What Did Ya Get Done This Weekend?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
we have some big county like that here but no running rivers through them i will get some Badlands pick up for ya the white and red clay and rough terane makes for some good pickture takein even if ya grew up in the county it never gets old

As tripper said we got my motor out, which took a little work.... and at one point may have set the car on fire...... but its out now and i can try to put the next one in soon.

Canyonlands, Green River, overlook, the other one is Grand View. 1-1/2 hours from my house. I can't believe you have been there, and didn't swing by.:D

Maybe next time. We'll very likely be passing through Fruita in about 2 weeks or so. Black 2002 Explorer Sport Trac - keep an eye out!;)

Ever been to Goblin State Park in Utah? That place is crazy.

Dolly!

Built a rolling dolly for the pu cab I'm fixin' to turn into a roadster! My nephew is outta school & I'm gonna hire him to be my gopher so he can make a lil summer $$$ and give him a taste of some car buildin'!!! He already wants me to build him a car but I'm definitely gonna do it all by myself!!! :D:D:D

BoB

Broke a new Eastwood drum puller in the first few minutes and sent it back.Beat on the '40 ford rear brake drums on the A for a several hours until they finally came off. Found the brake cyls to be frozen,obviously the reason the rear brakes won't bleed out right? Apparently never driven after the hydraulic conversion , all new parts,clean, no brake dust. It sat for many years in Hermasillo Mexico however.
Went for a very enjoyable early Sunday morning ride on the Rustasuki.
Returned and got the brakes back together only to find they won't bleed out
any better than before :(

IMG_3468.jpg

Last edited:
Got rear end set up and spring perches welded in. Went to 4 baseball games and drank a lot. Oh yeah, went to Niftee 50tee's show Saturday night. Church this morning.

Last night Dan and I went to the shop and worked on mounting his fuel tank and lines. Got the mounts figured out and where the electric pump and regulator are going to go.

A few weeks ago I bought a commercial grade vertical metal cutting bandsaw and a 6 x 48 belt sander from a guy who was closing up his metal working shop. The belt sander scares the heck out of me because it runs so fast, and it has a 12 inch disc sander on the side that also runs way too fast. Last night Dan was shaping a piece of steel on the disc portion and the sanding disc exploded and it grazed his face. It knocked his safety glasses sideways on his face and put a good cut on his nose and cheek. I don't think he will have any permanent scarring as the cut wasn't real deep, but we are not plugging that thing in again until we can figure out how to slow it way down. If we can't do that we are going to put it in the dumpster so no one else will get hurt either. It's a shame too because it is a really heavy old cast iron one that you couldn't bog down if you tried.

Don

Last night Dan was shaping a piece of steel on the disc portion and the sanding disc exploded and it grazed his face. It knocked his safety glasses sideways on his face and put a good cut on his nose and cheek. I don't think he will have any permanent scarring as the cut wasn't real deep,

Ouch..Don, that could have been very serious.:( So glad Dan wasn't hurt bad. You guys will figure out away to slow that thing down and make good use of it. Looking forward to more cool stuff coming out of your shop.
Good Luck.
Fuzz

Last night Dan and I went to the shop and worked on mounting his fuel tank and lines. Got the mounts figured out and where the electric pump and regulator are going to go.

A few weeks ago I bought a commercial grade vertical metal cutting bandsaw and a 6 x 48 belt sander from a guy who was closing up his metal working shop. The belt sander scares the heck out of me because it runs so fast, and it has a 12 inch disc sander on the side that also runs way too fast. Last night Dan was shaping a piece of steel on the disc portion and the sanding disc exploded and it grazed his face. It knocked his safety glasses sideways on his face and put a good cut on his nose and cheek. I don't think he will have any permanent scarring as the cut wasn't real deep, but we are not plugging that thing in again until we can figure out how to slow it way down. If we can't do that we are going to put it in the dumpster so no one else will get hurt either. It's a shame too because it is a really heavy old cast iron one that you couldn't bog down if you tried.

Don

That could have been pretty bad,But you can slow it down. You just need a Variable Frequency Drive. It will adjust the RPM's on the motor to your desired setting.

There are many different ones avalible. I am starting to see them on the newer higher end drill presses also. We use many where I work to slow down machinery. They work really well. That page is just an example. You will need to find out what you are running for a motor to figure the one that will suit you best.

Thanks Fuzz and George. I wondered about those variable speed controls, but I wondered if the reduced voltage would damage the motor? Or does it somehow do it differently that is ok? I really would like to keep the thing, but it honestly scares the h*** out of me, even before Dan's incident. I mean, it goes like a bazillion rpms , never saw one like this. It disintegrated a Norton 12 inch disc like it was paper. :eek: It was evidently a commercial grade one as it probably weighs 150 lbs, and has adjustments and stuff everywhere on it.

I am going to do some research on line and see what I can dig up. If any one has some experience with something like this I'd be grateful.

Thanks, Don

sander

Thanks Fuzz and George. I wondered about those variable speed controls, but I wondered if the reduced voltage would damage the motor? Or does it somehow do it differently that is ok? I really would like to keep the thing, but it honestly scares the h*** out of me, even before Dan's incident. I mean, it goes like a bazillion rpms , never saw one like this. It disintegrated a Norton 12 inch disc like it was paper. :eek: It was evidently a commercial grade one as it probably weighs 150 lbs, and has adjustments and stuff everywhere on it.

I am going to do some research on line and see what I can dig up. If any one has some experience with something like this I'd be grateful.

Thanks, Don

don, what brand is the sander? alot of those older machines used a 1725 motor,and when the motor wore out they got a new style motor that ran at 3450 rpm . but the pulley wasnt changed to adjust rpm of the faster motor speed. long way of saying to change the pulley diameter to slow the sanding belt and sanding disc. down. try www.owwm.com for info on your sander.

That is the problem, the motor is direct drive, no pulleys. On one end of this big old motor is a drum that drives the belt portion and on the other is the 12 inch sanding disc. The tag on the motor fell off at some point in time so I don't know who made it, the HP rating, or anything. I just know it runs about 3 times as fast as I want. No kidding, when it is running you really don't want to get near it as the belt is whipping around like mad, and two have broken already, even before the disc exploded. :eek:

I did some brief research on line yesterday and made a few calls, but still haven't found a speed controller for a 120 volt motor. I'll take some pictures of the sander and post them next time I go to the shop.

Don

What did you get done this weekend?!

Usually Gastrick asks this question after the weekend but since he's not able to be around as much lately... I'm gonna fill in for him today!

I personally worked on gettin' the interior sheet metal finished on my PU & installed my new Gennie shifter! What did u get done?!?

BoB

Dug out the 47 Lincoln Club Coupe and put on some round tires that hold air. Loaded up and delivered the engine and transmission for the 59 Fairlane 500 Retractible I sold. Started to pull the front brake backing plates off the 47 Lincoln 4 Door to put on the 34 Ford. Showed the Bronco, Challenger, Chevelle, and Rat Rod to potential buyers. Sold the Challenger!
Didn't have a chance to work on the Stude.

Latest posts

Back