Wheel adapters.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Torchie

Any one have any experience in using wheel adapters?
I am looking to go from 5 on 5.5 to 5 on 5.
Never been a big fan of these but it opens up some more wheel possibilities for my project.
Not looking to space out the wheel. Just change the pattern.
Thanks.....
Torchie.

I have them on the front of the Lincoln. Went from 5.5 to 4.5. I will probably drill my hubs when I get the money for the rotten Leonard kit. I don't like the way they push my tires out 1.75".

Torchie, I just put a set of two on mine from Jegs. 97.99 free ship. You might have to call them as they don't list all of what they have. Haven't run mine yet but they looked good. worked right. Was about the best price I found also.

I have them on the front of the Lincoln. Went from 5.5 to 4.5. I will probably drill my hubs when I get the money for the rotten Leonard kit. I don't like the way they push my tires out 1.75".

Torchie, I just put a set of two on mine from Jegs. 97.99 free ship. You might have to call them as they don't list all of what they have. Haven't run mine yet but they looked good. worked right. Was about the best price I found also.

They will all set the wheel out some.
Thanks for the replies ....
Moving the wheel outwards in the back of my project wouldn't be a bad thing.
1.75 in the front could be an issue though. Of course some of that might be negated by the rim off set.
I would like to run 15" rims on the custom as it opens up a lot more options for wheel covers. I have thought about redrilling but don't know about that using the OG Ford hub/drums setup. And it seems that a set of the narrower Ford 15'-5 on 5.5 rims are suddenly $$$$$$. So just checking my options.
What about safety issues as I have heard some real horror stories. Or is that because they spaced their wheels out to far.
Torchie.

I think mine set the wheels out 1 1/4" on a side. But that would depend on which adapter you use. In my case, it helped even out the widths of front and rear. Mine will probably test the whole deal with my wide rims...just haven't yet been for that grand spin!

used some on the back of a rod one time. I had the dirt track studs put in mine for extra insurance. I needed the width, so either spacers or new rear end. It worked great for me. I also have heard horror stories about front spacers, but usually because they were way too thick. 3/4 to 1 in. would probably not be a worry IMO.

Here is what I'm planning on doing to mine this spring: http://www.rottenleonard.com/Menu.html

Mine may not be 1.75, they may be 1.5, either way, they were the thinnest I could get without cutting my studs. I got mine off of eBay, paid about $70 IIRC.

They drive fine, so far I've not had any problems with them loosening up. I just don't like the way my tires are close to the fender, without the spacers I think they would sit about right.

Good wheel adapters are fairly expensive...about $300 bucks or so. The best and safest that I know of are both hub centric and wheel centric and are made by Motorsport-tech. I think the owners name is Lenny. Hope this helps, Bill.

Hey Torchie. How's it going?
I've used up to 2" adapters and haven't had any problems.
I think the people that have had trouble bought cheap adapters
and didn't torque and retorque the stud nuts.

I retorqued mine once a week until they quit changing. I think I
ended up retorqueing 3 times. Since then all is well.
Good Luck!

Thanks for all the replies.
I'm doing fine alright POPS. Just following every ones advice and doing some Mental engineering while I wait to get back on the project.

I have seen the rottenleonard drill jig Bama but I don't think that it will work with the old Ford Hub/drums setup.

And I agree with you Yankee. But maybe I'm just paraniod.;)
I
At $300 a set ssimpala they had better work.:) But for that price I could just buy some Vintique wheels.

I have 5 of the original 16" Ford wheels now and I like them it's just that there aren't many wheel cover options for that size other than dog dish or baby moon style caps with a beauty ring.
I have a WTB ad on a couple of Ford forums so we will see what they turn up.
Torchie.

I had some 4"ers made up and ran them over 100,000 miles. I think i've used them on just about every thing i build, can't make my mind up on wheels.

Hope all is going the way you want it to.
See Ya

I run them on my Olds front and back. I think it's 3/4" on the front and 1.5" on the rear. The biggest problem besides having to re-torque them is it can start messing with your steering geometry if you move the wheels out too far. Same with changing back spacing though.

The ones I found range from 3/4" to 2" thick.

This link may help you locate something to change the look or maybe one with different hub cap options and stay Ford wheel pattern.
http://www.roadkillcustoms.com/hot-...p?LugCount=5&StudSpreadInch=5.5&StudSpreadMM=

Thanks for the link smallfoot. Ford ran these rims on their F1-F150 trucks for many years but the newer the rim is. The wider they get. I'm trying to keep this build within a certain time period so too wide of a tire won't look right. At least to me.

I run them on my Olds front and back. I think it's 3/4" on the front and 1.5" on the rear. The biggest problem besides having to re-torque them is it can start messing with your steering geometry if you move the wheels out too far. Same with changing back spacing though.

The ones I found range from 3/4" to 2" thick.

I'm not sure that I want the front track width any wider Sam as the current rims and tire fit it like a stock 41 Ford. I just got a notice from a guy that has a set of 4 but by the time I ship them here it's going to be about $400.:eek: I can recoup some of that by selling my 16" wheels. I also know a local guy that has some. But he is always kind of slow to pull the trigger on a deal.
Not a real urgency at this time but trying to look ahead. We will see what shakes out.
Thanks for all the input.
Torchie.

I got mine from a 4x4 place online for about $70 or so
My rear end is from a car and my front is a truck
The rear was 2 inches narrower and the spacers are exactly 1 each so now all lug patterns are the same and both axles are too.

Hey Torchie... I have used sever wheel adapters and spacers... aything from 5/8" to 2.5" You can score these for about $100-$200 for a good set, cheaper if someone has some they are no longer using.... I've never run into issues of them railing as they are tyically high grade billet / aluminum with good studs... just takes twice as many lug nuts lol

Good luck.... I've ordered them off of e-bay before too and had good results...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-25-inch-5...Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d24cd3c61&vxp=mtr

Good luck!:cool:

Torchie my old brain just caught up [S I may have a pair you can have for shipping, i'll check tonight when i get home. Do you care how thick they are?

Latest posts

Back