"Custom Vehicle/Street Rod" Program Texas

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ruff Shod

While at the tax office to get info on registering my 69 Bronco from Alabama, the ladies gave me info on registering a Street/Rat Rod.

Thought it may be helpful.

The short version....

Registration and Title Bulletin #004-12 Policy & Procedure 29MAR12

"Custom Vehicle" is defined as a vehicle manufactured before 1949; or after 1948 to resemble a vehicle that is at least 25 years old and of a model year after 1948; and has been altered from the manufacturer's original design, or has a body constructed from materials not original to the vehicle.

"Street Rod" is defined as a vehicle that was manufactured before 1949; or after 1948 to resemble a vehicle manufactured before 1949; and has been altered from the manufacturer's original design, or has a body constructed from materiasl not original to the vehicle.

Vehicle must pass an ASE safety inspection.
ASE Tech must complete and sign the Form VTR-852.

No fees for plate, but the annual registration and applicable local fees must be paid. Plates may be personalised for an additional $40 per year.

Vehicle must be branded as a "REPLICA", so the customer may need to apply for a corrected Texas title in order to obtain the REPLICA brand. (I think this only pertains to people selling rods)

Initial application for Texas title:

* Ownership documents for each major component (frame, motor, body)
* Form VTR-61 (Rebuilt Vehicle Statement)
* Verification of serial number or VIN of each major component. Acceptible verifications include pencil tracing or Form VTR-68-A
* Certified weight certificate
* Completed Form 130-U (App for Texas Certificate of Title)
* 3 photos (front, rear, side) and one photo of motor vehicle that it resembles
* Proof of liability insurance

Thats most of it. Sure there is more. Just thought this may be useful stuff.

Hey Ruff, that's what the lady here in Sweeny told me I have to do with my VW. I ask her what am I to use as a title? I don't have one for the VW body and the DPS computers don't show the 1972 tags or the serial number. Kind of screwed there. And the 429 doesn't have serial numbers, just casting numbers. She looked at me and said the only other option would be a bonded title for a homebuilt vehicle. And that requires emission testing for the year it was completed. I don't believe the 429 would pass that. I guess I've got to find another Ghia with a title and get the serial number plates mixed up. Just pass the whole thing off as a '61 Ghia. I'm kind of lost on this stuff. Thanks for posting that.

Latest posts

Back