built three cars with my 110 volt Lincoln no gas, frame, suspension, steering and drive the crap out of them and i'm still alive, it's not so much the machine as it is the welder [;) [cl

can you clear up the 110 volt....

is that the U.S. supply voltage you mean or the machine is a 110 amp unit

.030 is .06mm with bevelled edges and a 25thou (1mm) gap between materials .. personally wouldn't go smaller than 140amp machine.

if your shielding gas is CO2, then consider a heater on you regulator for lower amp welding.
CO2 liquefies under compression at about -31F or -35 c. so out of the cylinder the gas is not ambient air temperature. and will substantially cool your weld.

Wall socket, machine plug need to be as close, an extension cord will reduce input voltage over longer lengths. although not much ..

BEST to get some scrap of the same size, run a weld THen hacksaw through the weld . You will be able to see what penetration you have ..

also finished weld bead should sit more flush than raised ...

just thinking
crate..

Maybe..... just having 100 percent penetration does not make a great weld. If it is cold, it is the weld just laying between two pieces of metal. Can it be done? Yes, but it is probably a borderline job for a 110 welder. What is the thickness of the frame? Stock frame? Pictures would be great.

I might add, Bonehead is a professional welder!

Zipper

You could perform open heart surgery with a steak knife.

An excellent doctor could maybe even do it successfully.

But is it really the best way to go? Would you want your heart to be the test subject? What about someone you love?

Of course some guy on the internet will tell you he has performed hundreds of said steak knife-surgeries without a hitch and he doesn't understand why you are even concerned and you should already be sawing away.

Bottom line - Use the right tools for the job. Your life, or more importantly someone else's may hang in the balance. Chassis modifications are no place to cheap out.

Tack everything up and then use a proper welder. If you can't afford to buy then have all your prep work done a rent a 220V machine for a day or two.

I personally wouldn't feel safe driving around in a car that had it's frame welded with a 110v machine! It may hold together under normal circumstances but what would happen if you were in a wreck or hit a deer or something in the road? I just saw a photo of a minor car wreck where the hot rod's engine and front end separated from the car! Scary! Can it be done? Yeah probably but is it worth risking your life and others to take that chance? Not me!

Beercan

Latest posts

Back