Buying a motorcycle, need the title in my name, question

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmlcolorado

Here's the background, buddy bought a bike, signed the title, but has not yet taken it to the DMV for their paper trail.
I've had it in the shop for a few years now and nothing's been done to it.

Does he need insurance, and fully register it in his name to get a title issued to him before I purchase it from him?

This thing has been totally ripped down, but is all factory. No cuts made, all factory parts in a bucket. So in theory, I could quickly rebuild the bike if needed.

He purchased from a seller in this state, so it's not out of state and I don't think a Vin check will be required.

As long as it was signed right on the back of the title he should have no problems. If his name is on the back he will have to get it transferred into his name first get the new title then transfer it to you. If it is a Colorado Title all he has to do is take the title down to the DMV, No insurance is needed if he is not getting plates, No vin inspection will be required. They may make a deal over the title if it was dated years back, Don't even mention the bike being tore down. If asked why the long laps just say it has been in storage and was forgot about.

As long as it was signed right on the back of the title he should have no problems. If his name is on the back he will have to get it transferred into his name first get the new title then transfer it to you. If it is a Colorado Title all he has to do is take the title down to the DMV, No insurance is needed if he is not getting plates. They may make a deal over the title if it was dated years back, Don't even mention the bike being tore down. If asked why the long laps just say it has been in storage and was forgot about.

Good deal. That's kinda what I figured, but wasn't sure.
Thanks mike!

Latest posts

Back