My 40 Dodge Truck Build - Maybe a 41 LOL

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your work looks great! Only have time to look at the last couple of pages will look thru whole thread soon. Good inspiration from your build as we are in about the same place only you move much faster !

Thanks ZZ that means alot to me.

Speaking of inspiration you and the rest of the guys here inspire me and keep me on the right track. Like I've said before without you guys along with another fellow, Gene on Killbillet.....I could never get thru this. So I'm very appreciative.

I wish we were all closer or maybe one day get to go to some out of state show so I can meet all you guys.

As far as the faster goes.... everything else here is turning to ****. LOL
I didn't do the fall leaf cleanup and paid a contractor to do my roof cause I have tunnel vision on the project. I'm not a good sleeper so am in the garage pretty much every night till 1 - 2:00 am.
I'm also fighting the clock on the need for shoulder replacements so I'm pushing forward.

Happy New Year!

Coup, yes would be a real treat at some point to get together! Count us in.

Sure understand your shoulder situation. Your doing a great job with the circumstances you have. You truly are a one armed wallpaper hanger!

Coup, yes would be a real treat at some point to get together! Count us in.

Sure understand your shoulder situation. Your doing a great job with the circumstances you have. You truly are a one armed wallpaper hanger!

Thanks Dozer.... yes I hope we can pull something together. One armed wallpaper hanger forgot that term.... the shoe fits!

Made some nice progress on the trans / drive line tunnel. Made it in 2 pieces and it's going to bolt in. The firewall transition piece is welded in and there's a rear transition piece welded into the cab c-notch. You'll see the screws. I have to add the angle to the bottom passenger side, slit the spot by the shifter and bend it up.

When I have the carpet made I'm going to have it made in 2 pieces with some edging sewn in. I'd like to have the tunnel cover done in leather to match the seats and I'll have that form fit and held in with snaps.

It would have been easier to weld it in but I have that "dam I shoulda bolted it in running around my OCD head. So if I got to take it out I can.

Attachments

• DSCF5689.jpg
    DSCF5689.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCF5691.jpg
    DSCF5691.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 19
Nice work on that tunnel Coup. Murphy's law says that if you make it removeable, you'll never have to. On the flipside, if you don't...

Finished up the drive line tunnel today along with the floor framing on the driver side. It's no where near seat or interior time but to complete the driver side floor framing and before I can skin it I had to make the bucket seat stand. I picked up what they tell me is a set of Chevelle bucket seats at great deal. The frames and seat suspension is in great condition but the coverings are shot. Makes no difference to me because the truck is going to get a very custom leather interior and the seats will be re-done. The seat looks high but it puts my big nose dead center of that chopped windshield. I will close in the area under the seats for storage since storage compartments will be scarce.

That cool brown interior is pinned up on my wall and that's what i'm going to model my interior after.

You guys gave me a bum steer

Nobody told me I had to leave some room for a steering column.... gee wiz.

This going to take some doing..... To get the collumn out of the way of my pedals it's going to have to go thru the firewall on the high side. It also seems that it will have to be higher on the dash, cutting into the cutout for my speedo which is no big deal. I can put the speedo in the middle of the dash or make a the panel higher on the dash.

It'll also be a little off center which I can also deal with.

The problem is where it will exit my firewall.... right on the corner of my valve cover. See the magic star in picture. I'm going to have to use one of those chain driven offset deals. My head is only about 3/4" off my firewall so it will have to be grafted into the firewall or mounted inside the firewall.

I'm for sure going to have to build my own headers to work around all this. Speaking of headers, I did order and receive the headers from hot heads.... they are a no go, they end up in bad spot on the cab...

A guy on FB reworked this set for a BBC and they looked pretty good. Port spacing is very close. https://www.amazon.com/Patriot-Exhaust-H8005-Roadster-Weld-Up/dp/B0050SKT4E I'll attach a picture of the set he built

I ordered a set of welded flanges from Hot Head ad will order that patriot kit tomorrow.

I'm all ears if you guys have any ideas.

Thanks

There is a lot of stuff that has to share the little bit of room on the drivers side, it can make for some sleep less nights of imagineering. [P[P

Nobody told me I had to leave some room for a steering column.... gee wiz.

This going to take some doing..... To get the collumn out of the way of my pedals it's going to have to go thru the firewall on the high side. It also seems that it will have to be higher on the dash, cutting into the cutout for my speedo which is no big deal. I can put the speedo in the middle of the dash or make a the panel higher on the dash.

It'll also be a little off center which I can also deal with.

The problem is where it will exit my firewall.... right on the corner of my valve cover. See the magic star in picture. I'm going to have to use one of those chain driven offset deals. My head is only about 3/4" off my firewall so it will have to be grafted into the firewall or mounted inside the firewall.

I'm for sure going to have to build my own headers to work around all this. Speaking of headers, I did order and receive the headers from hot heads.... they are a no go, they end up in bad spot on the cab...

A guy on FB reworked this set for a BBC and they looked pretty good. Port spacing is very close. https://www.amazon.com/Patriot-Exhaust-H8005-Roadster-Weld-Up/dp/B0050SKT4E I'll attach a picture of the set he built

I ordered a set of welded flanges from Hot Head ad will order that patriot kit tomorrow.

I'm all ears if you guys have any ideas.

Thanks

BTW.... that bum steer was a joke. sounded serious when i re read it this morning

Steering column coming out right against the engine head is often a problem. On my last Packard, even with a skinny SB Ford engine, it was close. On my Gasser project, the BB Chev will have the same issue as you are having, so I will be using a Steer Clear unit to get around it, an 8" or 10" offset which I'll mount inside, then the steering shaft will have a straight shot to the box without using a center u-joint and steady bearing. Nothing worse than having the column mounted too low in the firewall, getting in the way of pedals and your feet.

Yes....other item to figure out. That's ok, sharpening my brain before I fall victim to alzheimers. I think I'm good with the steer away. I'll need a fairly long one to get me at center line of the frame.

I picked up the Saturn electric assist steering column today 100.00 removed. This will be my next project. I'll bounce between slinging some mud on the bed and the steering column.

Keep you posted!

Stripped down the Saturn steering column today down to the bare bones unit.

Removed the Control box from it's mount on the column and extended the wires with a plug. I used a flat trailer connector. It was going to be in the way of the dash / firewall brace and I didn't want to cut the brace. I used the plug cause it's going to take a good amount of in & out and bracket fabrication and I didn't want to have the box hanging from the wires.

To get the angle and steering wheel placement I needed to pop a hole in the dash just under the speedo hole.

I really want a minimum of electronics in here but my shoulders are shot and i didn't plan for conventional power steering so I believe this will be a good option for me. I'm glad Turbo shared his KB thread with me. Good looking out!

I need to choose and order the steer away and get a u joint before I build any bracketry so I have the spacing right. I'm going to mount the steer away inside because I have no room between my engine and the firewall. I need to check the maximum angle allowed on the joint as well.

Attachments

• DSCF5710.jpg
    DSCF5710.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 18
  • DSCF5714.jpg
    DSCF5714.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCF5713.jpg
    DSCF5713.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 19

Latest posts

Back