Rat Rods Rule / Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Rat Rods Rule / Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > LS motors!

LS motors! LS talk & Q&A!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-19-2016, 09:37 AM
Old Iron's Avatar
Old Iron Old Iron is offline
Rusty Rat Rodder
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Willard Mo.
Posts: 10,190
Default LS Surprise

A friend of mine asked if I would change the engine out in 97 GMC
I went and got it and here's what he wants.
A nicely built 5.3 LS taken out and a 488 BBC installed.
I was baffled by the backwards move (in my opinion). What had happened was a local shop tuned the 5.3 for him and the charge was over $500 and he didn't feel like it had made much difference so he wanted to go back to a carbureted engine I could not talk him into putting a carburetor on the LS, he was so soured on it.



Sorry for this bad pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160217_094814941.jpg (91.1 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160218_141459946.jpg (60.1 KB, 90 views)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-19-2016, 09:52 AM
dutch dutch is offline
Rusty Rat Rodder
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 831
Default

so did you trade the ls for the work done...?
I love those big old boat anchors...
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-19-2016, 10:59 AM
Tripper's Avatar
Tripper Tripper is offline
Older and more rusted every day!
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Central Tejas
Posts: 11,631
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Iron View Post
I could not talk him into putting a carburetor on the LS, he was so soured on it.
I think a cam change would have been the ticket! Definitely a step back IMO! I know gas is cheap right now but don't think that's gonna last forever... them BB's can really suck it up!

BoB
__________________
Rust... Mother Nature's paint job... don't fool with Mother Nature!

RRR on Facebook
RRR on Twitter
Wanted: Ratty '35 Olds coupe!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-19-2016, 11:46 AM
05snopro440's Avatar
05snopro440 05snopro440 is offline
Rusty Rat Rodder
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Sherwood Park, Alberta
Posts: 2,454
Default

No offense, but that was a dumb move on his part. So much can be done to wake up an LS, and it was already installed and running! Turbo, cam, supercharger, tons of options...

I don't understand when people choose to go backwards in vehicles. It came with fuel injection, don't go carburetor. Bad!

As penance, I'll take that 5.3.
__________________
My 455 Buick powered '46 GMC Build Thread

My '46 GMC on Photobucket
---------------------------------------------------------------
When you don't know what you're doing, it's best to do it quickly.

And when Iím gone, you can call me foolish but hopefully not boring. I will have lived.

The more I learn about women, the more I like my car.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-19-2016, 12:58 PM
Old Iron's Avatar
Old Iron Old Iron is offline
Rusty Rat Rodder
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Willard Mo.
Posts: 10,190
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutch View Post
so did you trade the ls for the work done...?
I love those big old boat anchors...
No, he had already sold it before I entered the picture
I did get the built 4l60E tho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripper View Post
I think a cam change would have been the ticket! Definitely a step back IMO! I know gas is cheap right now but don't think that's gonna last forever... them BB's can really suck it up!

BoB
It already had this done to it. It sounded badass and ran wicked in my opinion!!!!!!!!!!
I agree on the gas not staying low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05snopro440 View Post
No offense, but that was a dumb move on his part. So much can be done to wake up an LS, and it was already installed and running! Turbo, cam, supercharger, tons of options...

I don't understand when people choose to go backwards in vehicles. It came with fuel injection, don't go carburetor. Bad!

As penance, I'll take that 5.3.
No offense taken, i felt the same way.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Rat Rods Rule Inc.