Another take on a "free" garage

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IAM-LDS-2

16 years ago when I built my retirement house i did not build an attached garage . I built a detached 2 1/2 car garage with an apartment on the second floor . It cost me around 50K to build . The apt has been rented for 14 years and nets me $500 / month =$84,000 - $50,000 (to build ) = $34,000 cash in my pocket so far , a free to build and own heated and air conditioned garage to hang out in , comfortaby . Just sayin .

So, do you work in it?
What about the tenant, no complaints about the noise [ddd

Good questions , Tenants all have gone to work , being retired I do all my " garage " work in the day time . When ever i intended to work at night I did the noisy stuff ahead of time and always stopped before 9 .Now as i approach 80 i rarely have enough energy left at the end of the day to work in the garage . Always kept the rent low enough so i never had any complaints .

Attachments

• 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 75
My plan for today was , after taking my 3 mile walk I would work out side till noon , eat lunch and then work in the garage . By noon time it was in mid 80's Went to the garage and tenant had the AC on , boy that sure felt good - stayed in there all afternoon .

Not bad, having a shop that pays itself off...

I think it is even better that you are approaching 80 and going out working in the garage. I am 60 and often wonder how much longer I will be able to do this stuff. Makes me feel good, to hear you story. Jim

If ya quit building, ya die...

My Dad had a similar take on that. Not a car guy but he always said you stop you die. He was 94 when he passed and was still a month before he passed. I am living by that too. I just wish it was a little easier to get off the ground. :( Jim

Latest posts

Back