Welding galvanized metal.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Torchie

I am currently working on my project floor and have found some 2'x4' sheets of galvanized steel close by to me. The price sounds right.
The question is this.
What are peoples experience welding galvanized metal?
Are you grinding off the zinc coating first.?
What are you doing in regards to fume issues?
And am I better off just walking away and getting some uncoated steel?
I've got enough health issues with out creating any new ones for myself.
Thanks as always for the responses.
Torchie.

I used to weld and cut galv for a living. Use a respirator and weld in a well ventilated area. My fans broke once in the shop and I ended up with a chemical pneumonia. So don't breath the smoke. But I wouldn't pass on the cheap metal.

I used to weld and cut galv for a living. Use a respirator and weld in a well ventilated area. My fans broke once in the shop and I ended up with a chemical pneumonia. So don't breath the smoke. But I wouldn't pass on the cheap metal.

Pretty much agrees with everything that I have been reading 89johnny. I work in a large area and this time of year usualy have the garage door open. But I do have pets that like to wander into the shop now and then to check up on the old man.

If you are welding in a small enclosed area I would pass on it heavy metal poisoning is not a good thing. how much more expensive is clean metal.

Sill in the pricing process kenny c. This metal was for sale near me and is cut into manageable size pieces. More of a convience than anything. I'm sure that I won't be savings that much but at this point I don't need a Drs appt for Chemical poisoning to add to the 3 others that I already have schedueled this week.:eek: So I will most likely take a pass on the galvanized.
Thanks for the responses.
Torchie.

I used some galvanized, its not terrible. I typically use the wire wheel on the grinder to take it off prior to welding. It will give you flu like symptoms if you breathe in enough of it. I would shy away from it in the future if I had the choice.

Yeah the animals should be ok too as long as the smoke isn't lingering around. I would plasma cut galv all day long no respirator or anything with no problems until those fans broke.

Thanks for the responses guys.
I just swung by the local welding shop which is only about 10 mins from my house.
They are going to get me a quote for some 16 gauge uncoated sheet steel.
Nice guy in the shop area said that he would throw it in his truck and deliver it for me as he goes right by my road on his way home.
I think that he wants to talk cars as well as see the project. I hope he doesn't laugh at my welding abilities.(Or lack there of).
I showed him some pics on my phone and he said. "Oh. You're a tin knocker".
Haven't heard that term used in a while.......
Torchie.

I'd pass on the galvanized too. That's one of the reasons I replaced so much on my cab is they used galvanized on some of the repair panels from before. I got tired of getting whiffs of it quickly.
Cool of the guy to offer that delivery.

I've welded galvanized steel before, it ain't usually pretty when you get done. Even grinding it off, the stuff still spits and pops. The fumes stink, too.
If I were going to use it, I'd be more inclined to drill and pop rivit or screw it down.

Definately not using the galvanized.
About $130 for a 4'x8' sheet of 16 gauge untreated cold roll.
from a steel supply house about 45 minutes from me.
If I lay it our right it should be just enough.
Haven't gotten a price yet from the shop where the guy said that he would drop it off for me. So we will see.
Thanks for all the responses gang.
Torchie.

Smart move, Torchie. That galvanized isn't worth the risk. We hot rodders ingest enough toxins as it is so if you stay away from ones like this it helps.

Don

You are right Don, I'm glad you guys post this stuff for us neophytes. I can't do much but spot weld, but I always cleaned my metal with brake cleaner until I read one of your old posts saying how harmful that was. Thanks to all of you.[;)

i have welded a lot of galvanized steel over the years, stuff doesn't weld very nice. if you do and you get into the smoke you will know. it will leave a kinda sweet taste in your mouth, it you do and you get that taste go get some sweet milk(whole milk) and drink it so you don't get sick. it will make you feel like you got the flu.

Ive been using it on my trans tunnel and the extensions on the bottom of my bed .. Ive got screws holding the tunnel in , but I was planing on welding ,, thanks for the imfo Ill just leave the screws in it ..

You are right Don, I'm glad you guys post this stuff for us neophytes. I can't do much but spot weld, but I always cleaned my metal with brake cleaner until I read one of your old posts saying how harmful that was. Thanks to all of you.[;)

Bruno, you are right, my Son used to do the brake cleaner routine and wasn't feeling well. Nasty stuff when burned.

Don

Latest posts

Back