New Member - RRBIED

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RRBIED

Hello all!

New member for a tiny bit of time now. Found this website by searching for tips, tricks, builds, faq's and diy's. Decided to join because this forum rocks!

I recently got in to the 4 wheeled vehicle scene, as in a month ago, because I decided I wanted something cool and manly to drive. I have owned a Honda civic for most of my time driving, and have had 3 sport bikes. I sold one of those 3 just recently. So I was down to my civic and FZ-09.

Decided I wanted something manly, googled hot rods, and I caught the sight of a rat rod. A quick google later, and voila! Here I am today.

So for where I am right now...

I was given (free!) a 4 bolt main 350 sbc that was 90 percent torn down but all there. Tore it apart, learned about the parts and pieces as I went, and am now about to start a "stock" rebuild in my spare time.

Decided I was gonna commit and actually build a truck. Started my hunt for a body. After many junk yard searches, and people wanting WAY too much for their rusty buckets, I came across a house tucked away from the city that had a bunch of old vehicles out back. I spotted a truck with a familiar small cab and decided, "what the hell, I'll go knock on the door." Turns out that truck was a 39 chevy one ton with cab, doors, 2 grilles, and full rolling chassis. I told the owner what I was doin, which happened to be what he was gonna do with it, and we started talkin up a deal. 2 days later, he delivered it all to me on a flat bed trailer for 750 cash. Needless to say, I was feelin pretty good about this idea of mine transforming from thought to truck.

Traded off one of my sportbikes that was not running for 300 cash and an 82 Z28 Camaro (that I now know needs a decent amount of work).

So! Within about one month, I have only spent 305 dollars of my own money, I own the truck I wanna build, a pretty decent motor to rebuild for it, and a Camaro that I am currently trying to sell/trade for the rest of my build, or maybe use as a donor car.

About me: Southern roots tied to Georgia, currently stationed out west with the Air Force. EOD Tech (insert B.S. 'Hurt Locker' reference). RRBIED stands for Rat Rod Borne Improvised Explosive Device (IED), a little spin on a VBIED, vehicle borne IED. I know next to nothing about cars/trucks. Literally learning every little thing as I go with my project.

Anyway, if you have taken the time to read this, THANKS!! I know it was long (journalism tendencies...). Lookin forward to being a member!

Attachments

• 20151015_192115.jpg
    20151015_192115.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 20151015_192134.jpg
    20151015_192134.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 20151015_192102.jpg
    20151015_192102.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 20151013_194136.jpg
    20151013_194136.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 20151013_194020.jpg
    20151013_194020.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 20151013_194010.jpg
    20151013_194010.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 13
Let me be the first to welcome you to the site.
You have embarked on a journey that will be exciting, frustrating and an all out ball.
You've came to the right place to receive a tremendous amount of help from a tremendously talented bunch of builders.
Start a build thread so we can follow along.
What you have looks like a great start.

Welcome from Flawda...looks like a nice starter and the guys are right. Lots of talent here in both builds and useable ideas.

Welcome from SoCal, what part of out west are you. [S
Lots of knowledge, ideas, opinions around here for ever thing in the world. [cl
I'll go back to your build thread and give you my two cents worth.
Have fun with what ever you do, it's all good. [;)
Thanks for the service, been there done that.

Thank you for the warm welcome!

As for titling, does already having the title in my name for the 39 not help?

For security reasons I'd rather not say which base I'm actually at. If later on down the road someone figures it out, that's one thing. Hopefully yall can respect that, which I'm sure yall will.

It's All Good

Thank you for the warm welcome!

As for titling, does already having the title in my name for the 39 not help?

For security reasons I'd rather not say which base I'm actually at. If later on down the road someone figures it out, that's one thing. Hopefully yall can respect that, which I'm sure yall will.

Had a tsc at one time :D

Latest posts

Back