I got my title the legal beagle way

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhilJohnson

Last fall I bought a 1950 Dodge Coronet for 500 bucks from a dealership about an hour away from my house. Everything was cool, it seemed in decent shape, ran, even had brakes. So I decided to buy it. The dealer had advertised the car as a 1951. After looking up Coronets on the net I quickly realized that I had a 1950 model. I brushed it off as maybe an error on the part of the dealer in the ad. Two weeks later I show up with my truck and trailer ready to bring it home. A quick check of the VIN on the vehicle revealed that the VIN was nowhere near a match:confused: I took the Dodge home anyway since it was well worth 500 bucks and left the obviously wrong title with the dealer (West Side Auto in Eau Claire).

The dealer said he was going to look and see if there was a title mix up. A little digging by the dealer revealed that the car had been titled wrong since the early 80s. He tracked back the car through 2 owners, one guy was dead so the trail went cold. He offered my money back, plus he would transport the car back and sell it for parts. I looked at the Dodge, it ran good, I even took it out for a 24 mile jaunt. I told him not to worry about it and I'd look into seeing what I could do to title it. Westside then sent me all the money I had spent on tax and registration:D I asked for some advice on a few forums, most folks suggesting buying a "historical document" but that didn't sit well with me.

So I did my own research, had a VIN verification sheet sent to my house. A friendly State Trooper did the deed. I then called the dealer and told him that I could indeed get it registered but I'd need a bill of sale from him and mentioned I'd probably need a title bond. He asked me what the cost would be, I said 100 bucks. So he sent me another 100 bucks to cover the cost of the bond. I have to say for everyone saying how bad dealers are this guy is the real deal.

I sort of stalled out on the registration process after the snow started falling. I sent in the paperwork in June this year. I got more letters asking for more information (like pictures of the car, and a written statement how I got the car). I then got another letter a month later stating that I would need a title bond (which I expected). I finally got the title bond during the beginning of August, sent it in and then about a month later I got an envelope from the DMV.

I excitedly tore into it, hoping to see a freshly printed title with my name on it. I started pulling the paper out of the envelope, the familiar coloration and border of a Wisconsin title poked out of the ripped up envelope. I had gotten my title, no stamping of fake VIN plates, no buying overpriced historical documents for hundreds of dollars needed. It does say that a bond was posted for the car on the title but other than that it looks like a normal title.

The whole process was only a hundred dollars more than the regular registration process. The hundred bucks was for the title bond. It wasn't complicated although I had to do a little verbal arm twisting with a grouchy DMV guy over the phone to convince him that yes there was a such thing as a VIN verification form. The guy that handles the actual issuing of bonded titles was very easy to work with and answered all my questions with no attitude. If I hadn't procrastinated I would have had a title within a month and a half or less. It was really easy and at least in Wisconsin it seems like just doing things the right way isn't any harder or more expensive than doing it the wrong way.

Having a title in my name has given me a little boost on the project. The poor Dodge hasn't been touched since last fall. As of now I have the starter getting rebuilt and the gas tank removed so I can clean it and repaint it. I would like to have it on the road before the leaves fall off the trees. I don't have any recent pictures of the beast so this one from last fall will have to suffice:

o217448593.jpg

Congrats, I know where you are coming from. I have just went through the same thing with my Model A, it actually feels like quite the accomplishment walking out of the DMV/MTO with a freshly printed title in your own name. Now that I have done it once, won't hesitate to do it again to be honest. Only thing that wasn't great on my end was I had to pay tax on the purchase...

Yuppers, there ya go. All you guys who are always asking and trying to dodge doing the right thing, this should be a good lesson. Do your homework and do it right. Nice ride for 5 bills btw.
It's also a good lesson to double check the vin on the title against the car before you shell out the dough. I hafta say I usually don't.

when i first joined this site (new to rods)
i asked what was up with all these "historical documents"
i am not willing to commit fraud over a car.

that is one heckuva car you got there!

Nice, I have a guy with a 61 Caddy for the same price that I have been thinking about but it has a title issue, this makes me want to go after it.

It only took the DMV 3 weeks to sent back my paperwork denied, But they said I only have to have two things noterize and resubmit and I'll get my vin plate then it's off to the DMV for a title.

Different states seem to be a hit or miss as far as getting a new tittle.. WI seems to be a fairly easy process.. I bought my truck from a guy in WI.. he got a new title for it before I bought it, its been transfered to my name... I am glad I bought a truck that had a tittle with it.. I hear IL is terribly difficult to a title...

But definitely a great score for 500..!

That is one might fine ride for 500....

surprised a "dealer" would let it go so cheap.....but....his loss is your gain....nice score and good that you did it the right way.....[cl

Might I just add to this thread a small bit of advise. For Wisconsin Titles as you have explained, you will need everything you stated...AND your vehicle needs to be in OPERATING CONDITION at the time you apply for your title bond. I am working on a 1951 Ford F1, and I can not apply for a title until I have it running/driving. Just a heads up for any of our friends in Wisconsin.

i had reciepts for all my parts and steel.
took me about 20 minutes (minus waiting)
$126 to title the 27 chevy as a home built 2012 car
ps.
i got a free 8 hour permit to drive the car to the dmv

Might I just add to this thread a small bit of advise. For Wisconsin Titles as you have explained, you will need everything you stated...AND your vehicle needs to be in OPERATING CONDITION at the time you apply for your title bond. I am working on a 1951 Ford F1, and I can not apply for a title until I have it running/driving. Just a heads up for any of our friends in Wisconsin.

I did not have to have the vehicle in operating condition and the folks at the bonding company didn't seem to care whether the car was running or not.

Good for you, doing it the right way. That car was a steal at $500.

It always amazes me how people suggest registering a car illegally. I stopped a guy for speeding and I always look at the vin numbers. They looked "hinky" so I arrested him and had the car impounded. Auto Theft came out and found the hidden vin, the car was stolen. He had done a vin switch with a salvaged car.

Good for you, doing it the right way. That car was a steal at $500.

It always amazes me how people suggest registering a car illegally. I stopped a guy for speeding and I always look at the vin numbers. They looked "hinky" so I arrested him and had the car impounded. Auto Theft came out and found the hidden vin, the car was stolen. He had done a vin switch with a salvaged car.

i am not willing to commit a class two or class three felony over a car.
i like voting, owning guns the ability to get a visa
little things like that.....

So you need to put all your time and effort and moneyinto building your car/truck before you know if you can even get a Title. Thats sounds so wrong! Thats not good advise (not saying you are wrong) but I would have to see if I could get a title before I started.

Latest posts

Back