Lil Tin Bucket - golf cart #3

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zzrodder

It ain't grey hair, it's chrome!
Off I go on another Kustom Kart build...
Starting with this sad organ donor - '89 Club Car 36 volt, already have it partly chopped up - er... - disassembled. I'll be converting it to 48 volt with a 400 amp controller, 5700 RPM Hi speed motor and 11" hydraulic rear disc brakes. Custom frame and steel body to come in a T bucket style.
Wheels will be 15x10 and 15x4 1/2" Cragar SS with these Pro Trac N 50's and Firestone 125 15s on front.
Going to try to build on my experiences gained from building the last 2 carts - keeping it simple and light is the key to happiness and speed - the mods and the taller tires will bring the top speed close to 30 MPH :D
Also finally sprung for a new MIG welder, Miller 252, it should make life easier and more productive...[;)

Attachments

• DSC00892.jpg
    DSC00892.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 82
  • DSC00884.jpg
    DSC00884.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 93
  • DSC00888.jpg
    DSC00888.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 89
  • DSC00890.jpg
    DSC00890.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 84
I love your cart builds. Have you ever messed with the gas engine powered carts?
Go ahead and impress us as usual.

I think the design of the gas powered carts would limit the body design and overall look of the finished cart, but ZZ could better answer that I'm sure.

ZZ, I can't wait to see what you do with this one! Glad to see you back!

I will be watching, your 30mph estimate seems sporty considering the weight of the new wheels and tires, and the gearing change might mean 30mph after 2000 yds, but it sure seems like you have done this before. [P

Hey zz! Good to see you back! (Sorry for the ribbing in your Packard thread. :p)

N50 Pro Tracs... Cragar SS... sounds like the makings of a "Fad Tee"...

Can't wait to see what you do with this one. Are you going to build the chassis out of aluminum? You will like the new welder, we have one at work and it's a great machine. I have'nt used it for aluminum as we don't have a need for it or a spool gun at work but if it is as much of a step up from my 210 for steel it should be great for aluminum.

I love your cart builds. Have you ever messed with the gas engine powered carts?
Go ahead and impress us as usual.

Haven't done a gas powered one - I like the electric for its simplicity, quietness, no gas or oil to mess with. If you maintain the batteries right, they can last a long time - drawback is the weight tho....

I will be watching, your 30mph estimate seems sporty considering the weight of the new wheels and tires, and the gearing change might mean 30mph after 2000 yds, but it sure seems like you have done this before. [P

Well my last cart has 29" tall tires and it goes 18 MPH, up from the stock 11 MPH. I tried the 5700 RPM motor in it and it went 30 MPH + in 300 ft, so this one should come close with 27.5" tires.

Hey zz! Good to see you back! (Sorry for the ribbing in your Packard thread. :p)

N50 Pro Tracs... Cragar SS... sounds like the makings of a "Fad Tee"...

Yep, that is the plan :)

I think the design of the gas powered carts would limit the body design and overall look of the finished cart, but ZZ could better answer that I'm sure.

ZZ, I can't wait to see what you do with this one! Glad to see you back!

Ya mean like this?? I'm afraid that if I went to a gas motor, there would have to be an upgrade so that tends to lead to 'Tim the Tool Man syndrome' ....:eek:

Attachments

• e5e9b4b080e9d7c724895a7b7b70a3d0.jpg
    e5e9b4b080e9d7c724895a7b7b70a3d0.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 72
This will be a interesting build. I think electric is the way to go also. I love how quite they are. Those high speed motors kick ass too.

That 252 is a fine machine we have a couple of them at work and they can sew up a seem for sure. We use them on our furnace shell and roof at the Steel Mill. We run a .045 dual shield and these machines are awesome.
Im looking at getting something smaller for my shop soon. [;)

Good luck on this build, cant wait to see the progress. [P[P

Finished stripping the donor cart today, not much left except the drive axle and a pile of parts on the bench. I did a quick chaulk layout of the frame with a 90" wheelbase and cut the pieces for the frame rails. Made pockets in the uprights to fit the front leaf spring mounts inside them. The main rails are 2x3", I'll taper the front ends to 2", need to extend them a bit too, I only had 10' of 2x3"

Attachments

• DSC00894.jpg
    DSC00894.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 76
  • DSC00896.jpg
    DSC00896.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 72
  • DSC00898.jpg
    DSC00898.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 92
Put together the main rails with some temp crossmembers. Stubs welded to the rear will hold the bushings for the leaf spring shackle mounts.

Attachments

• DSC00899.jpg
    DSC00899.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 80
  • DSC00902.jpg
    DSC00902.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 75

Latest posts

Back