A Hupmobile ???

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Making Parts

The roadster will have coil springs in the rear. To that end I made up these trailing arms. Thick wall tubing with a backbone stiffener. Also made the perches for the rear end. Made the rod ends years ago for another project. I've got some coil overs I could use but they violate the "all old parts" approach. We used to use Corvair front coils which were the right spring rate. But Rockauto has none. Might take a chance and buy a pair of Chevette rear coils. They should be soft enough,

Attachments

• T Bars 001.jpg
    T Bars 001.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 26
  • T Bars 003.jpg
    T Bars 003.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 27
  • T Bars 002.jpg
    T Bars 002.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 27
Pics for the previous post. Still not accepting my pics. Same security token missing notification.
I just switched from Internet Explorer to Google with the same result. Help???

That happened to me a few days ago. When trying a second time I saw that the three pics were not reduced to acceptable size. I resized them and it worked. Coincidence? (Gibbs doesn't believe in them... ) :D

Cold in the Garage

Still picking away at it. Been below zero most days so the garage is a bit cool.
First two pics show the trailing arm mocked up. I wanted to use the original forgings for the front mounts but they were too wallowed out. I found the gold mounts in my stack of stuff.
The next two pics show how I'll mount the coil springs to the rear axle. I've ordered some shorter, wider springs with a 125 lb. spring rate. I couldn't find 4" O.D. springs anywhere. Will require some mods to the chrome lower mounts for the larger springs. I did make an inch and a half height adjustment in the mounts.
Will probably have to "C" notch the frame.

Attachments

• Rear susp 001.jpg
    Rear susp 001.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 26
  • Rear susp 002.jpg
    Rear susp 002.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 25
  • Rear susp 003.jpg
    Rear susp 003.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 24
  • Rear susp 004.jpg
    Rear susp 004.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Still picking away at it. Been below zero most days so the garage is a bit cool.
First two pics show the trailing arm mocked up. I wanted to use the original forgings for the front mounts but they were too wallowed out. I found the gold mounts in my stack of stuff.
The next two pics show how I'll mount the coil springs to the rear axle. I've ordered some shorter, wider springs with a 125 lb. spring rate. I couldn't find 4" O.D. springs anywhere. Will require some mods to the chrome lower mounts for the larger springs. I did make an inch and a half height adjustment in the mounts.
Will probably have to "C" notch the frame.

Looking good Bob!

I have a gas furnace in my new big garage. It's always about 53°F in there. About the perfect temperature to wear an insulated sweater and work. If I'm painting or something I turn it up a bit more. A heated space to park/work in is pretty much a necessity in Alberta, now that I have one I couldn't go back.

Yes, snopro, I have a hanging gas furnace and I keep I around the same temp as you. But sometimes these old bones are reluctant to get started.

Made the front mounts for the trailing arms. Had to keep the arms level at ride height, so the coil springs will be vertical, and that made using the prefab mounts hard to use. So I welded thick wall tubing with a 5/8" i.d. to the bottom of the frame. There's a piece of 1/4" flat stock on the inside tied to the top of the frame. A long bolt goes through it all. I realize it is in single shear right now but I'm considering how to remedy that. Maybe a crossmember will find its way to that location.

Attachments

• Front Mount 004.jpg
    Front Mount 004.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 19
  • Front Mount 005.jpg
    Front Mount 005.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 17
  • Front Mount 003.jpg
    Front Mount 003.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 18
  • Front Mount 001.jpg
    Front Mount 001.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 16
  • Front Mount 002.jpg
    Front Mount 002.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 17
Pulled the empty block and heads out of the Renault and jerked the Powerglide off of it. Bolted up a 350TH trans and set it in place in the Hup frame. Will probably slide it forward an inch or two and drop the front of the engine an inch or two. Those are the Renault motor mounts on it. Ordered some stock Chevy motor mounts Not sure if I'll use them on this build.

Attachments

• engine in 001.jpg
    engine in 001.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 28
  • engine in 002.jpg
    engine in 002.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 29
Little at a time will get it done [cl
I here you about cold bones. I have two double head portable heaters that won’t quite warm this big ass shop warm enough :(
Thinking about a big hanging furnace for mine.[S

Little at a time will get it done [cl
I here you about cold bones. I have two double head portable heaters that won’t quite warm this big ass shop warm enough :(
Thinking about a big hanging furnace for mine.[S

If you're talking about the kind I think you are those things are excellent. Had them in an export crating whse I worked in out of high school. Keep us warm as toast.

Would probably worth the money for as much time as you like to spend out there. [;)

Nice Bob! Are you going to box the frame in at all?
This is a deep chested frame, couper. I'll only box it in high stress areas.

Spent a lot of time with my trusty angle grinder and a cut off wheel. All out of 1/8" plate. Circles for the lower mounts, to fit the larger 5" diameter springs. 4" o.d. tube to center the springs, Boxing plates where the upper mounts will attach to the frame. Upper mounts with more centering tube. And yes, there will be gussets.
Editorial comment: In the Poetry Thread smallfoot said that I build mainly to build. Exactly right. That means what I show on my build threads isn't the best, the strongest or the most attractive way to do things. I do it my way to use available materials, my limited tool selection and my diminishing capabilities. Main thing, I have fun.

Attachments

• Rear Spring Mounts 001.jpg
    Rear Spring Mounts 001.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 24
  • Rear Spring Mounts 002.jpg
    Rear Spring Mounts 002.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 23
This is a deep chested frame, couper. I'll only box it in high stress areas.

Spent a lot of time with my trusty angle grinder and a cut off wheel. All out of 1/8" plate. Circles for the lower mounts, to fit the larger 5" diameter springs. 4" o.d. tube to center the springs, Boxing plates where the upper mounts will attach to the frame. Upper mounts with more centering tube. And yes, there will be gussets.
Editorial comment: In the Poetry Thread smallfoot said that I build mainly to build. Exactly right. That means what I show on my build threads isn't the best, the strongest or the most attractive way to do things. I do it my way to use available materials, my limited tool selection and my diminishing capabilities. Main thing, I have fun.

The work looks great Bob and your view and attitude on the whole thing is top shelf brother! Fun is where its at!!!!![cl

Latest posts

Back