Friend hit the road in mid 60's car!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tripper

Older and more rusted every day!
So a friend of mine bought his girlfriend a mid 60's convertible & they decided to hit the open road. They broke down 4-5 times far away from home from electrical problems. Burned a coil & fried 3 alternators.... kraziest thing I ever heard. And posted their trials on FB. First thing I do when I buy an old car is... totally rewire the whole car... guess I'm just not that brave?!? [S:eek:

BoB

Was this the trip home or a road trip without checking out the car?

We've traveled with people who bought a car and didn't check it out thoroughly. It can be... aggravating.

How far of a trip was this? 3 alternators in a road trip is pretty poor mileage!

Was this the trip home or a road trip without checking out the car?

We've traveled with people who bought a car and didn't check it out thoroughly. It can be... aggravating.

How far of a trip was this? 3 alternators in a road trip is pretty poor mileage!

Yeah... road trip! Texas to Arkansas! Krazy!!!

One of the last alternators was producing 13.5v but he said that wasn't enough & got a new one that was putting out 14v.

Yea, I'm gonna at least do a twice over and short runs, before doing a long road trip.
I find that most low voltage alternators are not to blame. The battery wire coming off the back of the alternators are, 98 time out of a hundred, too small.
At least in my experience.

I forgot it on the side of the road after I finished fixing something that could have been easily prevented :p[cl

X2. I try to work on my junk at home not on the side of the road in the ran drove up on rock so I can get under it to reach the fuel line coming from the tank:rolleyes:

I'd rather fix a 60's car on the side of the road, than tow a computer controlled, pump in tank, touch screen, whiz bang, what the hell is wrong with this thing @ the going shop rate!

I'd rather fix a 60's car on the side of the road, than tow a computer controlled, pump in tank, touch screen, whiz bang, what the hell is wrong with this thing @ the going shop rate!

Amen! I like being able to stand on either side of the motor and see anything on the motor...

I always shake a new car down with short runs close to home first! I hate getting stranded in the middle of nowhere for no good reason! I'm sure your friend's girlfriend was impressed! [S

Toad

Latest posts

Back